Behind the Draft '06

Discussion in 'Toronto Raptors' started by Chutney, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

This show was on RapsTV today and it was pretty interesting. Some things that I found interesting:

-BC was talking about trading for TJ before the draft, but ultimately decided to do it after the draft. Also, those Brevin Knight rumours apparently had some substance, as Colangelo was willing to get serious about it, but Bickerstaff said he was only "discussing."

-They had it narrowed down to 2 prospects and, in the last 48 hours, the medical/psychological information that came out convinced them to go with Bargnani. Seems like they might have eliminated a player like Aldridge or Morrison, if something interesting with health came up.

-Colangelo definitely sees Bargnani as becoming the versatile, Nowitzki-esque 5 for this team down the road.

-After the Bulls made their two picks (Tyrus and Sefolosha), BC started asking Paxson about Luol Deng, thinking he may have been the odd man out (he thought Tyrus was more of a 3 than a 4, and Thabo was more of a 3 than a 2). Paxson wasn't interested.

-Contrary to what many think, Colangelo was very interested in getting another pick in the 1st round to draft a PG. He was particularly high on Marcus Williams and talked to Philly and Utah, among others, to see if they would be willing to trade. It seems like the asking price was too high, though.

-BC began to suspect that there was something wrong with Williams, that he didn't know about, after Philly passed up on him. He called Danny Ainge who wouldn't tell him anything.

-Colangelo thought about trading their 35th pick for cash (1 mill), but Jim Kelly was really high on PJ Tucker (he thought he would be picked in the late 1st round).

-They had no interest in using the 56th pick, and tried to pawn it off on Washington, Dallas, Charlotte, and Milwaukee, before the Sixers took it.

2. dunksworth

dunksworth JBB JustBBall Member

They showed this a while ago, I'm surprised no one made a thread on it until now. Noteworthy things imo:

- got to see BC and Mitchell's reactions the exact moment Larry Harris offered TJ. Mitchell seemed the most elated at the thought of finally having a true point guard. What worries me though is that I got the feeling that they got a little TOO happy and never bothered to realize how much they're actually giving up. It seemed like it was a done deal from the moment the offer was made. I hope to god BC explored other options before agreeing to the deal.

- BC seemed ready to trade the 35th pick for 1mill, but fortunately Jim Kelly was there to tell him to keep the pick and choose PJ. Who knows, maybe BC would've picked PJ with or without the presence of Jim Kelly, but I got the feeling that he was more interested in the 1mill.

- BC was really trying hard to get Marcus Williams. Sucks that he couldn't work out a deal w/ anyone cuz I would've loved to see him here.

- Wayne Embry is a lot less involved than I expected. Looked like even Mitchell had more say on the decisions being made.... Who knows though, maybe he's just camera shy or I couldn't just hear him b/c he didn't have a mic.

Overall, very good show this time around (unlike the crap they showed last season, which could've been really good considering we had 4 picks).

3. deception

deception JBB Banned Member

its amazing to see how a nba war room works, clearly colangelo is the man in charge, although, i think he listens to dissenting viewpoints, e.g sam mitchell views. indicative of his take charge mentality is -"turn up the volume!!!" contrast that with the behind the draft from the grunwald days and u'll see that jim kelly was as part of the decision making process as grunwald and oh yeah- where was peddie? peddie was omnipresent in every other behind the draft except for this one.

observations
    -yeah they were looking for mo williams and tj was the result, to the delight of sam mitchell, i like what colangelo said to mitchell, "your probably not going to get any sleep tonight" when word of the pending trade went down
    -anybody catch how ticked off colangelo got at bernie bikerstaff (sp.) for wavering on the trade discussion?
    -i agree with dunksworth, glad to have jim kelly in the war room to push for pj tucker
    -fyi- under babcock, jim kelly had become a paid nothing from published reports
    -i love the part where colangelo's trying to get info on marcus williams dropping and he says i'll call danny ainge, he'll tell me.

4. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting deception:</div><div class="quote_post">-i love the part where colangelo's trying to get info on marcus williams dropping and he says i'll call danny ainge, he'll tell me</div>
    lol yea. And then Ainge proceeds to say nothing, because "it wouldn't be fair."

btw dunksworth, I got the impression that Colangelo and co. were already resigned to the fact that Charlie was going to be traded. They didn't mention him once when talking about building a team and they obviously knew Bargnani's game was redundant with CV's. It seemed like they were just trying to find out how much they could get for him.

This was the first "Behind the Draft" I've ever seen. What was the war room like with Babcock/Grundwald? I was impressed with the balance BC showed, between taking charge and differring to his associates.

5. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    Nice, you got RapsTV. Loving the Bulls/Heat game right now.

I saw parts of it last night too. They have it every year, it's really interesting to see how they do things in the war room. The Babcock editions were hilarious, especially when they picked Araujo.

6. Skiptomylue11

Skiptomylue11 JBB JustBBall Member

^^What happened during the Araujo draft? did they talk about drafting anyone else? (Iggy, Josh Smith?)

Who really wanted Araujo in the draft room for the Raps? was Embry agreeing to it, or Peddie, or anyone else?

7. deception

deception JBB Banned Member

<div class="quote_poster">SkiptoMyLue11 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">^^What happened during the Araujo draft? did they talk about drafting anyone else? (Iggy, Josh Smith?)

Who really wanted Araujo in the draft room for the Raps? was Embry agreeing to it, or Peddie, or anyone else?</div>

published reports suggest babcock wanted iggy but mcloskey (sp.) pushed hard for hoffa, if they didn't follow through- he threatened to resign. i also remember a pre draft special on raps tv where alex english was admitting he would pick josh smith if it was up to him.

btw locke- me thinks its the new ball; the defending champions couldn't have played that bad. professional is not a word u use in the same sentence when describing some of the heat players in respects to work ethic, i.e. shaq and walker

8. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting deception:</div><div class="quote_post">published reports suggest babcock wanted iggy but mcloskey (sp.) pushed hard for hoffa, if they didn't follow through- he threatened to resign. i also remember a pre draft special on raps tv where alex english was admitting he would pick josh smith if it was up to him.</div>
    I didn't really know much about McCloskey, but apparently the dude was a real dumbass with the Raps. Someone told me he was responsible for the Chris Jeffries pick as well. If that story's true, it's beyond ridiculous.

9. norespect

norespect JBB gotta nuke something...

<div class="quote_poster">Chutney Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">
    -Contrary to what many think, Colangelo was very interested in getting another pick in the 1st round to draft a PG. He was particularly high on Marcus Williams and talked to Philly and Utah, among others, to see if they would be willing to trade. It seems like the asking price was too high, though.
    </div>

Supposedly alot of gm's were afraid of his past actions (stealing laptops).
    Colangelo seemed like a little kid and really didn't know what he was doing. Maybe its just me, perhaps gm's constatly call each other and ask for opinions....but it seems to me that that shows weakness

10. ohmybosh

ohmybosh JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">norespect Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Supposedly alot of gm's were afraid of his past actions (stealing laptops).
    Colangelo seemed like a little kid and really didn't know what he was doing. Maybe its just me, perhaps gm's constatly call each other and ask for opinions....but it seems to me that that shows weakness</div>

Brian did not expect Marcus getting picked that late.
    So it's more of Brian didnt WANNA know about marcus williams.
    I thought he looked 1000000 times better than rob babcock's show last yr.

11. a13x

a13x JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Chutney Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I didn't really know much about McCloskey, but apparently the dude was a real dumbass with the Raps. Someone told me he was responsible for the Chris Jeffries pick as well. If that story's true, it's beyond ridiculous.</div>

Well .. aparently McCloskey was responsible for a whole lot more than that. When conducting the GM search, McCloskey recomended Babcock about 3-4 months before the draft. Peddie balked and did a comprehensive search of nothing. So, later on in the game before the draft was about to start, McCloskey threatened to walk out with all our scouts if we didn't hire Babcrap. Peddie, realizing he should probably be selling packages of pizza-pops (he used to work for pillsbury) decided to hire babcock because he basically had no other choice. The rest we all know; McCloskey recomended his stupid draft choise and got tanked this year by colangelo.