OHH...so NOW they wanna consider SUSPENDING Kobe after ESPN game...

Discussion in 'Los Angeles Lakers' started by illmatic, Mar 12, 2007.

1. illmatic

illmatic JBB JustBBall Member

Source

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">An elbow thrown at the Sixers' Kyle Korver by the Lakers' Kobe Bryant in the final moments of the first half of Friday night's game is "being looked at" by league officials, an NBA source indicated.

Bryant was coming off a one-game suspension for a blow to the face of Minnesota guard Marko Jaric and had served an earlier one-game suspension for a similar incident with San Antonio guard Manu Ginobli.

In an Associated Press report from Indianapolis Saturday night, Korver said, "I didn't think it was that big a deal. I thought it was an offensive foul. After I saw it on replay, it looked a lot worse than I thought it was during the game. It all happens fast. It's no big deal. It's just part of the game."</div>

Yo, I really hate the NBA with a passion now. When he was suspended against Minnesota, it happened the next game. However, this time, they don't consider suspending him cause they don't want to hurt their national ratings on an ESPN game.

Now instead of not having Kobe for a game we wouldn't have won, we're not going to have Kobe for a game we COULD/SHOULD have won with Kobe.

I'm so mad..... [​IMG]

2. Bobcats

Bobcats JBB JustBBall Member

Even though he does deserve to get suspended IMO, that's just BS. They can't let him play against Dallas, and suspend him for something he did on friday against Philly.

3. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

Stu Jackson and the rest of the league officials are the biggest jokes in sports history. How lame can they get? They're worried about what suspending Kobe would do to their national ratings, so they wait a damn game to even look into it. These idiots need to stop running the league, it's a god damn joke.

Why didn't they suspend Kobe last year when he nailed Dirk in the face?

4. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

I expected this to happen, suspending Kobe against the Nuggets will actually have an effect on the outcome of the game. The Lakers had no chance against the Mavericks with or without Kobe on Sunday, however a nationally televised game demands for Kobe to be on TV.

It's time for Jerry Buss to publicly criticize the direction the NBA is taking with the direction of the NBA. The double standards are sickening, the officiating is at an all time worse, and the product continues to decline.

At least Lamar Odom and possibly Luke Walton will return for this game.

5. lil nba

lil nba JBB JustBBall Member

Yall guys better hope Kobe plays against my NUGGETS or yall are gonna get toasted badly... and plus were right beind you guys for that sixth spot... so go ahead and just move over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol llol

6. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">lil nba Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Yall guys better hope Kobe plays against my NUGGETS or yall are gonna get toasted badly... and plus were right beind you guys for that sixth spot... so go ahead and just move over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol llol</div>

We'll see, the Nuggets aren't exactly winning much themselves. The Lakers will also have Luke and Odom available for this game. This is a huge game for both teams.

7. Skiptomylue11

Skiptomylue11 JBB JustBBall Member

Oh this game is important for both the Lakers and Nuggets.

Nuggets are like 2-3 games behind the Lakers?

8. jbbEternal

jbbEternal JBB JustBBall Member

I knew the NBA was gonna do this... Stu Jackson needs to be fired if he gets suspended again, even though I felt this was the worst of the three elbows.

Like you guys said they just didn't want to hurt their precious ratings on National TV. I would've preferred Kobe get suspended right away (against Mavs) as that game was very unlikely we were gonna win anyways. The two games he's missed so far, both those games were very winnable.

9. bbwSwish

bbwSwish Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.

I love how every "victim" of Kobe's elbow has said it wasn't a big deal. This is a joke.

10. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I expected this to happen, suspending Kobe against the Nuggets will actually have an effect on the outcome of the game. The Lakers had no chance against the Mavericks with or without Kobe on Sunday, however a nationally televised game demands for Kobe to be on TV. </div>

So you think the league did this, in part, because they want the Lakers to lose? That wouldn't make any sense.

11. Yournewchef

Yournewchef Whippin up a cake.

