Suspensions handed out

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by *Scotch, May 15, 2007.

1. *Scotch

*Scotch JBB JustBBall Member

Unbelievable...

Why do we even have the post season, let's just crown the Spurs every year.

Horry accomplishes exactly what he tried to, he didn't get Nash but instead took out Diaw and Amare, had he injured Nash then what?????

Duncan and Bowen stepped on the court on a posterizing dunk in the same game, no suspension for these two. Had one of our scrubs jumped on their player when this was happenning, completely instigating and totally unnecessary then Duncan and Bowen would have been suspended. Is this what the league wants to happen???

How is this fair---Why should we not constantly provoke every teams players to try and draw them off the court???

Stern thinks he is running a country, he is not a leader, he is not a legal expert, he and the rest of the nba management are invoking facist style rulings that have no system of regulation.

2. yodawgsup

yodawgsup JBB JustBBall Member

The suspensions are fair.

The rulebook says you can't step out onto the court in the case of an ALTERCATION. Duncan's incident was not yet an altercation (at least you can't prove it was), and he didn't go nearly as far as Stoudemire and Diaw.

Sorry.

3. unbeliever

unbeliever JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">yodawgsup Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">The suspensions are fair.

The rulebook says you can't step out onto the court in the case of an ALTERCATION. Duncan's incident was not yet an altercation (at least you can't prove it was), and he didn't go nearly as far as Stoudemire and Diaw.

Sorry.</div>

Duncan was 2-3+ steps out onto the court, so was Bowen when he brought Duncan back. Stoudemire and Diaw were only one step or so on the court and mostly on the sideline. Definitely an altercation that time, and arguably during the dunk. You had players out of play and getting in each others faces, even if only for a short time.

Congrats to the Spurs, the slush fund they use for bribes must be huge. Or it was until now anyway.

4. ChicagoSportsFan

ChicagoSportsFan JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

They had to stick by the rules man. but next year Im sure it will be corrected. exspect Duncan to have a field day. Sorry suns fans

5. unbeliever

unbeliever JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">michiganave17 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">They had to stick by the rules man. but next year Im sure it will be corrected. exspect Duncan to have a field day. Sorry suns fans</div>

That's the problem. They didn't stick to their own rules. Elson & Jones get into it after a bad tangle. Duncan & Bowen come on the court. No suspension. Horry blatantly fouls Nash when he sees his team is going to lose the game. Stoudemire and Diaw take a couple steps towards the resulting crowd. They get suspended.

How is that fair?

6. scorbutic

scorbutic JBB JustBBall Member

Both altercations were exactly the same, they weren't even altercations, nobody got punched, nobody got bit or kicked. This is an obvious decision by the NBA to hand the trophy to the Spurs, the least they could've done was suspend them for Game 6 to show even a little fairness, but I guess the NBA decided not to hide their bias anymore, it's hard to after ignoring Bowen's actions and suspending Amare and Diaw because they stood up 30 feet away from a crowd of people.

Duncan and Bowen need to be suspended if they want to follow the letter of the law, which they shouldn't do in these situations because they never got near the crowd (not fight).

This is why the NBA will never be on the same level as the NFL, the people in charge are incompetent! Nobody can agree this is a fair decision, I don't care if you're a Spurs fan, just flip the situation around and understand how unfair this is. If the Spurs win the Championship its tainted, simple as that, and Spurs fans shouldn't want that... like me you should want a fair game to determine the real winner, not some cheap out given to you by the NBA.

7. *Scotch

<div class="quote_poster">michiganave17 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">They had to stick by the rules man. but next year Im sure it will be corrected. exspect Duncan to have a field day. Sorry suns fans</div>

Where in the rule book does it say they have to "stick to the rules" The nba is allowed to asses each situation individaully, they can take pass situations into account but that does not mean you must rule by them. No society, let alone a league can exist without progressive changes, however certain people do not have the courage to make these changes, ie: Stern.

Were they consistent with Kobe this year?? No. He kicks his leg out and gets suspended, Bowen does it twice in this series once to Amare and Steve Nash's crotch. -- No consistency.

Giving them an out is bs. They didn't HAVE to do anything.

They should have suspended Duncan and Bowen by this ruling, for the simple fact that having them come onto the court could have provoked an altercation.

