Anyone see the GM commercial with the laid off Robotic Arm?

Discussion in 'Warriors Lounge' started by Custodianrules2, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9z-dnpMNKI

I may be in the minority here, but this is one of the most messed up superbowl commercials ever!

It starts off cute, but then becomes an allegory for the very real problems of modern day American society and elsewhere. And I take that very seriously considering I know a friend whose relative chose death over life because of extremely hard times and the feeling of powerlessness, shame, failure, and depression. It's tough out there in an ultra competitive society and there's more losers than there are winners because of the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer, and every individual's need to feel appreciated, fulfilling one's role as a provider or to be successful on some level. I may come off as some angry, bleeding heart kind of guy, but dammit I'm usually not. But this one hits home.

It sends a warped message of car quality through very depressing events. And you know these guys who approve this kind of message are making tons of money and for the company owners. It doesn't seem very fair to be taking it out on the little guy who could be improved or in the case of the robot be fixed. It says that companies can laugh about a robot who parallels the very thing that any average member of society can go through when they get laid off, experience hard times beyond any precedent in their lives, and eventually become so despondent that killing one's self becomes something that they want to do to end the torture of depression.

Some people think it's cute because it's only a "robot". Nevermind the fact that the auto industry is laying people off that desperately need those jobs and that those people can be helped training-wise, incentive wise or mental health wise much like a "robot" can be repaired, upgraded, or moved to another job. The commercial showed me that the guys at the very top of GM who approved that commercial show no human compassion, sympathy, empathy, or any awareness of what is going on in society. They are just capitalizing and totally detached from the way things really are with every day people and the little guy that works for them or used to work for them and have a family to support.

Very sad considering auto worker layoffs. I'll bet the rich guys at the top are having a laugh over this and its just disgusting to me.

Maybe I shouldn't take this seriously, but c'mon it hits a little close to home and it's the family or friends that the victim is survived by that get hit the worst. I wouldn't be surprised if people go after this commercial.

In under a minute I feel disgust for GM and their tactics.

But then again GM sucks, so maybe it's a blessing in disguise for some who may go on to do better things in their lives. I hope Toyota kicks their ass, frankly, and they hire the guys that GM doesn't give a crap about.

Anyway, there's my rant.