Devin Ebanks

Discussion in 'College Recruiting and Prospects' started by playmaker15, Jun 10, 2007.

1. playmaker15

playmaker15 JBB Droppin Dimes

I read in the Miami Herald the other day that Devin Ebanks, one of the top recruits for next years class is going to attend either Miami or Indiana. I really hope he ends up at Miami because we need a big recruit like that to go alongside Edwin Rios and McClinton for the next few seasons. Has anyone heard anything?

2. STC

STC JBB JustBBall Member

Yeah, he said Miami and Indiana are neck and neck, and Rutgers is behind them.

Makes no sense. He said he wants to go to a school that proves they can get top players, but he is interested in Miami?

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post"><font size="2">*Asked what Rutgers needed to do to land a player such as himself or Samardo Samuels, Ebanks said: "They need to basically prove themselves by getting players who are Top 10, Top 15 in their class...I've played with Mike Coburn, Corey Chandler's pretty good. I just need to see the improvement, basically."</font></div><font size="2">

(Coburn and Chandler are two RU recruits)
    </font>
    Supposedly, he took another visit to Rutgers this weekend.

From what I have heard, his mom wants him to go to Rutgers, and he wants to go to Miami.

His mom doesn't like Miami. Indiana may be the settlement.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post"><font size="2">"I also was told part of the reason Ebanks' mom didn't like the visit to UM as much as Indiana was because the family stayed on South Beach. My source told me his mom didn't like the party environment and would like to see her son in a place where he can't get in trouble."</font></div><font size="2">

He looks like he could be a one and done player, probably 2 years though. He's got that Rudy Gay, Kevin Durant type game.

I've been following his recruitment recently, hoping we can land him, but doesn't look like it will happen.
    </font>

3. playmaker15

playmaker15 JBB Droppin Dimes

Well a lot of people though Edwin Rios dropped off but that was because of an injury and he wanted to become more of a PG. Edwin Rios was once a top 5 PG in the country until his injury. I think Rios is a huge recruit for Miami and will play a big role in drawing other players to UM. Ebanks has said that his mom like Indiana but he also said it is still his decision. If in fact he does want to go to Miami then he should go.

4. STC

STC JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">He was not certain which day he would announce but said he is down to Indiana, Miami and Rutgers.

Asked where Rutgers fit in, Ebanks said: "Right now, they're on good terms."</div>He is announcing this weekend.

5. STC

STC JBB JustBBall Member

Looks like Miami is nearly out of it.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">In the past two days, I've spoken to Devin Ebanks, St. Thomas More coach Jere Quinn and others close to the 6-8 junior forward about his upcoming college announcement. Ebanks, the No. 10-ranked prospect in the nation by Scout.com in the Class of 2008, told me yesterday he plans to announce at this weekend's Rumble in the Bronx whether he will attend Rutgers, Indiana or Miami. Here's a breakdown of his chances of picking each school and why:

INDIANA (50 percent)
    Indiana entered the process late, but by all accounts has worked very hard to recruit Ebanks. One of the primary reasons the Hoosiers are in the mix is because one of Ebanks' AAU coaches, Kenny Gantman, is a 2001 IU grad.
    Ebanks took an unofficial visit to Indiana during an AAU trip last month and was clearly impressed with the school's tradition and with head coach Kelvin Sampson.<div style="padding-left: 20px;">"I?m really looking forward to getting a taste for Indiana basketball,? Ebanks told the Indianapolis Star. ?I?ve heard a lot about it from other people, but this will be my first chance to experience Indiana basketball in person. I?ve really been impressed with coach (Kelvin) Sampson and coach (Rob) Senderoff and I?m looking forward to seeing the campus, too.?
    </div>The downside is that Ebanks' mother, Yvonne Jackson, and his grandparents, who live in Georgia, appear to really want him to stay close to home in Queens, and Indiana is certainly not a place his mother can drive to quickly.

RUTGERS (40 percent)
    Rutgers assistant Craig Carter is an old friend of Ebanks' father, Hubert, and has worked extremely hard on the Ebanks recruitment; one day in January, head coach Fred Hill jumped out of the Rutgers team bus headed to Providence, got into Carter's car and the two drove to St. Thomas More to watch Ebanks and Rutgers commit Justin Sofman. Carter has also kept RU in with Christian Morris and worked hard to recruit Mike Davis.

"I've always been an advocate of hard work and to this day, no one has outworked Rutgers in the recruitment of Devin Ebanks," Quinn told ZAGSBLOG in January.

For his part, Ebanks said then, "Rutgers is definitely on my list. They regard me very highly."

Ebanks has been to Rutgers on several occasions, including for a recent high school camp in which he was photographed wearing a Rutgers T-shirt and shorts.

According to several sources, Ebanks' mother and his grandparents prefer Rutgers because they like Carter and believe he can mentor Ebanks. Obviously, the school is the closest of the three to Queens, meaning his mother can come and go to watch his games and look out for him.

"They definitely have a shot," said one person close to the situation.

MIAMI (10 percent)
    If Ebanks had his druthers, he might just go to Miami. He has developed a close relationship with <font color="#cc0000">Miami head coach Frank Haith</font>, who, like Ebanks, is a Queens native and has been recruiting him from the beginning. Asked if the <font color="#cc0000">imminent departure of Miami AD Paul Dee in 2008</font> might impact his decision, Ebanks said: "Right now, we're trying to find out what's going to happen with that."

Miami clearly does not have the tradition of Indiana, nor the accessibility of Rutgers, but he could go in as a big star similar to what Darius Rice, a 2000 McDonald's All-American, was when he opted for Miami over higher-profile programs.

But Ebanks' mother seems opposed to her son going so far away, and Ebanks would have to win that battle to make this happen.</div>

6. STC

STC JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Reports indicate that Devin Ebanks will announce his college choice at noon on Saturday at the Rumble in the Bronx. Of course, the way these things work, the decision could leak out before then. The 6-8 Ebanks is down to Indiana, Rutgers and Miami, and ZAGSBLOG has already broken down his options. His Team Takeover is scheduled to play at 10:30 Saturday morning and again at 4:45 at Fordham University.</div>

<font size="1">Devin Ebanks

</font>[​IMG]

7. STC

STC JBB JustBBall Member

All the rumors are saying Ebanks is going to Indiana.

8. STC

STC JBB JustBBall Member

Ebanks committed to Indiana today.

9. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

Here's an official link to the story -

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Devin Ebanks Makes Decision

Devin Ebanks has made it no secret that Miami has been his No. 1 choice for the past few months. The Brooklyn native, who will return to St. Thomas More (Conn.) next season, gave Scout.com an exclusive at where he's headed for college. Here's a hint: Things have changed over the past few months.</div>

Link

Sampson's really proven to be a hell of a recruiter. I wonder how long it'll be before Indiana's back on the map as a national power.

10. BigBlueFan

BigBlueFan BBW Member

Hell of a get for Sampson and company.

with Mackey, Jones and now Ebanks coming in, Indiana is shaping up to have a top 10 class for '08...