Big Trade Clears the Way for Aldridge

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Shapecity, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">LAS VEGAS ? As with all the Trail Blazer players, LaMarcus Aldridge liked Zach Randolph personally.

But when Portland sent the high-scoring, multishenanigan forward to the New York Knicks on NBA draft night last month, there couldn?t have been a player happier than LaMarcus Aldridge.

The move freed up the starting power forward position for Aldridge, who had divided time between center and forward as a rookie last season.

?I love it,? Aldridge says. Power forward ?is my natural position. Plus, having (Greg) Oden around is going to make my job easier. He?ll command double-teams just by being him.?

One of the reasons General Manager Kevin Pritchard and coach Nate McMillan were so excited about Las Vegas Summer League play was the opportunity to begin the process of meshing the talents of Aldridge and Oden ? the 7-foot No. 1 draft choice out of Ohio State ? in the Blazer lineup.

That plan got cut short. Aldridge and Oden had five days of post-draft workouts in Portland together, then played in two summer-league games before it fell apart because of Oden?s sore tonsils and Aldridge?s sore heel.

While Oden was on his way to a summer-league season record for personal fouls (19 in two games), Aldridge was playing up a storm, going for 26 points, 11 rebounds and three blocked shots against Boston and collecting 16 points, 11 boards and three blocks against Dallas.

Though the Blazers elected to sit him out the last three games, he practiced and stayed with the team through Sunday?s finale.

?It?s been worthwhile,? says Aldridge, who turns 22 on Thursday. ?I?ve been able to spend time with my teammates, plus sort of get a feel for what?s in store for us next season.?</div>

Source: Portland Tribune