Lakers rally from 21 points down to stop Yao, Rockets

Discussion in 'Los Angeles Lakers' started by Bahir, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Bahir

Bahir User power factor: ∞

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Down 21 points after poor shooting and 13 turnovers in the first half, Kobe Bryant still believed the Los Angeles Lakers could win.

It just took longer than he expected.

Bryant scored a season-high 53 points in a 112-101 double-overtime victory over the Houston Rockets on Friday night.

The Lakers trailed until the final 1? minutes of regulation, then squeaked out a back-and-forth first overtime before scoring the first nine points of the second OT to pull away.

"I felt like the game was ours, as funny as that sounds," Bryant said. "When I have that type of sensation, you kind of fall into a trap, kind of sit back a little too much because you feel like you're never out of it."

Bryant got it going, resulting in his 13th career game of 50 or more points. This one came against Yao Ming, who led the Rockets with 35 points, 15 rebounds and a career-high eight blocked shots.

"I don't know about if he imposed his will," Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said about Bryant. "He imposed his skill, I know that."

Bryant made 14 of 16 free throws, added 10 rebounds and eight assists in the Lakers' first overtime game of the season.

"We had a couple baskets here and there from other guys as we went along, but I had to go to Kobe to get accomplished what we had to do in a win," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said.

Smush Parker added 17 points for the Lakers, including two consecutive baskets on assists from Bryant that helped force the first overtime.

"We buckled down and played some defense. That's all it took," Parker said. "It's a big victory for us, fighting from 21 points down without one of our best players on the team."

Tuesday night, the Lakers blew most of a 27-point lead before handing the Rockets their second home loss of the season, 102-94. Lamar Odom sprained his knee in that game and will be out at least a month.

Bryant's first basket of the second overtime was a driving, one-handed dunk over the 7-foot-6 Yao, then Parker hit a 3-pointer and the Lakers led 104-99.

"It felt great for me," said Bryant, who sprained his right ankle recently. "It confirmed for me that my legs are back because that's in the second overtime. Playing long minutes, I'm still able to get to the basket and explode."

Bryant added three more points in the 9-0 spurt for a 108-99 lead before Alston scored Houston's lone basket in the final 5 minutes.

"No matter how many points Kobe Bryant scored, we killed ourselves by turning the ball over, missing help on defense and missing defensive assignments," Alston said. "The quality of shots we started to take at times was uncharacteristic of us."

The Rockets dissolved in misses and miscues trying to salvage a game they led by 21 points in the first half. Alston had two turnovers and Yao was scoreless as Bryant kept hitting right to the end of his game-high 54-minute performance.

Yao picked up his fifth foul in the first overtime, and later complained about the officiating after getting to the free throw line six times in the game.

"They (the referees) were letting their big guys keep pushing me. I would say Kwame Brown and Andrew Bynum fouled me 10 times. That's not fair," he said.

"I know I'm big, but that's not my fault. They let them have two hands pushing on my back and keep pushing while I'm shooting the ball. I wish the league or somebody can help with this and look at the film. They don't let me do that, so why do they let them do it?"

The teams traded baskets in the first five-minute overtime. Yao answered Bryant's running jumper with a short one of his own for a tie at 99 with 56 seconds left.

Alston lost control of the ball in the backcourt, but regained it and got it upcourt to Yao, who missed a 14-footer with 2 seconds left.

On the Lakers' final play, Luke Walton inbounded to Bryant, who also missed a 14-footer at the buzzer, forcing the second overtime.

As good as the Lakers were in the third quarter -- outscoring Houston 25-13 to get within six -- they were erratic in the fourth, getting close, then missing shots that would have put them in front.

Houston went on a 9-0 run, including five in a row by Bonzi Wells, that boosted its lead to 13 points.

The Lakers closed to 81-74 on a three-point play by Parker and Bryant's basket, then Bryant missed on two straight possessions. They trailed 81-78 before Brown missed three consecutive free throws and Yao ran off four in a row.

"We got upset with ourselves, but we never panicked," Walton said. "We got guys that don't give up on this team."

Yao fouled Bryant, who made both for an 85-81 deficit with 3 minutes remaining. Bryant went to the line again, made both and fed Parker for a 3-pointer from the right corner that gave the Lakers their first lead, 86-85 with 1:34 remaining.

Luther Head's reverse layup put the Rockets back in front before Bryant assisted on Parker's layup, then went to the line in place of Brown and hit a free throw for an 89-87 lead.

Yao tied the game on a turnaround jumper with 28 seconds to go.

Bryant missed a 15-footer from the right side with 4 seconds left. Brown fouled Head and Houston got the ball out of bounds. Shane Battier inbounded, but Alston turned the ball over and Brown stole it, putting up a desperation shot that missed at the buzzer to force the first overtime.

Bryant scored 17 points in the second quarter, but he couldn't help the Lakers avoid season lows for points in a half (35) and field-goal percentage (34.2). They trailed 53-35 at the break.