If the benches were pushed back three more feet from the court he never would have stepped onto it. The courtline is arbitrary, it is inately stupid to make regulations reagrding a line that isn't even consistent throughout arenas. The rule should be focused on how close the player is to the actual altercation. Had this fight broken out on the opposite end of the court, under the basket, then people might realize how stupid this rule is.

Simply put, the suns are being punished for Robert Horry's act of barbaric frustration. The league could have suspended Nash for charging Horry after the hit as well as Bell, this has happened before, why didn't they??? Did they asses the rules differently, if they bent that rule why not the other?

Does anyone have a video of the Spurs bench, I am sure that at least one of their players broke this forbidden plane. Don't sit their and argue rules are rules and they have to wait until the end of the year to change them. We played with two different balls this year, we did not have to wait until next season to make the change so rules can obviously bend during the year.

8. hollagr8

hollagr8 JBB JustBBall Member

I personally saw the game yesterday and that was ridiculous. Obviously Amare and Barbosa was concerned about the hit. If you ask me, Barbosa looked like he was shocked that Horry would so something like that and wanted to protect Nash. Honestly, San Antonio is a really dirty team and the NBA should address this from all angles. Let's see Nash suffers a broken nose, get kneed in the groin by Bowen, and get body checked by Horry, how can so many COINCIDENCES occur to the two-time MVP, and now Amare and Barbosa are suspended for a game, meanwhile that idiot Horry was the one who instigated it. Unacceptable, and in the end who got hurt more; Nash, both physically and mentally with the team because he's going to have to go through game 5 without them. Man, I hate the stupid rule. Can the league be more blind. It's not fair, I'm not even a Phoenix fan but that was ridiculous.

9. *Scotch

<div class="quote_poster">hollagr8 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I personally saw the game yesterday and that was ridiculous. Obviously Amare and Barbosa was concerned about the hit. If you ask me, Barbosa looked like he was shocked that Horry would so something like that and wanted to protect Nash. Honestly, San Antonio is a really dirty team and the NBA should address this from all angles. Let's see Nash suffers a broken nose, get kneed in the groin by Bowen, and get body checked by Horry, how can so many COINCIDENCES occur to the two-time MVP, and now Amare and Barbosa are suspended for a game, meanwhile that idiot Horry was the one who instigated it. Unacceptable, and in the end who got hurt more; Nash, both physically and mentally with the team because he's going to have to go through game 5 without them. Man, I hate the stupid rule. Can the league be more blind. It's not fair, I'm not even a Phoenix fan but that was ridiculous.</div>

^^Amare and Diaw not Barbosa, but agreed.

10. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">*Scotch Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Where in the rule book does it say they have to "stick to the rules" The nba is allowed to asses each situation individaully, they can take pass situations into account but that does not mean you must rule by them. No society, let alone a league can exist without progressive changes, however certain people do not have the courage to make these changes, ie: Stern. </div>

Unfortunately, there is your answer and this is the reason the NBA continues to lose it's fan base and credibility in the sports world. Every ruling has been arbitrary, and when asked how they came to their conclusion they generally blow it off or come up with some completely ridiculous spin.

I've been a fan for over 20 years of basketball, and it's really sad to watch the league continue to spiral downward.

11. tremaine

tremaine To Win, Be Like Fitz

writer, accountant & part time economist
    Does anyone notice how those arguing against the suspensions have many more arguments on their side than those arguing in favor? Those in favor of the suspensions have just one argument, that a rule is a rule, and there must be a dozen arguments against the suspensions. That ought to tell you quite alot right there.

All the best arguments have already been made here, but I want to add, being a Nuggets fan that, according to the top executives of the NBA, this incident was not supposed to happen following the massive 15 game suspension given to Carmelo Anthony and the massive 10 game suspension given to J.R. Smith in December. Those suspensions, according to David Stern and Stu Jackson, were supposed to deter any future extreme flagrant fouls, altercations, and suspensions, especially among veterans in the playoffs.

Well, our boy Mr. Stern was off on his prediction, wasn't he? Robert Horry didn't give a damn about the possibility of a 10 game suspension when he flagrantly fouled Nash. So much for Stern's theories.

And now that we know that fear of suspensions can not do much to stop player reactions to flagrant fouls against their teammates, the real question is whether this incident was planned in advance, either by Robert Horry alone, or maybe even by Robert Horry along with other Spurs players and/or Coaches. The Spur's objective for the flagrant on Nash may have been exactly what happened, to get as many Suns suspended as possible. There is plenty of motive, because the Spurs, once they knew the series was going to be tied 2-2, must have known that the Suns at full strength would be favored to win both of the remaining Phoenix games. Game 5 now changes from Suns favored to Spurs favored.

