Fixing the Grizz

Discussion in 'Out of Bounds' started by Voodoo Child, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

So a friend and I were talking about the Grizz, and we started talking about what moves we would make if we were the GM? This is basically, my farfetched idea to chance the team -

Move #1 -

Grizzlies Trade - Rudy Gay, Damon Stoudamire, Brian Cardinal
    Blazers Trade - Zach Randolph, #37 pick

Reason Portland does it - They're shopping Randolph, they're going for youth, and they need help at the wing and at the point more than anywhere.

Move #2 -

Sign Vince Carter or Rashard Lewis.

Why Carter or Lewis signs - Memphis is one of the few teams that can offer one of them a long, max deal. Basically, they'd just have to beat out their old teams, Charlotte, and Orlando to get either's services. There's just not much talk about Memphis pushing for them now because Gay's still on the roster, but if they dealt him, they'd move to the top of their free agent list.

Move #3 -

Grizzlies Trade - Stromile Swift, Hakim Warrick, Tarence Kinsey
    Nets Trade - #17 pick, Jason Collins, Bernard Robinson

Why New Jersey does it - They need forwards, and both Swift and Warrick, who don't fit well in Memphis, would fit in perfectly with Jason Kidd running the break.

Move #4 -

Sign Antonio McDyess, Dee Brown, and Dahntay Jones.

McDyess would probably be the hardest to get out of the three, but with the lineup looking like it is at this point, McDyess might consider coming here. He's about to retire, and he lives in the area.

Move #5 -

Draft Mike Conley (#4), Thaddeus Young (#17), and Alando Tucker, Jared Dudley, Demetris Nichols, etc. (#37)

Final Roster:

PG - Mike Conley, Jr./Kyle Lowry/Dee Brown
    SG - Mike Miller/Dahntay Jones/Bernard Robinson
    SF - Vince Carter (or Lewis)/Thaddeus Young (or Byars)/Alando Tucker
    PF - Zach Randolph/Antonio McDyess/Alexander Johnson
    C - Pau Gasol/Jason Collins/Sergei Lishouk

2. J_Ray

J_Ray JBB JustBBall Member

Nice PG by committee, I doubt Utah lets Dee Brown go anywhere. I don't think Memphis would give up on Rudy Gay this quickly, because they gave up Battier for him. Battier was the reason they were playoffs bound every year, so they must see something in Rudy Gay they like.

3. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">J_Ray Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Nice PG by committee, I doubt Utah lets Dee Brown go anywhere. I don't think Memphis would give up on Rudy Gay this quickly, because they gave up Battier for him. Battier was the reason they were playoffs bound every year, so they must see something in Rudy Gay they like.</div>

Yeah, Dee Brown was a bit of wishful thinking on my part, and even though I know the Grizzlies are really high on Gay, this is what I'd do if I had the reigns, and I'm not exactly his #1 fan.

4. J_Ray

J_Ray JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Voodoo Child Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Yeah, Dee Brown was a bit of wishful thinking on my part, and even though I know the Grizzlies are really high on Gay, this is what I'd do if I had the reigns, and I'm not exactly his #1 fan.</div>

I think Rudy Gay is on the path for stardom, but not top jersey sales like Randolph would bring. He was the best swingman out of last year's draft IMO, so I think he should stay.