Arenas Pours 46 as Wizards Rout Knicks

Discussion in 'Washington Wizards' started by dsounG, Feb 25, 2006.

1. dsounG

dsounG BBW Elite Member

WASHINGTON, Feb. 25 (Ticker) -- Gilbert Arenas clearly was not impressed by the New York Knicks' revamped backcourt. Arenas scored 46 points, one shy of his career high, as the Washington Wizards cruised to a 110-89 victory over the struggling Knicks. It was the 10th win in the last 13 games for the Wizards (29-25), who climbed within 2 1/2 games of the idle Cleveland Cavaliers (32-23) for fourth place in the Eastern Conference standings. Coming off a 26-point outing in Washington's 102-94 triumph over Cleveland on Friday, Arenas picked up where he left off. The All-Star guard exploded for 33 points in the first half, one point shy of Michael Jordan's franchise record for points in a half. Arenas finished 13-of-16 from the floor, 7-of-10 from the arc and 13-of-14 from the free-throw line. Despite being one point away from matching his career high of 47 points set against Miami on December 30, Arenas unselfishly decided to go to the bench while the Wizards reserves played the fourth quarter of a blowout. Antonio Daniels scored 14 points off the bench and Antawn Jamison added 13 for Washington, which has won nine straight home games. It is the franchise's longest home winning streak since a 15-game run from February 9-April 7, 1989. Stephon Marbury scored 15 points for the Knicks, who have dropped 19 of their last 21. It was New York's second game since acquiring three-time All-Star guard Steve Francis, who finished with just nine points and two assists in 27 minutes. The Knicks new backcourt tandem of Marbury and Francis has looked shaky in its first two games together. New York struggled offensively in a 94-90 loss to New Jersey on Friday, and the Knicks' effort was even worse in this one. They committed 27 turnovers, allowed the Wizards to shoot 51 percent (35-of-69) and trailed at halftime, 71-45. After attempting to guard Arenas throughout most of the first half, Marbury left the game 55 seconds before the break with a left shoulder injury. It was an aggravation of a previous ailment for Marbury, who did not return in the second half. http://www.nba.com/games/20060225/NYKWAS/boxscore.htmlGilbert would've went for a Career High if he played even more.

2. knicksfan3

knicksfan3 Nets Season Ticket Holder - Section 225

If I was Arenas I would have stayed in and scored 70 to further embarass the Knicks cause that is what they need to have happen to them from now on for the rest of the season. Nobody was impressive tonight for NY and everything went right for the Wizards.

3. Zards

Zards The People's Champ

The best thing about this is that Gil only needed to attempt 13 shots to help get him 46. If Kobe were to get 46 or more, he'd need 25+ shots. Gil Kills :boogie:

4. Bassy4MVP

Bassy4MVP BBW Banned

I missed the 2nd straight Wizard game!!!! But its all good, I saw the highlights. G-money was knocking them down yesterday hitting all types of threes. I liked that one play where he crossed up Francis and shot a three and drained it.1 Point shy of his career high but he played greaty.Hopefully tonight I will see them take on San Antonio.

5. dsounG

dsounG BBW Elite Member

I bet he will score 25- against San Antonio [​IMG]

6. Zards

Zards The People's Champ

What the hell? The Wizards arent playing anyone tonight...Anyways, Gil Kills :boogie:

7. Dagameplayer

Dagameplayer BBW Member

That's cause they just got done playing 2 games back to back and ususally when a team has 2 games back to back they don't have another game to about 2 or 3 days later. I sure as heck wouldn't want a team to have to do 3 games back to back.