The flagrant foul rules need to be changed, as I have said before. Click on my name and click on "find all threads started by tremaine," and go back to December (page 6) and the thread called "Melo Was Right to Defend His Teammate" to see how the rules should be changed.

Aside from that, Scotch's idea that the rule should be applied according to whether the player who comes a little out on to the court actually gets close to the altercation is an obvious excellent improvement over the current stupid rule.

12. Gotrunks226

Gotrunks226 JBB JustBBall Member

Retarded suspensions. Well this goes to show you, that the NBA supports the dirty players. Yeah whoever said it, the Spurs are a dirty team.

13. sweetness

sweetness JBB JustBBall Member

man i feel bad for the suns. play on the court should decide who advances in this series not some BS suspensions. the fans are getting screwed more than anything.

14. Gotrunks226

Gotrunks226 JBB JustBBall Member

Lets hope the Suns can rally being this BS suspension and whoop the Spurs ass. Nash goes for 50 pts and 25 Assists.. COME ON!!..

15. ChicagoSportsFan

ChicagoSportsFan JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

At least your at home

16. scorbutic

scorbutic JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">michiganave17 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">At least your at home</div>
    That is what I think is the worst part, the NBA is essentially taking a home game away from Phoenix and giving it to the Spurs. Phoenix will most likely lose this game, they have a hard time beating the Spurs WITH Amare, if SA wins they get to go back home to close out the series.

What I really hate about this is: had Amare been in the game, he could've ran up to Horry, got in his face, yelled garbage, probably shoved him a few times and nothing would've happened. But God forbid you stand up and look to see if your star player is okay, you could get a headrush, become very dizzy, and fall into the crowd knocking a fat kid over starting a huge brawl. [​IMG]

This wasn't the 90s Knicks rushing into a huge fight, this wasn't Ron Artest running into the stands. It was worse, Amare stood up; he may have even had his jersey untucked, his shorts may have been a centimeter too long, or maybe he had ideas of not wearing a suit while injured on the bench... wait... he may have even been clapping (Baron Davis clapping, not Duncan; when Duncan clapped it was Crawford's fault, when Davis did it in the 1st round it was Dizzle's fault)!! As long as the NBA has their priorities in order [​IMG]

P.S.>> I just got a call from Stern, he says I can't go to the Suns game tomorrow, when I watched Horry check Nash I stood up and took a step towards my TV, it makes no difference that I'm 30 miles away, I didn't stay in the immediate couch area. So Amare, Diaw and I are gonna watch the game together, with seatbelts.

17. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

I think the reason they were suspended for stepping out on the court was because of the situation. Things were clearly heating up at this point and things could have very easily gotten out of control.

18. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Moo2K4 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I think the reason they were suspended for stepping out on the court was because of the situation. Things were clearly heating up at this point and things could have very easily gotten out of control.</div>

There wasn't much time left in the game, so I'm not sure I agree it would have gotten any worse. They ejected Horry and things calmed down after that.

I can understand suspending Amare, but I really feel bad for Diaw. Yeah he initially took two steps, but he then realized he shouldn't be on the court, turned around and went back to the bench. Amare had to be restrained by the assistant coaches, and then tried to b.s. in the post-game that he was trying to check into the game.

19. amador08

amador08 JBB JustBBall Member

Fair suspensions, but they should probably fix that rule. No special treatment should go to the Suns though.. many players and teams have gotten penalized in the past for that, it just seems Suns fans are the ones that whine about it a lil bit more.. [​IMG] I think Phx could take next game they are at home with something to prove.

20. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">amador08 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Fair suspensions, but they should probably fix that rule. No special treatment should go to the Suns though.. many players and teams have gotten penalized in the past for that, it just seems Suns fans are the ones that whine about it a lil bit more.. [​IMG] I think Phx could take next game they are at home with something to prove.</div>

But special treatment is being given to the Spurs. Duncan did the exact same thing in the 2nd quarter, yet no suspension. This is what is frustrating about the ruling. To be honest I don't care for either team, but I do respect their success and high level of play. As a fan of the NBA, I'm really pissed on how the league has conducted itself all season long. This is the second year in a row, I've watched a lot more college games than pro games.

The league completely tainted the best series left in the playoffs.