Fines

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by Wade3, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Wade3

Wade3 BBW Elite Member

Fines. Are they nessecary? Do you really think fines should be nessecary in the NBA. Let alone all major sports. Players get payed millions of dollars and then they get fined a small amount of cash. What does that teach them? I think a suspension would be better. A suspension would hurt the team if it was a key player to the team. Fines just takes easy earned cash away from a players and don't teach much of a lesson. It's like sitting in the corner for five minutes. But a suspension actually says do this and you have to sit out and watch your team play and it's like going to your room for an hour. Now im sure sitting in the corner is fun just so you can pick your nose some more but honestly should fines be given? Should suspensions be give instead of fines? Should fines and suspensions be given?Please only post if you are gonna debate. Not just post your opinion and leaving the topic to never be seen again.

2. CB4allstar

CB4allstar BBW Global Mod Team

If it is something serious then a fine and a suspension would be given out. I agree though, fines don't really matter mcuh to players because 5,000 is loose change to them. It doesn't teach them any lessons but usually if it is something important a suspension will go along with it which does teach them a lesson. And they cannot raise the price of fines because that just wouldn't be fair to the players'. But I don't see a problem with the way it's done. If a suspension is neccisary it will be given out along with the fine.

3. Wade3

Wade3 BBW Elite Member

I haven't seen a suspension and a fine given out to my knowledge. But yes, some things are only needed for a fine. But, wouldnt 1 game suspension be even to a 5-10 thousand dollar fine? Not counting money as a factor? I would say they are just about even.The thing is it may hurt the fan base because you may not to get to see your favorite player. But, if you think about it he shouldn't of taken the action he did and that is why he is facing the suspension.Anyways most players play for the money not the love of the game. I said most not all so bare that in mind..

4. CB4allstar

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wade3 @ Mar 30 2006, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I haven't seen a suspension and a fine given out to my knowledge. But yes, some things are only needed for a fine. But, wouldnt 1 game suspension be even to a 5-10 thousand dollar fine? Not counting money as a factor? I would say they are just about even.The thing is it may hurt the fan base because you may not to get to see your favorite player. But, if you think about it he shouldn't of taken the action he did and that is why he is facing the suspension.Anyways most players play for the money not the love of the game. I said most not all so bare that in mind..</div>Ahem, does the brawl mean anything to you? How does a suspension equal money loss? I don't know what you're getting at there. You may not get to see your favourite player? So what, if he does something wrong, i.e. punches somebody, hits cameraman, why should he not be punished just because fans want to see him? If he did the wrong doing he deserves to be suspended. Yeeeh. I don't see much of a debate going on here...

5. Waqas

Waqas Member

Hey, average salary in the NBA is $4.9 million, and the MINIMUM is like $300,000....fines are fair, then, lolz...

6. Wade3

Wade3 BBW Elite Member

That's what I said. I said in clear text like this"The thing is it may hurt the fan base because you may not to get to see your favorite player. But, if you think about it he shouldn't of taken the action he did and that is why he is facing the suspension."Some people would not like the fact that their player not be playing. And they would be getting upset but the player deserves it for whatever action he took.Someone will come in and disagree with it. Don't worrry.

7. Waqas

Waqas Member

Yeah, but Bruce Bowen deserves just to miss this next game against Spurs.

8. CB4allstar

Why would a fan get upset if a fan was not playing because he punched someone? It is common sense to hand out a suspension if a player did something worth the suspension so I don't see how a fan could complain with that.

9. Wade3

Wade3 BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Waqas @ Mar 30 2006, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Yeah, but Bruce Bowen deserves just to miss this next game against Spurs.</div>Would you just shutup about that? It is complete nonsence.And CB4 I know alot of people like someone I just quoted would not like to see people get suspened even if they are thier fan. Especially homers. [​IMG]

10. CB4allstar

Like you? jk dude. Lol, thats stupid. Thats like someone not hasving to go to jail because their family loves them. If they did the wrong doing they deserve to be punished. The fans aren't an important issue in something like that.

11. regularguy

regularguy BBW Elite Member

on this subject i think fines really aren't that much of a punishment and i agree with your points on how it isn't. but i disagree when you say that you should just suspend them. it's a good punishment, yes, but a lot of people would disagree on whether or not the suspension should of been issued in the first place. besides, suspensions are given out to the ones that deserve them anyway. for punishment i say you just raise the fines. they're low, but what if they were super high? that'll teach them a lesson.

12. CB4allstar

Yes, I think that you you should only be suspended if you physically harm anyone. Otherwise a simple fine is all you can do about it.

13. Wade3

Wade3 BBW Elite Member

That's what I was trying to get at. I didn't explain myself clearly enough I guess. But yes, I agree. Bowen got a 10,000 dollar fine it should of been more or even a suspension. You shouldnt be kicking peoples backs no matter what the circumstance is. That is just plain rude.

14. BrewCityBuck

BrewCityBuck The guy with 17,000 Posts.

It all goes to charity so they are fine but ineffective for the players...

15. regularguy

oh i didn't know they went to charity? that's cool. they should fine more often.

16. Wade3

Wade3 BBW Elite Member

Ya, from now on every foul is a 100 dollar fine.

17. regularguy

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wade3 @ Mar 30 2006, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Ya, from now on every foul is a 100 dollar fine.</div>i hope that's a joke.well.. i'll add more about fines. fines make the game more about the money instead of the game. because they play the game and they do it as well as they can but fines just encourage how important money is for the game.well my point is that it's scaring nba players into not playing to their fullest because of some lost money i guess?i don't know but it's really not up to us to decide these kind of things. we don't really need to discipline the nba anyway. most of them are mature and grown men.

18. Wade3

Wade3 BBW Elite Member

Yes, it was a joke. How are we scaring them? By giving them a 5,000 dollar fine? You have to be stupid to get a fine like that. Just plain stupid.

19. Wade3

Wade3 BBW Elite Member