Why in the hell would they wait 2-3 days to consider this. The other suspensions were announced the same day or the next day. There was no delay, this is unjust.

12. Marbire

Marbire JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Swish Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I love how every "victim" of Kobe's elbow has said it wasn't a big deal. This is a joke.</div>

I love how Kobe is the only player in the league hitting people in the face with his eblows..........3 times........ in a little over a month?

Regardless, if both prior suspensions were announced within 1 day, it should've been the same with this one.

I also like how you people say Stu Jackson should get fired if he suspends Kobe again. It's really simple: if Kobe stops elbowing people in the face, he won't get suspended. Other players aren't seeming to have any problems. It's not Jackson's fault.

13. jbbEternal

jbbEternal JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Marbire Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I love how Kobe is the only player in the league hitting people in the face with his eblows..........3 times........ in a little over a month?

Regardless, if both prior suspensions were announced within 1 day, it should've been the same with this one.</div>

He isn't the only one... just the only one getting suspensions for it. Brian Cook did the same thing Kobe did with his first two suspensions (with his arms flailing after a shot hitting someone on the face) and didn't get a suspension for it.

Other players aren't having problems with the elbows... because their not getting suspended for it...

14. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">durvasa Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">So you think the league did this, in part, because they want the Lakers to lose? That wouldn't make any sense.</div>

The league no, Stu Jackson yes. I'm convinced he has it out for the Lakers franchise. I'm not sure why, I'll have to research it, but he's held them to a double standard.

Anyone remember last season when Shaq cracked Andrew Bynum with an elbow after Bynum dunked on him and gave Shaq a shove?

Anyone remember Shaq getting suspended for the incident? I sure don't.

15. Marbire

<div class="quote_poster">Eternal Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">He isn't the only one... just the only one getting suspensions for it. Brian Cook did the same thing Kobe did with his first two suspensions (with his arms flailing after a shot hitting someone on the face) and didn't get a suspension for it.

Other players aren't having problems with the elbows... because their not getting suspended for it...</div>

The only video anyone has showed is the Brian Cook one.... where he hits someone in the eye with his HAND, and knocks out his contact. Kobe hit 3 players in the face with his ELBOW. Jaric had a bloody nose, and Manu had a black eye for a week. Slightly different.

And even if you think Kobes 1st two elbows were unintentional, it's obvious that the 3rd one was intentional. And did Brian cook do it 3 times in a little over a month? No...

I just looked up that Shaq/Bynum thing though. Man that was a NASTY dunk by Shaq. But he definitely took a cheap shot and elbowed Bynum on purpose even though Bynum pushed him first. And it was more of a forearm push. Probably should have been a suspension. But I would like to believe that if that happened THIS SEASON, then there would have been.

Invalid Video Link

16. Shapecity

Ironically Shaq had the best quote regarding Stu Jackson when Shaq was a Laker...

"Stu Jackson is running the NBA rules committee the same way he ran the Knicks and the Grizzlies. Inconsistently," O'Neal wrote. "The fact of the matter is I said twice as many bad words and got fined 11 times more. Thank you, Stu."

17. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant is not and was not at risk for another suspension after elbowing Philadelphia's Kyle Korver.

League sources told ESPN.com that the incident was reviewed strictly to determine whether Bryant would be retroactively assessed a flagrant foul after his left elbow connected with Korver in L.A.'s 108-92 road defeat Friday night.

That review, sources said, was completed Monday and reclassified the hit as a Flagrant 1 foul, Bryant's first flagrant foul of the season.

In his first game back from a one-game suspension after landing an elbow to the face of Minnesota's Marko Jaric, Bryant extended his elbow as he tried to dribble away from Korver on the perimeter. No foul was called on the play.

The league does reserve the right to reclassify fouls or non-calls as flagrant fouls following a video review. But if this incident had been subject to a possible suspension,

NBA vice president of basketball operations Stu Jackson would have rendered a ruling before the Lakers' next game. Bryant was cleared to play in their 108-72 home loss to Dallas on Sunday night.

