Notice ANNOUNCEMENT PLEASE READ

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Denny Crane, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    We are considering changing the site software from vBulletin 4 to xenForo 1.4.

We've long been wanting to do a major site upgrade so we would be using more modern technology than the vB4 we've been using for the past several years.

I can list a whole lot of reasons why we want to switch, but it would take a lot of space to list them all here. But I can give you a handful of good reasons:

1. The xenforo editor is actually WYSIWYG. For me, I see the BBCode tags in the vB4 editor and it's not WYSIWYG at all. I have to click "preview post" button to see what the post will actually look like.

2. xenforo allows people to sign up using Facebook, twitter, and google credentials. The last straw for vB4 (for me) was trying to turn on Facebook login capability and finding out that vBulletin company knows it doesn't work and there's no fix in sight for it that I could find.

3. The xenforo skins are "responsive." This is a technical term that means that the forum resizes super nicely depending on the size of the browser window. Specifically, for phone and tablet screens. Instead of seeing the full page with tiny everything, the page is laid out in the correct size to fit the screen:

[​IMG]

4. The xenforo code is super clean and easy for me to work with. vBulletin is well known, but I found it to have a much larger learning curve to do anything with it at the code level.

The downsides are:
    1. I have to redo the skins on the entire site. That was a several day project for vB4. I will do the generic S2 then Blazers forum skins first, then take my time doing all the rest.

2. The site will have to go off the air for as much as 24 hours. The database has to be migrated from the vB4 table scheme to the xenforo one. The process of doing the ~4M database queries (we have 3.5M+ posts alone, each a query) takes time. If I leave the old site up, any posting done after taking a snapshot of the database will be lost when we flip the switch (switch over).

3. Some features are missing, some things don't work the same.

For example, the "members viewing forum" stats is not available out of the box with xenforo. I will be able to make that work, and I think it would be really slick when I do it. But you'll have to bear with us while I get around to doing it.

Another example is reputation. The new forum software has a concept of "likes" instead. People "like" threads/posts and it shows up like rep. You can see all your likes going back to the beginning with the new software. The likes show up in the thread view, too.

4. It took a lot of little tweaks to vB4 to get it the way it is now. It's going to take a lot of little tweaks to make xenforo the way we ultimately want it.

5. It's new. People generally don't like "new."

I have set up a xenforo version of SportsTwo on a public server that is password protected. if you want to have a look and try it out, send me a PM and I'll give you the details. I don't want it made public for security reasons.

If you have anything to say about whether we should or shouldn't do the upgrade, please reply in this thread. It's not a done deal, but I do think it's a good idea. If the idea is hugely unpopular, I could be convinced not to.

2. <-=*PdX*=->

<-=*PdX*=-> RCTID

this is just a ploy to put up a paywall! ;)

3. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

Will the site still work on TapaTalk? If so then go for it.

4. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    The site will work with TapaTalk. If it didn't, there's no way I'd switch. I use tapatalk all the time I'm away from the computer :)

5. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

does anyone really use facebook/google logins for stuff outside facebook/google things? That just seems stupid.

Other than that, change isn't bad. Do what you gotta do.

6. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    haha, I would never consider charging for access.

7. Strenuus

That's what she said.

8. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    The thinking on our part is that we get a lot of visitors from the Blazers site and their tweets. If it were easier to sign up to post, we'd get a lot more people involved.

9. Strenuus

Fair enough, I can understand that.

Would there be a way to sign in with twitter credentials, then?

10. BlazerBeachBum

BlazerBeachBum Well-Known Member

I am not computer savvy - so I did not understand much of what you said.
    My question is will the changes affect how & where I get to RC2? Will I sign in the same way?
    Will my tool bar still work? BUM

11. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    We have some flexibility with the new software to enable 1 or 2 click registration using Facebook or Twitter or Google credentials.

I can't count the number of sites I use my Facebook login to gain access to that I otherwise wouldn't.

12. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    The URL will be the same. Your login and password will be the same. The way the site works will mostly be the same. Things that will be different are your settings page (how you upload avatar and that sort of thing).

The post editor is much much much better, IMO.

13. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

THIS IS BULLSHIT.... :MARIS61:

hahah JK

14. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    I repeat....

The xenforo version of SportsTwo/RipCityTwo is on a public server for people to look at and try it out. I'd love to get any feedback about your experience with that version before we actually make a move.

To get access to the preview site, send me a PM and I'll provide the details.

15. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

We need detailed instructions on how to do it or I will lead a mass exodus back to Oreonlive... :tsktsk:

16. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

Although the Blazer group here has a rather checkered history with forum upgrades (we all left Fanhome when an upgrade went awry, and I think I remember considerable dissatisfaction when BBB became BBF or whatever that change was), I'm for it. I'm confident you'll get it right.

barfo

17. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Denny is being polite but I've been the torn in his side about this. I want an upgrade/new software. I don't like the difficulties and idiosyncrasies when it comes to posting links and posts from social media in here. Youtube, Twitter and Instagram postings are funky.

When I, Brian or even Mags now posts a link on twitter to the forum we can see an immediate spike in traffic and visitors but few if any of them post. Being able to log in with Facebook, Twitter and Google+ will make it easier for people to join in the discussions. Also it will make it easier for fans of other teams to join in and talk a little smack during the game threads.

There is a lot of great Blazer content that we're not able to or it's not easy to post in the forum. I really want this upgrade and I hope you do too.

And thanks for letting me bug you about this, Denny.

18. BLAZINGGIANTS

BLAZINGGIANTS Well-Known Member

Denny, why not start with the easier, more obvious change?

Get rid of Sly! :MARIS61:

19. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

:smiley-tongue::smiley-tongue::smiley-tongue::smiley-tongue:

20. blue32

blue32 Who wants a mustache ride?

Get 'er done!