Deron Williams

Discussion in 'Out of Bounds' started by Stockton, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Stockton

Stockton JBB

It's no secret that a lot of Utah's success this season can be attributed to the improvement of Deron Williams in his second season. Whenever they're without him, Utah struggle. He's currently averaging 9.3 APG, good enough for second in the league behind Steve Nash. He had 21 assists in a game earlier this season. He's also scoring, putting up 17.3 PPG.

My question is, where do you rank him amongst the top point guards in the league?

2. jbbhoops4life

jbbhoops4life JBB future coach

i'd have to look more into it, but off the top of my head i'd say hes definitely in the top 5.

3. P.A.P.

P.A.P. JBB Fresh Start

Depends on how you categorize PG's. Arenas plays and is listed as a PG, but Deron is much better at distrubiting the ball, and controlling his team. If we are going by true PG's you have to put him in the top 5 with Nash, Kidd, Paul and Billups as well.

Personally, he's one of my favorite players. I didn't follow him much in college until his final year, when I jumped on the Illinois bandwagon with him, Dee Brown and Head leading the team. Plus, he's surpassed my expectations this year after I drafted him late in my fantasy leagues [​IMG]

4. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

I'd probably put Nash, Kidd, Billups, Paul, Iverson, and Arenas ahead of him. But that's more from a numbers-standpoint, since I haven't watched some of those players this season that much. I'll say 7th, but maybe that's being unfair to Deron.

5. dallasdude

dallasdude JBB JustBBall Member

I'd put him #8.
    Nash, Arenas, Iverson, Billups, Kidd, Parker, Baron Davis(when healthy), D-Will. If he rebounds a bit better, he could be the next Jason Kidd.

6. Schaddy

Schaddy Tangerine

I'd rank him about 7 or 8 as well, but keep in mind that he's only in his 2nd season. He could easily improve to the top five with a strong finish to this year and playoff performance. He also could struggle for a stretch. He's beocming one of my favorite players in the entire league, but I think we should see a bit more of him before I move him closer to the top five.

7. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

I think Deron Williams is on the same level as Nash, actually. His natural feel for the game is just amazing for someone this young. Most players don't improve overnight like he has.

8. thedude9990

thedude9990 JBB JustBBall Member

i rank him 4th cause i feel the only true point guards above him are kidd nash and billups (somewhat) because arenas iverson etc are shooting guards in point guards bodies. i think paul will move ahead of him but he was hurt for quite some tmie

9. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

Billups isn't a "true" point guard. He has good vision and isn't selfish, but he's a shoot first point guard.

10. tycoon21

tycoon21 JBB JustBBall Member

deron has really stepped it up this year.
    i'd say he is 5th
    nash, kidd, paul,arenas,deron

11. NTC

NTC Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">MrJ Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Billups isn't a "true" point guard. He has good vision and isn't selfish, but he's a shoot first point guard.</div>

7.5apg would beg to differ [​IMG]

Gilbert Arenas, Mike James, those are "Shoot First" Point Guards.

12. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Right now I'd say hes behind Nash, Kidd, Paul, and on the same level as Billups and Baron. I put Arenas, A.I., an Parker in a different category because they're not pure PGs.

13. thedude9990

thedude9990 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">MrJ Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Billups isn't a "true" point guard. He has good vision and isn't selfish, but he's a shoot first point guard.</div>

ehh i see your point thats why i put the not sure in ()

14. NTC

NTC Active Member

You have to remember though, outside of Richard Hamilton, we dont have many true offensive options, so the bulk of the offense not only relies on Chauncey to get the other guys looks, but to create them for himself also.

Chauncey Billups (#82) actually ranks below Steve Nash (#55) & Jason Kidd (#52) in Field Goals Attempted. He also logs more minutes than the 2, at an average of 37.2 Minutes Per Game.

15. Marbire

Marbire JBB JustBBall Member

If you don't think he's in the top 5 point guards currently in the league, then you don't know what the hell you are talking about. Personally, and currently, I put him 3rd behind Nash and Kidd. Billups is close. So is Paul and Baron, but their teams kind of suck.

16. P.A.P.

P.A.P. JBB Fresh Start

<div class="quote_poster">Marbire Wrote</div><div class="quote_post"> So is Paul and Baron, but their teams kind of suck.</div>

Hornets don't really suck. They've had major injury problems, and Paul (who was injury for a while) has been able to carry that team along with Tyson Chandler.

17. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

Pure PG's: Kidd, Nash, Deron, Paul

18. Bobcats

Bobcats JBB JustBBall Member

This season:

1. Steve Nash
    2. Jason Kidd
    3. Deron Williams
    4. Chris Paul
    5. Chauncey Billups

19. durvasa