Howard Struggling as Team USA Cruises

Discussion in 'Orlando Magic' started by Shapecity, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Team USA has been all about team effort, with their main goal this summer at the FIBA Americas Championship of locking up an Olympic spot for next summer. The Americans finished the preliminary round undefeated 4-0 after pummeling Brazil 113-76 Sunday night in Las Vegas. But the victory, which handed the talented Brazilians their first loss, did not provide a very good showing for the U.S. big men -- including Orlando's Dwight Howard.

The Magic center managed just three points, two rebounds, a steal and a block in 19 minutes. Meanwhile, former Cypress Creek standout and current Phoenix Sun Amare Stoudemire had 11 points, 5 rebounds, a block and a steal and Tyson Chandler had no points and five rebounds. Those were the lowest numbers of the tournament for both Howard and Stoudemire. Brazil's Nene (Denver Nuggets) totaled 8 points, 5 rebounds and a steal, and Tiago Splitter (draft pick of San Antonio Spurs who likely will remain in Europe this season) had 13 points and 9 rebounds, and both played more minutes than any of the American big men.

Howard was hit with his fourth foul early in the third quarter, and considering how physical the game was, a couple of the fouls might have been ticky-tack. Even before that, though, his play did not appear as sharp as usual. Howard uncharacteristically tipped some potential rebounds out of bounds instead of hauling them in, and he had a couple passes thrown his way near the basket that he just didn't take control of. He only got off two shots, but he could have had at least three more. Most surprisingly, on several plays, he was boxed out and beat to the ball by Nene, who didn't appear to be in nearly as good condition. On the positive side, though, just Howard's presence discouraged the Brazilians from driving to the basket on some plays as he stepped in and chased them out of the lane. Perhaps fatigue was a factor because it was Team USA's fourth game in five days, and Brazil was really trying to push the pace of play. But Team USA has games in the next four consecutive days (that will be six days in a row) that it will have to play well in to reach the semifinal round, and the Magic will have a lot of four-games-in-five-nights to start their season so fighting through fatigue will be key.</div>

Source: Orlando Sentinel

I didn't realize how bad Dwight Howard's hands were until watching him the tournament. It's hard to explain because you see him snatching one handed rebounds above the rim and securing it down in traffic. Then on offense you see him fumble the ball off his knee or get stripped trying to make a move in the post.

He doesn't have the soft hands or the finesse to handle unexpected passes. Unless Kidd or LeBron hits him right in the chest with the pass, Howard usually turns it over.

He's not taking advantage of his ability to dominate in this tournament. He's stronger, taller, quicker, and can out jump anyone he's faced. It's really frustrating to watch him give up on a rebound and try to go for highlight blocks instead of playing good position defense and challenging shots rather than trying to send them into the 5th row seats.

For me, he's been the most disappointing player in the tournament for Team USA.

2. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

He has no moves. That is why I don't like Jameer Nelson as a PG. He keeps Howard one-dimensional almost. He Dunks it, turns it over or gets fouled. Howard and Nelson need to sit down, and work on their passing to catching. Howard needs to develop more moves and a better basketball IQ.

3. MainMan

MainMan JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Master Shake Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Jameer and Nelson need to sit down, and work on their passing to catching.</div>

interesting....

4. P.A.P.

P.A.P. JBB Fresh Start

Dwight and Howard should also sit down and work on their catching.

5. Master Shake

<div class="quote_poster">P.A.P. Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Dwight and Howard should also sit down and work on their catching.</div>

Dwight and Howard? [​IMG] Play on words?

6. Pakman

Pakman JBB ITS ON ME!!!

Master and Shake needs to sit down and edit his post already.

7. CLos

CLos JBB=The Originals

<div class="quote_poster">Pakman Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Master and Shake needs to sit down and edit his post already.</div>

[​IMG]

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Master and Shake:</div><div class="quote_post">Jameer and Nelson need to sit down, and work on their passing to catching.</div>

[​IMG]

8. dallasdude

dallasdude JBB JustBBall Member

It's about time people admit Dwight Howard as overrated and a bust.

9. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

<div class="quote_poster">dallasdude Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">It's about time people admit Dwight Howard as overrated and a bust.</div>

Are you kidding me? A bust? Would you rather have Okafor over Dwight? He avg 18 and 12 as a 21 year old. It's not like he's in his prime now, he's still got several years before he hits his prime. If Brian Hill used him right and would get him the ball when he is playing good, then he would have avg over 20 ppg last season.

10. hustler

hustler Revving up the Engine

Hell no Dwight is still so young and as Gators mentioned he's not even reached his prime yet. The guy is an absolute beast and I have faith that he'll turn into a superstar in the next couple of years.