"We didn't have any rhythm. It was gross," Walton said.

The Lakers scored a season-worst 10 points in the first quarter, when they committed nine turnovers and shot 20 percent.</div>

Full recap at ESPN.com
    Box score

Woohoo! Kobe gets 53 points, along with 10 rebounds and 8 assists, and we win! Smush seems to have played well, and Luke too.

2. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

Kobe would've had a triple double if Kwame didn't blow a hard layup and an easy layup.

3. illmatic

illmatic JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">TheBlackMamba Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Kobe would've had a triple double if Kwame didn't blow a hard layup and an easy layup.</div>

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Oh well, that block on Yao was siiiiiick

4. bbwtrench

bbwtrench BBW Member

That 8th block was a goaltend. I saw it hit the backboard before it was swatted. Nice block though. Mutumbo had a couple nice blocks as well.

Kobe still has it in him. That one dunk in the 2nd OT in front of Yao was just Fiya.

5. illmatic

illmatic JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Trench Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">That 8th block was a goaltend. I saw it hit the backboard before it was swatted. Nice block though. Mutumbo had a couple nice blocks as well.

Kobe still has it in him. That one dunk in the 2nd OT in front of Yao was just Fiya.</div>

no no, I meant the block Kwame did on Yao.

6. NTC

NTC Active Member

Kobe only has thirteen 50+ point games? I would've thought he'd have at least over 20. Nice effort though by the lakers, I thought it was all over when they were down with like 3 minutes left.

7. pablo eterovic

pablo eterovic Laker fan from Chile

Why Radmanovic play less minutes than Cook? Was he injured?

8. Bahir

Bahir User power factor: ∞

<div class="quote_poster">NTC187 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Kobe only has thirteen 50+ point games? I would've thought he'd have at least over 20. .</div>

Hehe, that's what I thought too. It felt like had a bunch of 50 point games last season.

9. Laker_fan

Laker_fan JBB JustBBall Member

If Lamar is out for a long time, expect Kobe to be in the running for the 06/07 scoring title.

10. Really Lost One

Really Lost One Suspended

This was a real exciting game to watch. Seeing our team rallying back from a 21 point deficit to get the win in 2OT was a fairy tale ending. I feel pretty bad for the Rockets though. Ah well

11. Midnight Green

Midnight Green NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<div class="quote_poster">TheBlackMamba Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Kobe would've had a triple double if Kwame didn't blow a hard layup and an easy layup.</div>

He still would have needed two more rebounds...

12. Sex Panther

Sex Panther works every time.

Ask.
    kobe had 10 rebounds...

13. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">pablitocesar Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Why Radmanovic play less minutes than Cook? Was he injured?</div>

Because Radman played like a jackass.

The game last night was insane, it a mirror image of the first game against the Rockets, except we finished the comeback.

I watched the second half of the game at a sports bar with some friends of mine , who moved out here from Houston. They were talking mad ish on the ride to the bar and rubbing it in my face with the Rockets blowing us out.

We get to the bar, and the 3rd quarter has started already, Lakers have closed the gap 54 to 64. We get a couple of drinks and I check the score and I say to them, Rockets are going to blow it, Kobe has that look in his eyes.

Sure enough Lakers down by 6 NOW!

We order a double shot and the alcohol starts kicking in. Lakers get back down by 7 or 9 points and my friends start talking ish again. "You have no answer for Yao! blah blah blah"

Lakers start going on another run and I yell out after Cook busts a 3 point shot! WOooooooooo!

The entire bar started getting into the game and I made it known I was with some boys from Houston.

The game goes into OT, and my friends start getting taunted by the rest of the people in the bar.

Someone screamed out "LA has heart fools, go back to Texas." LOL

OT starts up and every possession is an emotional roller coaster ride. You could just sense Kobe had more energy than anyone else on the court, and he took the game over.

The shimmy on Yao and the dunk got the bar WILD! The bartenders were getting hyped and gave us a free round of drinks.

Smush pops a 3 pointer to give the Lakers a 5 point lead and pretty much put the game out of reach at that point.

Both games against the Rockets have been amazing this year. I can't wait for the next one! We've owned them 5 in a row and the Lakers took care of the Texas teams 3-1 in their first round of the Texas Triangle.

The Lakers are 10-3 when Kobe goes for 50+ and 8-0 at Staples when he drops 50.

14. Kobethelegend

Kobethelegend JBB JustBBall Member

Sounds like you had a good time last night Shape. I'm from Houston and I was at the game the other night when the Lakers were in town. I was one of about 10 people in Lakers gear. Before the game all of the fans were giving me hell but I told them that everyone of them had better be waiting for me after the game. After the game, they all just walked by me like i wasn't even their. The arena was just silent. I wasn't goin to have it though. I made sure to voice the way I felt. Me and a few Rockets fans got into it but it was a blast.

15. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Both games against the Rockets have been amazing this year. I can't wait for the next one! We've owned them 5 in a row and the Lakers took care of the Texas teams 3-1 in their first round of the Texas Triangle.</div>

You weren't playing the Rockets. You were playing the Rockets minus Tracy McGrady. And you still just barely won on your homecourt. We're now 0-3 without him this year, and we were like 0-452 without him last year.

Man, whenever the Rockets lose to the Lakers it just really burns me up. I don't know why, because there isn't a playoff rivalry between our teams in recent years. But I can't stand losing to you. [​IMG]

I think these two teams (along with Utah) are going to be battling for 4th best record in the West. The top three in my mind are San Antonio, Dallas, and Phoenix (in no particular order). The next echelon will be Utah, LA Lakers, and Houston. The NBA wants to make a big deal about division races, but actually that's the "division" that really matters.

16. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">durvasa Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">You weren't playing the Rockets. You were playing the Rockets minus Tracy McGrady. And you still just barely won on your homecourt. We're now 0-3 without him this year, and we were like 0-452 without him last year.

Man, whenever the Rockets lose to the Lakers it just really burns me up. I don't know why, because there isn't a playoff rivalry between our teams in recent years. But I can't stand losing to you. [​IMG]

I think these two teams (along with Utah) are going to be battling for 4th best record in the West. The top three in my mind are San Antonio, Dallas, and Phoenix (in no particular order). The next echelon will be Utah, LA Lakers, and Houston. The NBA wants to make a big deal about division races, but actually that's the "division" that really matters.</div>

If you want to throw out injuries, the Lakers were without Odom and Mihm. I know TMac is an important piece to the Rockets, but Odom is just as valuable to the Lakers success. When the Lakers don't have Odom, it usually means Kobe has to go bananas in order for this team to win.

Chris Mihm would have made a huge difference in this game last night, because it would be another body the team could use to wear Yao down. Mihm was our 2nd most consistent player last season.

At the end of the day all that matters is the Lakers won, I don't care what the circumstances were.

17. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">KobeTheLegend Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Sounds like you had a good time last night Shape. I'm from Houston and I was at the game the other night when the Lakers were in town. I was one of about 10 people in Lakers gear. Before the game all of the fans were giving me hell but I told them that everyone of them had better be waiting for me after the game. After the game, they all just walked by me like i wasn't even their. The arena was just silent. I wasn't goin to have it though. I made sure to voice the way I felt. Me and a few Rockets fans got into it but it was a blast.</div>

A game like last night is why I'm addicted to sports. Holding onto hope when your team is down by an insane amount of points and fans from the otherside are rubbing it in and then to have your team fight back and win the game.

Those IN YOUR FACE moments are the best.

So how nervous did you feel when the Rockets went on that 26-1 run in the 4th quarter. You must have taken a lot of heat.

On the radio Mycal Thompson kept saying "No need to panic yet" after Rockets got within 15. "No need to panic yet" after the Rockets got within 10 points. "Ok time to panic the lead is only 7 points now." LMFAO.

18. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">If you want to throw out injuries, the Lakers were without Odom and Mihm. I know TMac is an important piece to the Rockets, but Odom is just as valuable to the Lakers success. When the Lakers don't have Odom, it usually means Kobe has to go bananas in order for this team to win. </div>

I just don't agree with that second sentence. McGrady may not be putting up superstar like numbers this year, but he's still a linchpin for our offense.

Our turnovers go from 15 per 48 minutes to 19 per 48 minutes when T-Mac is off the court. And our eFG% reduces from 51.1% to 46.9%. Perhaps that's a weakness in the type of offense we run, but we just depend on McGrady a ton to get ourselves good shots.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">At the end of the day all that matters is the Lakers won, I don't care what the circumstances were.</div>

Unfortunately, you're right. Hopefully we'll get to see these two teams play at full strength at some point in the season.

19. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    <div class="quote_poster">durvasa Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I just don't agree with that second sentence. McGrady may not be putting up superstar like numbers this year, but he's still a linchpin for our offense.

Our turnovers go from 15 per 48 minutes to 19 per 48 minutes when T-Mac is off the court. And our eFG% reduces from 51.1% to 46.9%. Perhaps that's a weakness in the type of offense we run, but we just depend on McGrady a ton to get ourselves good shots.</div>

McGrady sure has played like crap this year though. His PER is barely 20 I believe. He's been horribly inefficient from three point land (28.7%, 4.7 3-point attempts a game), the charity stripe (67.6 FT %), and regular 2 point shots(41.9 FG %). The worst part is that he's doing this on only 17 shots a game. He's cooled off ever since he's been in Houston, I'd be worried about him for sure if I was a Rockets fan.

Kobe is tied for fourth now (with Rick Barry) in career 50 point games.

20. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

That was one hell of a game. I didn't catch the first half, I started watching from half time.

All I can say is, despite Yao having a big night, Kwame had some really nice defensive efforts in the second half.

Speaking of our centers, Bynum has a lot to learn. He travels a lot, he's slow in releasing the ball, and Yao burned him constently last night.