Sixers Sign Young, Smith to Rookie Contracts

Discussion in 'Philadelphia 76ers' started by Really Lost One, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Really Lost One

Really Lost One Suspended

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Philadelphia 76ers President Billy King announced today that the team has signed rookie first round picks Thaddeus Young and Jason Smith. Per team policy, terms of the deals were not disclosed.

A 6-foot-8, 210-pound guard/forward, Young was the 12th overall pick by Philadelphia in the 2007 NBA Draft. As a freshman for Georgia Tech last season, he scored a team-high tying 14.4 points per game while adding averages of 4.9 rebounds, 2.0 assists and 1.29 steals. The 19-year-old also hit 39 three-pointers on 41.9 percent shooting in 31 games played.

A 7-0, 233-pound forward, Smith was originally drafted by Miami with the 20th overall pick, but his rights were traded to Philadelphia in exchange for the rights to Daequan Cook (21st overall pick), the Sixers second-round pick in 2009 and cash considerations. As a junior for Colorado State last season, he led the Mountain Valley Conference in rebounding (10.1 rpg) while ranking sixth in scoring (16.8 ppg), fourth in blocks (1.60 bpg), fourth in field goal percentage (.579) and fourth in free throw percentage (.770).</div>

Link

"Per team policy, terms of the deals were not disclosed"

2. Midnight Green

Midnight Green NFLC nflcentral.net Member

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that the deal is two years with a team option for the third and fourth year, just like every other rookie contract.

3. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

<div class="quote_poster">Blur Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">It doesn't take a genius to figure out that the deal is two years with a team option for the third and fourth year, just like every other rookie contract.</div>

I think they need to make it so the rookies don't get paid till the end of the season, and by that i mean they discuss the contract then to see how much they are worth. So for example, Kwame Brown would be broke, if it worked that way.[​IMG]

4. Really Lost One

<div class="quote_poster">Blur Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">It doesn't take a genius to figure out that the deal is two years with a team option for the third and fourth year, just like every other rookie contract.</div>

The amount of $$$$$

5. Midnight Green

Midnight Green NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<div class="quote_poster">Brian Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">The amount of $$$$$</div>

The rookie contracts are slotted ahead of time by the position they are drafted in, a simple Google search could answer that question (roughly).

On a side note whats up with Byars not signing yet?

6. Really Lost One

Young Comments After Being Signed By the Sixers

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Thaddeus Young was selected by the Sixers in the 2007 draft nearly two weeks ago, but had a weight lifted from his shoulders, July 10th, when details of his contract were finalized.

?It?s a relief to have a contract signed,? said Young. ?But right now I?m out here playing ball? My uncle has been taking care of the details for me.?

Patience is key for Young as he continues to adjust to the NBA style of play. Through the first four summer league games, he has contributed at the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas, averaging 10.0 points and 5.3 rebounds per game.

?I?ve been playing pretty well in Vegas. I?ve been getting in trying to rebound and I?ve also been trying to do a little scoring,? said Young. ?I know I?m going to have to wait my time, and I am willing to wait my time, but I?m going to go out there and play hard and do what I?ve got to do to earn the minutes.?

Young joins the Sixers after one season at Georgia Tech where he averaged 14.4 points and 4.9 rebounds per game while connecting on (39-93 3FG, .419) shooting in 31 games played. Although he played in one of college basketball?s elite conferences, Young knows and understands the differences between college basketball and the NBA. He realizes he has some things to work on.

?I came in knowing the guys were much stronger and bigger and much more aggressive. I feel that I have to go out and play aggressively and be as strong as they are. That?s really what I?ve been doing. In college you run, run, run, and in the NBA they tell you to slow things down,? Young said.

Though he may have to wait for his playing time, for the time being Young is focused on improving his basketball skills and becoming more aggressive during summer league play.

?I would like to shoot the ball better and I feel I can be much better hitting the boards. I?ve been getting in there and getting some key rebounds, but I want to be much more aggressive,? Young said.

The Sixers will wrap-up their Vegas summer-league games tonight vs. Phoenix (8 p.m., CSN), before continuing at Rocky Mountain Revue in Salt Lake City, Utah, Friday, July 13th.

</div>

Link

7. Butter

Butter JBB Blood Sugar Baby

Sign Herb Hill! Kid's a brick wall!

8. fatballer_10

fatballer_10 JBB JustBBall Member

Why haven't we signed Herbert Hill and Byars??? Of course we were going to sign Young and Smith, but these other two can really help us out. Hill has been solid through the summer league.