JBB soccer league

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Bahir, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Bahir

Bahir User power factor: ∞

For a while now, I've been a member of an online simulation soccer league. Basically, you get to be the manager of a team, and you can buy and sell players, train them, use different tactics and lineups for game among other things. It's a pretty simple game compared to other similar things such as Manager Zone. The game is about setting the tactics before a game takes place, so you don't have to be logged in at a certain time during the day, because you have no control of the team during a game.

When you join a league, you will get a new team with players differing in skill and age, all random (so you'll have to trust your luck on that one). After that, you can buy, sell and train players. To fund your team, you can do a very easy quiz each week, and also do a press statement once each week (with 250 or more characters).

I hope I didn't make it sound too advanced because it really isn't. If anyone wants to join please tell me in this thread. You won't have to log on and check your team every day, but do it at least once or twice a week if you want to stay competitive. Once you're logged in, taking care of what needs to be done really doesn't take much time, maybe 5-10 minutes once you get the hang of it.

The website is XpertEleven.com

2. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    Seems alright, but I'd rather have all the Football Manager fans we have on here start a league in that since there is far more accessability. Plus the game can be found for free online these days it seems so everyone can join in.

3. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    Get that started M Two One, I've lost interest in FM for a few months now but I'll start it back up for a LAN game.

Or wait for FM 2008?

4. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    I think probably wait for FM 2008 because the current one has lost all charm since the transfer market has blown open. Almost every club is completely revamped across the globe and I wouldn't be caught dead trying to update everything. lol

Once '08 releases we should get a league going here. I bet Chutney wouldn't mind joining us. What do you think? Bahir, Locke, Chutney, anyone else interested?

5. Shard

Shard Hi2u

I'm a big sim fan, but I don't know much about soccer management. If someone would care to explain some of it i'd join and download the game or something. You can always rip me off due to my lack of knowledge =).

6. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Shard Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I'm a big sim fan, but I don't know much about soccer management. If someone would care to explain some of it i'd join and download the game or something. You can always rip me off due to my lack of knowledge =).</div>

In soccer, you are a manager, quite different then a regular coach. You set up your formations (starting eleven players with defenders, midfielders, strikers, etc) and the bench. You know that in this sport there are no time outs, but you can make substitutions anytime during a match. Only three subs are allowed by standard rules and you cannot sub anyone back into a match when they've been taken out. Your main goal is to sign players through the free agency market and more importantly the transfer market when the seasons are open. Transfer markets are generally open from July 1 to August 31 and then the second market is open from early to mid January. You only need to do this to help gain better players for positions you feel will make your club better. Usually there is always someone you could use.

In FM there is a massive amount of detail to follow such as tracking your youth production, signing and loaning out players, making friendships and gaining respect, managing finances, keeping track of team morale, talking to your players for opinions among many other things and the list can go on and on. You basically get into the game by having everything thrown at you. Within two weeks you should have everything down and be competing the mid-level class. By a month's time you should be able to understand enough to compete with the better crowd. The game becomes addicting as hell once the season has rolled through a few matches and you're roaring to gain points with wins and draws.

7. Shard

Shard Hi2u

^ I'll get the game and check it out. I play alot of Out Of The Park Baseball which I think is somewhat similar but with baseball. It uses all aspects of the game from coaching to the front office and whatnot. Hopefully i'll be able to understand it quickly.

8. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

I'm definitely down, M. I had stopped playing FM during the school year, but now that you reminded me I might pick up where I left off.

9. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    Hey I was thinkin'. Why don't we start a fantasy league or something? The EPL has one and while it isn't my favorite league it would still be cool. No betting you know, just for fun.

<div class="quote_poster">Shard Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">^ I'll get the game and check it out. I play alot of Out Of The Park Baseball which I think is somewhat similar but with baseball. It uses all aspects of the game from coaching to the front office and whatnot. Hopefully i'll be able to understand it quickly.</div>

You're in luck because Out of the Park Baseball is from the same company. [​IMG]

10. NTC

NTC Active Member

I might be interested, I have a minor interest in Soccer (or Football for you freaks, lol)

11. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">NTC Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I might be interested, I have a minor interest in Soccer (or Football for you freaks, lol)</div>

That'd be me.

12. bbwchingy0007

bbwchingy0007 BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">M Two One Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I think probably wait for FM 2008 because the current one has lost all charm since the transfer market has blown open. Almost every club is completely revamped across the globe and I wouldn't be caught dead trying to update everything. lol

Once '08 releases we should get a league going here. I bet Chutney wouldn't mind joining us. What do you think? Bahir, Locke, Chutney, anyone else interested?</div>

There is not going to be an FM 08. Instead, it will be Football Manage Live, where, I think, all games will be played online.

13. kobimel

kobimel Hapoel

I'll join a FM league if you guys make one. I haven't played the game in a few months, but I'm sure that if I start again I'll get addicted and play for another 3 months. lol.

No FM08? That sucks, I don't want to play all of my games on the net. It takes away the concept of FM. Most of the time I just want to see how high I can take a club, not to see if I can beat some dude from Finland online.

An online league is cool once in a while, but I just hope there's an option to play real FM (by that I mean playing against the CPU in a dark room for 4 hours straight) and not just online play.

14. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

FM is fantastically addictive, but I really hope they clean up the match engine for 08. Having revamped scouting and tactical systems and feeder clubs is all well and good, but when you're losing to laughable defensive errors every second game it sucks the fun out a bit.

All that being said, it still eats up half of my life.

15. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

There is certainly going to be an FM08.

Live is just the current project, hence it taking up all the headlines.

16. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">chingy0007 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">There is not going to be an FM 08. Instead, it will be Football Manage Live, where, I think, all games will be played online.</div>

From I've learned directly from developer SI a few months ago (thanks to my subscription) there is indeed a Football Manager 2008. The new game you're thinking of is just an additional project and just presents new features that aren't available in the regular game. From a financial standpoint, they'd be stupid to just make the game an online experience alone.

17. bbwchingy0007

bbwchingy0007 BBW Member

I hope there will be an FM 08, as with sim games I prefer offline play, so I can take a lot of time over my moves and suchlike. My FM teams rule. Which teams do you guys play with?

18. kobimel

kobimel Hapoel

I try to use different teams. Usually I either take Beitar Jerusalem (Israel's Chelsea with a staring tranfer budget of 5 million pounds compared to around 1.5 million for the next richest team in Israel) and try to see how many championships/cups/EURO cups I can win in a span of so and so years and try to attract world class players (sometimes I do the same with teams like Arsenal, Real, Barca, etc. but not much because with them it gets boring fast), or a team like Villareal and Bolton and try to win the league and Champions league with the team, or take a random team with a low budget who is facing relegation and try to take them as far as I can. All those options are fun.

19. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    I use whichever club comes to mind. My favorite league is La Liga though. I know how to mod the game to death, so I created my own club using the game's editing feature and designed the kits in Photoshop CS2. That was fun for a while, one season really, then I got bored with the game. Waiting patiently for 08.

I'll go snag a pic ..

There you are, Springfield home.

[​IMG]

20. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

I always start in the lower English leagues, as I think it's probably the hardest system to get to the top in, and I get a lot of satisfaction in getting a League Two or Conference team in the EPL and then hopefully Europe. In previous editions you could get a team from the lower leagues up to the top with your eyes closed, but in 07 it's a lot harder which is good.

Currently in my second season with Wycombe Wanderers.