Monta Ellis

Discussion in 'Out of Bounds' started by Basketballer05, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Basketballer05

Basketballer05 JBB JustBBall Member

I have watched this guy play alot lately, and I think he is great. So I want to know your opinions about him.

Is he going to be a great player in the NBA? Why?
    What other NBA player is he comparable too?
    What will he average in his prime?

2. igotask8board

igotask8board Active Member

Is he going to be a great player in the NBA?
    Already is.
    Why?
    Because he's so quick and athletic. He uses his speed/quickness to take it in, steal the ball (he's like 8th in the NBA I think), and he gets you some assists/rebounds. It's only his sophomore year in the NBA, so next year I think he will cut down his turnovers and shoot 49% from the field.

Dwyane Wade

What will he average in his prime?
    23pts, 7 ast, 6 reb, 2 stl, 1.8 to

3. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Basketballer05 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I have watched this guy play alot lately, and I think he is great. So I want to know your opinions about him.

Is he going to be a great player in the NBA? Why?
    What will he average in his prime?</div>

Monta Ellis will be a good player. Right now he has had few experiences being a leader of a team outside of AAU and high school ball as he never played in college, so he doesn't have that leadership of a Wade or Gordon has or had at this stage. This season and Don Nelson have been great for his development, he deserved to play a lot more last season but Mike Montgomery is kind of dumb, which is another story. I see Monta Ellis taking the hard Tony Parker like road to becoming a great player. A bit of a problem for Monta Ellis is that he doesn't have great 2/3 size and he's not a stellar point guard right now. Monta Ellis is playing great right now in his current rol,e but if you put him around in the NBA on different teams, he'll continue to be a good player but I wouldn't say he'd stand out that much amongst other good players. Once Monta Ellis becomes a stellar point guard, he will become a great player in the NBA. Right now I think his future is just a very good NBA player and potential reserve in the future in the All-Star game. If Monta Ellis becomes a a good point guard, he could easily become as good as Allen Iverson, Dwayne Wade, Tony Parker, and the rest of those guard types.

The strenghts of Monta Ellis are his defense and in particular his ability to get deflections. Generally the Warriors deflections on defense (a stat a Warriors assistant keeps during games) have gone up when Monta has entered the game. Monta's quickness and athletic ability is top notch up there with Iverson and anyone else. Monta has a surreal feel for the game for his experience level, which benefits from having many skills and fundamentals to be able to do some good things on the court. He's able to usually take it to the rim and put up floaters out of the reach of defenders near the hoop. He has a solid shot, but has not become as good of a shooter from the three point line as he should become in the future. He's pretty solid mid-range though. One thing Nelson has imphasized to Monta is that he can get 18 foot jumpers every play with his ability and make a lot more shots than shooting too many 3's like he could have been taking during the season. Also Monta is a solid rebounder.

The weaknesses of Monta Ellis are that he is not a PG and doesn't have a true NBA traditional position. Though he has a good feel for the game on the court, he has been a higher than desired turnover guy, mostly due to charges, which he can pick up quickly and in bunches. Another potential downside to Monta Ellis is that he is injury prone due to previous leg injuries and being very active and sometimes acrobatic and not having the greatest strength though he definitley isn't weak. Monta has also had a little trouble finishing around the hoop against some big guys like Elton Brand. He's not Kobe Bryant in terms of finishing near the hoop and he's not as good as Dwayne Wade or Allen Iverson in drawing fouls around there either.

I think in the near future (after a season or two) Monta can be an efficient Tony Parker type PG (though he has already shown abilities of being that type of player but just not consistantly) and maybe further down he can become as good as almost anyone like Allen Iverson, Tim Hardway, Baron Davis, Dwayne Wade, etc.

His average in his prime...that is a tough one. I'll say something like 25 points, 8 assists, 4 rebounds, 2+ steals could be his prime season. Right now he's just a good team player, so that's all you can ask from him now, well if you are a Warriors fan at least. Hopefully the Warriors can re-sign him unlike the Arenas situation.

4. Legacy

Legacy Beast

Monta Ellis is a future superstar. He is a great scorer and he could find the open man. He is an average defender, but he will soon become way better at it. His rebounding is average for a guard. He isn't the best three point shooter, but he could hit it when given some room. Many people compare him to an Allen Iverson or a Gilbert Arenas because of his shoot first mentality. He could be either a point or shooting guard. With Baron Davis as his current mentor, I think he will learn alot and become one of the best NBA players of the future. Yesterday, in the game vs Dallas, he didn't play too great so don't have an opinion of him just yet. It was his first playoff game and you could tell he was nervous. Sooner or later, he will become a superstar.

5. Detroit Madness

Detroit Madness JBB JustBBall Member

He should be in the running for most improved...

6. thedude9990

thedude9990 JBB JustBBall Member

i think he should win most improved, everyones tlaking abotu kevin martin but look at the team monta is playing on and hes still averging 16 points, he has davis jrich harrington and jackson (i know richardson was out a while but still)

7. Clear It Out

Clear It Out JBB JustBBall Member

Monta Ellis is definitely at the least #2 for MIP, but take into account that Kevin Martin's on a team with Artest and Bibby. And they played in Musselman's super sloooooooooooooow offense. The Warriors run an uptempo offense. It could go either way for me. Both Monta Ellis and Kevin Martin would be deserving. You can even throw Al Jefferson and Andris Biedrins in the mix. David Lee would've been in the Top 3 too if he didn't get hurt.

8. igotask8board

igotask8board Active Member

I didn't want to start a thread, so I will post this here.

This post is for the guys here at JBB.

Inspired by the movie Juwanna Man

Forgetting about male-female differences, if you kept your body/mind/strength...whatever, do you think you would make it in the WNBA? If so, how good do you think you would be as of now? How about in 4-5 years from now? If you're not good enough now, do you think you could make it there with practice?

Do you think at least half the males in America between the ages of 16-40 would be able to hang with WNBA players?

9. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">igotask8board Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I didn't want to start a thread, so I will post this here.

This post is for the guys here at JBB.

Inspired by the movie Juwanna Man

Forgetting about male-female differences, if you kept your body/mind/strength...whatever, do you think you would make it in the WNBA? If so, how good do you think you would be as of now? How about in 4-5 years from now? If you're not good enough now, do you think you could make it there with practice?

Do you think at least half the males in America between the ages of 16-40 would be able to hang with WNBA players?</div>

This is a strange side-step from talking about Monta. But I think women/female basketball is getting to be pretty strong. They are not the NBA yet, but I have seen some good girls basketball in the high school level at least, and I bet it's translating into better basketball in college and then in the NBA. Right now, I am not that much of an athlete anyway but I wouldn't be able to play in the WNBA. I doubt at least half of people age 16-40 could hang with the WNBA.

10. elevate

elevate JBB JustBBall Member

kevin martin is number 1 by far.....how you gonna compae his improvements with monta ellis' improvements....you must be out yo mind