Ainge Defends Himself

Discussion in 'Boston Celtics' started by 44Thrilla, Feb 27, 2007.

1. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Much has been made of a recent Danny Ainge comment, in which he said he didn?t expect the Celtics [team stats] to be so young this season. The director of basketball operations still is trying to figure out why he took heat, in that all he meant was he had hoped to make a deal for a veteran last summer.
    ?Look, I know that this is my fault,? Ainge said. ?I understand that. We were accumulating assets and hoping to turn some of those assets into a more experienced player who could really help us. We?re still trying to do that. I think we have some really good, young talent, but we have too many of those kind of players. I acknowledge that, and I?m trying to rectify that, but at the same time I?m not going to trade Gerald Green and Rajon Rondo [stats] for some 30-year-old guy just because he?s a veteran. It has to make sense for us in the long run.?
    Ainge also noted the draft day deal for Sebastian Telfair [stats] was done largely for financial reasons so the Celts would have money to re-sign their key young people.
    ?But we liked Sebastian, too,? Ainge said. ?We still like Sebastian. If we had known we could get Rajon Rondo (in a trade with Phoenix for the 21st pick), we may not have done the trade for Sebastian, but I think having two good, young point guards is an asset. And we still needed the flexibility down the road to keep our up-and-coming players. That would have been a real problem for us if we hadn?t done that trade.? </div>

http://celtics.bostonherald.com/celtics/vi...220&format=text