Yet he remains under close scrutiny, in the media and from the league office, after receiving a pair of one-game suspensions in 2007 for stray elbows.

In both of those cases -- first with San Antonio's Manu Ginobili, then with Jaric -- Bryant made contact by flailing his arms after a shot attempt. No foul was called by game officials on the Ginobili play; Bryant was whistled for an offensive foul after catching Jaric.

"As players, we know during a game when someone is trying to hurt you or be mean, and I never thought that was what was happening," Jaric told ESPN.com last week. "So I'm really surprised by [the suspension]. I haven't seen the replay, but if you ask me what I thought about the play when it happened, I don't think he did it intentionally, and I don't think players should be suspended for things that happen unintentionally. I think he was trying to draw a foul, and he swung his hand out to make </div>

Kobe won't be suspended

"Since I've been here, I've not seen this type of conduct exhibited by a player -- driving his arm backwards and making contact above the shoulder -- I have not seen that."

LMFAO at Stu Jackson^^

18. Marbire

So the one elbow that is quite obvious that it was intentional..... and he doesn't get suspended....... yet he does on the other two........ ok wtf?

And shape what you are you laughing at? I've hardly seen that movement either... it's not a natural basketball movement. Although his 3rd elbow is something you see more often in basketball when players are trying to clear space while driving or hit away defenders hands...... so maybe that's why he got suspended the 1st two elbows but not this one. Kinda weird though.

19. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">The league no, Stu Jackson yes. I'm convinced he has it out for the Lakers franchise. I'm not sure why, I'll have to research it, but he's held them to a double standard.

Anyone remember last season when Shaq cracked Andrew Bynum with an elbow after Bynum dunked on him and gave Shaq a shove?

Anyone remember Shaq getting suspended for the incident? I sure don't.</div>

You could argue Shaq should have been suspended. Maybe if that happened this season he would be. At the same time, his hit wasn't a clean strike at another player's face. That type of contact is dealt with differently, I think.

20. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Marbire Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">So the one elbow that is quite obvious that it was intentional..... and he doesn't get suspended....... yet he does on the other two........ ok wtf?

And shape what you are you laughing at? I've hardly seen that movement either... it's not a natural basketball movement. Although his 3rd elbow is something you see more often in basketball when players are trying to clear space while driving or hit away defenders hands...... so maybe that's why he got suspended the 1st two elbows but not this one. Kinda weird though.</div>

I'm laughing because Stu-pid Jackson said he's never seen that type of movement before, yet fans like you and myself have. Obviously Stu-pid Jackson doesn't watch enough basketball.

Anyways here's a great parity piece from Socks at LG:

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Breaking News:

Going forward, Stu Jackson will review tapes of Kobe Bryant going to the bathroom. If Kobe pees on the seat or outside the urinal, it will deemed an un-natural act and Kobe will be subject to suspension.

Said Jackson: "We're not going to tolerate this kind of activity. I don't know if Kobe has been completely accurate when peeing or not, but he can be sure the league will be watching. If he does this on more than one occassion we will start adding it up and it could lead to more than 1 game suspensions.". How stringent will the league and Jackson be? "We'll go with the one drop rule," says Jackson. "More than one drop landing outside of the designated pee zone is not acceptable.".

When asked about this monitoring, other players around the league were astounded. Said Manu Ginobili, "Kobe and I were at side-by-side urinals once and I think some of it escaped him and a drop may have landed on my foot. But really, those are the risks of going to the bathroom. I don't deem it suspension worthy.". Marko Jaric chimed in, "Those types of things happen all the time, and they look a lot worse on slow motion than in real life. No way Kobe should be suspended for this kind of activity. It happens to the best of us.".

Says ESPN analyst Marc Stein, "Kobe needs to learn his lesson. Kobe is not god. He's got to control his aim like everyone else. We all know Kobe has excellent body control. What, that disappears when someone is at the urinal next to him? There's no way even a drop should ever land outside the urinal or on a toilet seat. I think he should get a 15 game suspension if the league sees this kind of activity. We don't want dirty players or dirty bathrooms.".</div>