Powell to Clips?

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by DTKennedy, Aug 13, 2007.

1. DTKennedy

DTKennedy JBB JustBBall Member

Posted on hoopsHype. 3-year deal apparently. Honestly i was never crazy about him, and (with Brand out) he's very likely to get the playing time to prove me wrong.

2. oaktank88

oaktank88 JBB JustBBall Member

i thought powell was pretty intriguing. he could get up and down the floor, grab some rebounds, and he hit his free throws. i dont think his potential is too great but with more PT he could have been a good with us this year. i just hope the reason he's gone isn't because we signed austin croshere. if we took croshere over powell i'll be pretty upset. croshere sucks. he's not even a shooter. he had 2 good years shooting the 3 ball and has sucked every other year.

3. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">oaktank88 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">i thought powell was pretty intriguing. he could get up and down the floor, grab some rebounds, and he hit his free throws. i dont think his potential is too great but with more PT he could have been a good with us this year. i just hope the reason he's gone isn't because we signed austin croshere. if we took croshere over powell i'll be pretty upset. croshere sucks. he's not even a shooter. he had 2 good years shooting the 3 ball and has sucked every other year.</div>

I'm guessing Powell wanted multiple years/guaranteed money that Mullin just wasn't willing to give. IIRC Powell even said a while back the W's weren't being responsive at all in contract talks. They offered the QO and nothing more. Powell was a nice player but we just added a couple of similar young bigs in Wright and Lasme. Croshere is nothing special but a nice veteran 12th man who can shoot the 3 and was willing to sign for 1 year, 770 k.

4. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Yeah, I wasn't really keen on Powell either. I thought he was a good rebounder, though. Other than that, he seemed to be too perimeter oriented like he can't win the strength mismatch against other power forwards. [​IMG]

...or he might not be good at inside footwork.

5. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

Bummed about this. Loved Powell's game. We got the better end of the deal in the Diogu - Powell swap. He likes to rebound and block shots too. Tough inside. Great mid-range jumper. Very good free throw shooter.

Oh well, I'll get over it. Watch Powell become a 15/8 guy this year in Clip-land...

6. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    <div class="quote_poster">AlleyOop Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Bummed about this. Loved Powell's game. We got the better end of the deal in the Diogu - Powell swap. He likes to rebound and block shots too. Tough inside. Great mid-range jumper. Very good free throw shooter.

Oh well, I'll get over it. Watch Powell become a 15/8 guy this year in Clip-land...</div>

I liked Powell's game and the fact that he could hit free throws (big deal on a weak FT shooting team) and grab some boards (another big deal on a weak rebounding team).

I guess it came down to a numbers game whether we were going to keep him or not. Since Nellie didn't use him very much, I thought it was going to be a one year deal if he was coming back. However, we signed the Austin man, so wasn't sure if he'd be back. There was someone who said Powell was going to Italy earlier.

I was surprised the Clips got him and signed him for three years. That's a big jump from one year, so there was no way we could've kept him. Does anyone know how much he got?

Oh well, on the bright side it looks like Stephene Lasme is gonna get a chance to show what he could do [​IMG] !!!

7. DTKennedy

DTKennedy JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">jason voorhees Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">
    I was surprised the Clips got him and signed him for three years. That's a big jump from one year, so there was no way we could've kept him. Does anyone know how much he got?
    </div>

My impression is that it was a semi-desperation signing...they can't know how well Brand will recover from the Achilles injury, so start stockpiling bigs and see what they can do.

8. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

The Clippers options were essentially this: Anderson Varejao (who is restricted), P.J. Brown (who has a million suitors), Brian Skinner (yes, Brian Skinner), or Powell. I would definitely agree that it was the best they could do and I'm glad Powell will have some playing time and a guaranteed contract somewhere so he can develop his game more.

9. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">AlleyOop Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Bummed about this. Loved Powell's game. We got the better end of the deal in the Diogu - Powell swap. He likes to rebound and block shots too. Tough inside. Great mid-range jumper. Very good free throw shooter.

Oh well, I'll get over it. Watch Powell become a 15/8 guy this year in Clip-land...</div>

AO, you thought he was better than Diogu? As I recall Diogu barely got a chance to prove himself because both coaches he was under tried to use him as a center. Then they called out his defense, but then it's like coaches seem to forget that Murphy and Dunleavy still play who are arguably even worse defenders because of their softness. I never understood why Beans and Diogu never played much together, but maybe it had to do something with foul trouble or whatnot.

I'd still take Ike Dog over Powell anyday, I'd take him over Murphy and Dunleavy at center or power forward. The beauty of trading Diogu away was that we got pretty good complimentary players at the 2,3, and 4, and we got rid of those two 6'10+ overpaid bums on our team. Everyone should have realized it was the center situation that killed us from the get-go and how our top paid perimeter guys were a bit too perimeter for their own good and lacked the ability to drive in the lane or play defense. We get rid of our biggest two weaknesses in Dun/Foyle and Foyle plays less because of AH and Beans playing center, it's no wonder we actually did a lot better even with injuries. If that trade hadn't gone down, Nelson would be totally jacked. That's one thing that Monty didn't do is address his weaknesses and push for trades. He was too much of a wuss to say, "My best players freakin' suck and I need to play the rookies or get real vets that can play until I'm ready to play the rooks!" We had all these homegrown or overpaid schmucks that were only successful on other teams with franchise players.

And Pietrus and Barnes definitely helped out by their hustle, but I think their days are numbered once we actually get a good big man. I'm not saying get Ike Diogu back, but we need a more athletic, taller version of him. If Brandan Wright can get strong, I'd probably like him as much as Ike because of the low post footwork and big man fundamentals. Plus, he's really athletic. He probably won't be a much better defender than Ike (too unaggressive and weak right now), but he'll block more shots.

10. Custodianrules2

I also heard that Brandan Wright is a smarter passer on the double team than Ike or Powell. That will be key if we had a low post threat for once in this franchise's lousy Cohan era.

I think Rick Barry said it correctly when this franchise has to improve on defense, rebounding, low post game before it can go anywhere. Otherwise we'll be stuck in the same Run TMC era where we entertain, but don't win anything serious. I want this team to win a ring sometime when I'm alive. Then I can be content. [​IMG]

11. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I want this team to win a ring sometime when I'm alive. Then I can be content. [​IMG]</div>

I find that really hard to believe.

Not the ring part, but you actually being content [​IMG]

What happened to your supreme pessimism?!? [​IMG]

12. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

Yes, as of right now, I think Powell has become a better player than Diogu, simply because he has proven consistent in limited minutes, where Diogu couldn't even get off the bench in Indiana because he did not prove consistent.

Diogu has the low-post offensive repertoire to be dominant on the block, but he becomes a liability defensively and set-wise. Powell has a modest collection of moves in the paint, but you know that when he gets it, the ball is at least safe in his hands.

Remember how hard it has been for Diogu to learn to pass out of the double-team? It still gives him fits. He just tries to bully it and force it over two defenders. Teams would just draw up a double on him every time he touched the ball, because they knew he couldn't find the open man.

Both Powell and Diogu have the same leve of mid-range game -- both can simply stroke the jumper from mid-range. Two of the best mid-range shooting big men in the league, to be honest. You watch -- if Powell gets a shot, he'll prove his bread and butter is the pick-n-roll with Cassell down in LA. Those two will become best friends.

Where Powell has the edge over Diogu is that he can block shots, defend, and rebound well for his size. He's quiet, but reliable, solid and consistent. That's a lot to say for a player so young.

Diogu has more star-potential in the long run, but as of right now Powell to me is a better player.