11. Master Shake

<div class="quote_poster">CLos Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">[​IMG]

[​IMG]</div>

OH MAN!, my bad. Dwight and Nelson, oh man, I feel like an idiot[​IMG]

12. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">dallasdude Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">It's about time people admit Dwight Howard as overrated and a bust.</div>

Overrated perhaps, but far from being a bust. He performed well last night for Team USA and did a much better job of taking advantage of his size, strength and leaping ability. The halfcourt alley oop from Kidd to Howard was insane.

Howard actually came off the bench last night, so maybe it calmed his nerves a little and gave him a chance to see how Mexico was defending and where he could make an impact.

I think Howard might be overrated in the sense he can carry a team by himself. Watching him play on a consistent basis, it's clear to me he needs a lot of talent around him to be successful. He can't really create for himself yet, and doesn't have any finess in the post. His game is almost one dimensional at this point, catch and dunk.

He's also not as good defensively as I originally thought. He was getting beat pretty bad by Adam Parada last night in the paint. Howard is a fantastic rebounder, but doesn't know how to body an opponent up and use his feet to beat the offensive player to a spot. Parada was able to slip by Howard relatively easy with his back to the basket moves.

13. CLos

CLos JBB=The Originals

Isn't he leading Team USA in rebounds and blocks per game though?

14. Jumpman

Jumpman And Your Nominees Are...

Dwight a bust is the funniest thing I've heard all summer. I'd trade Kobe and Odom for him for rebuilding.

<div class="quote_poster">CLos Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Isn't he leading Team USA in rebounds and blocks per game though?</div>

Carmelo is leading the team in rebounding.

15. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

<div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">
    I think Howard might be overrated in the sense he can carry a team by himself. Watching him play on a consistent basis, it's clear to me he needs a lot of talent around him to be successful. He can't really create for himself yet, and doesn't have any finess in the post. His game is almost one dimensional at this point, catch and dunk.

He's also not as good defensively as I originally thought. He was getting beat pretty bad by Adam Parada last night in the paint. Howard is a fantastic rebounder, but doesn't know how to body an opponent up and use his feet to beat the offensive player to a spot. Parada was able to slip by Howard relatively easy with his back to the basket moves.</div>

He really doesn't play disciplined on offense or defense which is why him getting those stats is impressive as hell. He doesn't really know how to box out, he doesn't really know where to be position wise on defense. Somehow he still avgs 18 and 12. Just imagine if he ever develops basically anything. He could potentially be one of the most dominating bigs in the history of the NBA, because he is 18 and 12 just based on pure athleticism right now.

Just looking at the statistics Dwight looks extremely impressive. Over 10 PPG shooting a shade under 80% and only 2 turnovers TOTAL in 5 games. He's blocked 2 shots a game as well.

I know statistics don't tell the whole story, but I haven't been able to watch a big portion of the games yet, but those statistics don't really sound like the most disappointing player in the tournament.

16. hustler

hustler Revving up the Engine

Lol you know DH made a guide on how to box out.

17. Butter

Butter JBB Blood Sugar Baby

To quote Borat himself, "Not so much".

Howard is no bust. The kid is capable of being the number one big man in the league in a few years. He seems inconsistent at times, but you can't judge his performance on a international team that he doesn't play with year round like he does with the Magic.

Dwight is freakishly athletic for his size, built like a tank and has a great knowledge for the game.

Forget this FIBAs stuff. Dwight will bring Orlando back to the Playoffs in '08 and hopefully won't be sent home early.

18. Master Shake

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Dwight is freakishly athletic for his size, built like a tank and has a great knowledge for the game.</div>

Explain to me his knowledge. If everyone is saying he has bad defense positioning, and his offense is very limited right now, how can he had great basketball knowledge? If he had great basketball knowledge then he would fix his positioning and so on.

19. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">GatorsowntheNCAA Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">He really doesn't play disciplined on offense or defense which is why him getting those stats is impressive as hell. He doesn't really know how to box out, he doesn't really know where to be position wise on defense. Somehow he still avgs 18 and 12. Just imagine if he ever develops basically anything. He could potentially be one of the most dominating bigs in the history of the NBA, because he is 18 and 12 just based on pure athleticism right now.

Just looking at the statistics Dwight looks extremely impressive. Over 10 PPG shooting a shade under 80% and only 2 turnovers TOTAL in 5 games. He's blocked 2 shots a game as well.

I know statistics don't tell the whole story, but I haven't been able to watch a big portion of the games yet, but those statistics don't really sound like the most disappointing player in the tournament.</div>

His field goal percentage is a fabric of players setting him up for easy dunks. Which goes back to my original point, Dwight Howard needs a lot of talent around him.

When the team has tried to run the offense through him, it results in a turnover or missed shot. There's no way Howard only has 2 turnovers through 5 games. Maybe they credited the person making the pass with the turnover even though it was Howard's fault for missing it.

To his credit he's played a lot better the last two games. He's finally playing the way he should be.