Kansas City?

Discussion in 'Oklahoma City Thunder' started by Sir Desmond, May 23, 2007.

1. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Sonics owner Clayton Bennett has visited Kansas City and met with civic leaders to discuss the possibility of moving the NBA franchise to Missouri, where a new arena awaits an anchor tenant.

According to a Kansas City Star story posted on the newspaper's Web site Monday, Bennett said the Sprint Center could be a future home for the Sonics.

"My take on Kansas City is positive," Bennett told the newspaper after he spoke at a luncheon for business leaders and developers at a Kansas City hotel.

"I'm somewhat familiar with Kansas City, and it will be fully considered," Bennett said. "You've got a brand-new, beautiful building in an important market. It's viable. We're going to do a complete and thorough evaluation of the market."

Bennett has been stymied in efforts to build a proposed $500 million arena in Renton. The state Legislature adjourned in April without taking action on a proposal that would provide $300 in taxes for the project, and it's highly unlikely Gov. Chris Gregoire would call a special session to revisit the plan.

It has been assumed that Bennett would try to move the Sonics to his hometown Oklahoma City if he failed to get a local arena deal for the Sonics.

"Right now, we have no option other than to explore relocation," Bennett told the Star.

The Sprint Center cost $276 million to build, and all 72 suites have been pre-sold on a long-term basis, according to the Star report.

Tim Leiweke, president of Los Angeles-based Anschutz Entertainment Group, which will manage the Sprint Center, said he was encouraged by Bennett's comments.

"We're talking to Clay, I'll leave it at that," Leiweke told the Star on Tuesday. "But let's be honest here. If that franchise does move, the odds-on favorite is Oklahoma City. </div>

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/basketball/316777_kcity23.html

2. Iron Shiek

Iron Shiek Maintain and Hold It Down

Something tells me with Durant coming to town you are going to here less and less about relocation. Tax payers now have an added incentive to support the devious efforts of Clay Bennett.

3. Shard

Shard Hi2u

I really hate Clay Bennett.