Jemele Hill Responds to Emails Regarding Her Column

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by Karma, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Karma

Karma The Will Must Be Stronger Than The Skill

To anyone at JBB who reads Page 2, Jemele Hill, one of the writers there, recently wrote a peice entitled "Putting Kobe in perspective" and generated a lot of heat for it because she claimed that Kobe is a better player than Michael Jordan. In her words, she stated that although Kobe can't beat him in terms of overall success, economic impact, MVP awards, or titles, he is, in the end, the better player overall. This obviously drew a lot of criticism because, god forbid, anyone should challenge game or character of the flawless MJ.

Anyway, I was checking out Page 2 today and she has responded in general to the 2000 or so emails she got in regards to the column and I thought she handled it well. Although obviously MJ is the "better" player in terms of success, I side with her in that I think thier skill levels are either the same, or Kobe edges MJ. It doesn't mean Kobe will ever match what MJ did in terms of image or appreciation, but to overlook the beauty of Kobe's game is something alot of people tend to do.

Anyway, I just want to post one part of the article that I thought was particularly interesting. This, of course, was her closing as well, and it deserves to be read by people who hate or love Kobe.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">
    And finally, my favorite e-mail, from Amsterdam:

"Hello, I'm Sharone Wright, a former top-six pick in the NBA. I was around Kobe my first and second year with the 76ers (Bryant worked out with the 76ers when he was in high school). Kobe would be the first to be at practice and he would be the last to leave. You want to talk about a will to win? This kid was amazing. He has a mad streak only the good ones have. When he wants to stop you, he will. When he wants 50, he'll give you 50. Simple as that. I played a lot of games against Jordan, and truthfully Michael was the greatest I've ever seen, but Kobe has everything and even more to his game. The comparisons are so equal. So many critics let their displeasure for Kobe in his personal life blind them when it comes to his game and his place as one of the top-three players of all time. Kobe should be going on his fourth MVP, but they are so blinded by what their perception of Kobe is. Say what you want, but poll 20 NBA players right now, the ones that don't hold a grudge against Kobe, and they will tell you that it isn't even close to him and another player in the league. That's real talk for you."
    </div>

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...30&sportCat=nba

For the record, I am a Kobe fan, but I am not a Kobe jockrider. In fact, I'm actually pushing for Nash to win the MVP this year (although I'm pretty sure Dirk will get it, which I don't mind either), and although I am amazed that Kobe has single-handedly brought the Lakers into the playoffs again this year, he will never be able to fully prove how much talent he posesses unless the talent that surrounds him makes his own shine even brighter (as in the case of MJ and every other champion). Case in point; Smush Parker just won't cut it. So until the team surrounding him improves, it's futile to discuss the MJ/Kobe issue because Kobe isn't a proven "winner" yet (without Shaq).

2. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

She's not that bad a writer. Some of her article's have been worthwhile, but I thought this one was terrible. And its not just because of the subject. I have no problems with someone trying that argument if they do it properly (even if its been covered so many times). The problem I had was that her article was poorly written. She stated everything in short, concise sentences and didn't back up any of her statements. What's more, her arguments were so subjective in the first place (and sometimes just ridiculous) that her conclusion was unconvincing.

3. Karma

Karma The Will Must Be Stronger Than The Skill

<div class="quote_poster">Chutney Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">She's not that bad a writer. Some of her article's have been worthwhile, but I thought this one was terrible. And its not just because of the subject. I have no problems with someone trying that argument if they do it properly (even if its been covered so many times). The problem I had was that her article was poorly written. She stated everything in short, concise sentences and didn't back up any of her statements. What's more, her arguments were so subjective in the first place (and sometimes just ridiculous) that her conclusion was unconvincing.</div>

Are you referring to her original column or her follow up? Her original column was poorly written I must admit (although she got her points across), but she's actually not a bad writer. Plus, she's atleast better than Scoop Jackson anyway (who, by the way, sounds like a little kid...I just heard him talk recently and I didn't expect him to sound as annoying as Jermaine Dupri, but he does).

4. igotask8board

igotask8board Active Member

Oh Jemele is a female? Sorry I clicked on this thread.

5. yudalicious

yudalicious JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Karma Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Are you referring to her original column or her follow up? Her original column was poorly written I must admit (although she got her points across), but she's actually not a bad writer. Plus, she's atleast better than Scoop Jackson anyway (who, by the way, sounds like a little kid...I just heard him talk recently and I didn't expect him to sound as annoying as Jermaine Dupri, but he does).</div>

I think Hill isn't a bad writer, nothing spectacular so far, but I've enjoyed her work overall... Scoop Jackson, imo, just echoes stereotypical sentiments in everything he says, of the two, I much prefer Hill. I've also never really enjoyed Scoop on TV, but Hill, yes.