Joey Crawford suspened indefinetly

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by ChicagoSportsFan, Apr 17, 2007.

1. ChicagoSportsFan

ChicagoSportsFan JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

Just heard this now on NBA radio on sirius

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">NBA Referee Joey Crawford Suspended
    Posted Apr 17 2007 1:27PM
    Print E-mail RSS Feeds E-News Sign Up Share on Facebook
    NEW YORK, April 17, 2007 – NBA referee Joey Crawford has been indefinitely suspended for improper conduct toward Tim Duncan during the San Antonio Spurs at Dallas Mavericks game on April 15, it was announced today by NBA Commissioner David Stern. The conduct included Crawford's assessment of a second technical foul and ejection of Duncan following laughter by the player while he was seated on the bench, and inappropriate comments made to Duncan during the game.
    Crawford's suspension will cover at least the remainder of the 2006-07 season, including the NBA Playoffs and Finals.

"Joey Crawford's handling of this situation failed to meet the standards of professionalism and game management we expect of NBA referees," said Stern. "Especially in light of similar prior acts by this official, a significant suspension is warranted. Although Joey is consistently rated as one of our top referees, he must be held accountable for his actions on the floor, and we will have further discussions with him following the season to be sure he understands his responsibilities."

The incidents occurred with 1:04 remaining in the third period of the Mavericks 91-86 win over the Spurs on Sunday, April 8 at American Airlines Center. </div>

<a href="http://www.nba.com/news/crawford_070417.html" target="_blank">
    http://www.nba.com/news/crawford_070417.html</a>

2. TimmyDMVP

TimmyDMVP JBB JustBBall Member

There is a god, at least now we dont have to worry about him in the playoffs

3. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Crawford's suspension will cover at least the remainder of the 2006-07 season, including the NBA Playoffs and Finals.</div>
    Nice.

4. dallasdude

dallasdude JBB JustBBall Member

Well deserved!

5. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

You have to applaud David Stern's decision to suspend Crawford. It was clear Joey was in the wrong and crossed the line in issuing an unwarranted technical foul on Tim Duncan. I'm glad to see Stern finally stick up for his players who have been voicing their opinion all season long on the officials, only to be fined and the incident swept under.

I hope this sends a strong message to the rest of the ego-driven officials in the league.

6. tcaplayah

tcaplayah JBB JustBBall Member

7. GarnettKG21

GarnettKG21 JBB JustBBall Member

Stern said that when Crawford found out about this he said he no longer wants to referee in the NBA! Chris Sheridan just reported in on OTL.

8. jbbhoops4life

jbbhoops4life JBB future coach

i couldn't be happier.

9. Apollo

Apollo JBB Into The Fire

Wow. Kudos David Stern. Very good move to penalize Crawford this downright stupid act.

10. NJNetz

NJNetz BBW Banned

It's been a while since I have approved of anything that Stern has done. Good job though.

11. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

Nice, that'll teach him and other officials not to make BS calls like he did on Sunday.

12. The Dream

The Dream mama there goes that man!

yeah I heard about this on Dan Patrick.....all I have to say is "good"....it's about time someone put these lame ass refs who think that they "are" the game in their proper place....I remember when the Rockets one our second title in '95 and there was a ref who kicked Clyde Drexler out in a crucial playoff game against Phoenix and shortly after that the ref wasn't calling any more games in the playoffs (he might have gotten kicked out the league if I remember correctly)

13. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

I don't think he was suspended because he ejected Duncan, though. It was because he said, "You want to fight?"

<div class="quote_poster">THE DREAM Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">yeah I heard about this on Dan Patrick.....all I have to say is "good"....it's about time someone put these lame ass refs who think that they "are" the game in their proper place....I remember when the Rockets one our second title in '95 and there was a ref who kicked Clyde Drexler out in a crucial playoff game against Phoenix and shortly after that the ref wasn't calling any more games in the playoffs (he might have gotten kicked out the league if I remember correctly)</div>

That would be Jake O'Donnell:

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting wikipedia:</div><div class="quote_post">
    O'Donnell was very respected by the players for his no-nonsense, flamboyant style, though his final game of his officiating career was marred by a controversial ejection of the Houston Rockets' Clyde Drexler in a 1995 playoff game against the Phoenix Suns when Drexler picked up two technical fouls after arguing with O'Donnell. This occurred after O'Donnell refused to shake hands at the tipoff with Drexler. Rumors swirled that O'Donnell had a feud with Drexler, and league officials certainly thought something was amiss because they suspended O'Donnell for the rest of the 1995 playoffs and wouldn't allow him to work the 1995 NBA Finals, ending a string of 23 consecutive appearances. Both O'Donnell and the NBA have denied the impression that this incident led to O'Donnell being forced out of the league. At the time, O'Donnell claimed there was no feud between him and Drexler, but in a 1996 ESPN interview, O'Donnell said, "I wouldn't give Clyde Drexler much leeway because of the way he reacted with me all the time. I thought at times he would give cheap shots to people, and I just would not allow it."
    </div>

14. The Dream

The Dream mama there goes that man!

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I don't think he was suspended because he ejected Duncan, though. It was because he said, "You want to fight?"
    </div>

I don't know that could be part of the reason, but I heard Stern on Dan Patrick earlier and he said that there was another incident in which Crawford kicked a player out of the game and Stern didn't think he deserved it.....I think Stern had his eye on him already and the ejection of duncan along with remarks made this an easy decision for him.

thanks for the info....

15. ChicagoSportsFan

ChicagoSportsFan JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

<div class="quote_poster">THE DREAM Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I don't know that could be part of the reason, but I heard Stern on Dan Patrick earlier and he said that there was another incident in which Crawford kicked a player out of the game and Stern didn't think he deserved it.....I think Stern had his eye on him already and the ejection of duncan along with remarks made this an easy decision for him.

thanks for the info....</div>

That might be the Chicago Detroit game where he kicked tyrus thomas out for getting elbowed twice in the face and walking away from rip hamilton who was following Ty around trying to start a fight with him.

16. B.e.

B.e. The One Who Score Touchdowns and Spikes Mics

David Stern finally does something right.

17. Really Lost One

Really Lost One Suspended

<div class="quote_poster">A.F. Venom Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">David Stern finally does something right.</div>

Word

18. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Joey Crawford is also one of the officials who used to turn in his first class tickets for economy class tickets and pocket the difference. Good riddance. I hope Stern doesn't stop with him either, there's a crop of officials who need to be removed from the officiating ranks.

Steve Javie aka Steve Jobie certainly comes to mind.

19. Legacy

Legacy Beast

The referees should look up to Dick Bevveta. He is a good ref and makes the right calls 98 percent of the time. I'm just happy Stern did something right, for once.

20. Really Lost One

Really Lost One Suspended

They should suspend Violent Palmer as well. She is just horrible