Antawn Jamison's blog from NBA.com

Discussion in 'Washington Wizards' started by Zards, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Zards

Zards The People's Champ

Re: Antawn Jamison's blog from NBA.com

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>The Opportunity of a LifetimePosted by Antawn Jamison on July 19, 2006, 3:30 p.m. ET Pretty much since we got to Vegas and through our meetings last night and this morning, it has been made clear to us the importance of putting this group together and what it means to not only the NBA, the organizations and the fans, but to our country. We understand that this is a very important opportunity for all of us and we're all fighting for that position on the team. So far, Coach K and his staff have been phenomenal in terms of expressing what they want out of us offensively and defensively, and I think that the group of guys selected will seize the opportunity. Everyone here is very antsy and ready to get out and get going. We've known about this team since about midseason, but probably a week ago, we started to understand the importance of what was ahead of us with guys really trying to get in shape over the last month. It's been nice so far to have Gilbert here with me. Me and Gil, we see each other just about every day during the season, and now hopefully we'll be seeing each other for the rest of the summer. It's always good to have somebody you are accustomed to. We all have guys we deal with that we're good friends with on other teams, but to have somebody you are so familiar with, not only as a basketball player but as a person, it makes the whole thing smoother. He was up in my room last night, and I was in his room this morning before we went and got breakfast. So it is good to have somebody you can get away with and talk about certain things you probably wouldn't talk about with these other guys. We're all competing for different spots so it is a good opportunity and we're both enjoying it and having fun with it also. You can tell guys were ready to go at it this morning. We were all definitely paying attention from start to finish. Coach K communicated to us that offensively we want to move the ball, be unselfish, and give everybody the opportunity to score. Defensively we have to be better than in 2004. We want to make it tough for our opponents. We're playing by international rules now, so we have to do a great job of picking it up quickly and applying our athletic talents and our abilities to that style of play. Defensively we will be going at it. There is no excuse for not being where you are supposed to be on the floor. All five guys on the court need to talk and we need whomever is coming off the bench or the guys on the court to bring energy. Coach really wants guys to show enthusiasm and just go out there and have fun. Coach is as sharp as they come. He knows the game and he articulates things where you definitely understand it the first time he says it. You can see why he is one of the best, not only in college basketball, but as one of the best coaches at any level of basketball. It is just a great opportunity to play for him. From being a motivational speaker to letting you know what he expects out of you and being intense and being focused, the guy is top notch. It's very important for me to make this team. It's the opportunity of a lifetime, having the opportunity to not only represent my family, my friends, and my teammates, but my country. Next to the world championship, this is the most important thing affiliated with basketball, not only to win the world championship, but the gold medal. To have this opportunity to put on the USA jersey and say I represented my country would be my biggest accomplishment and hopefully it comes through. I am going to do everything possible to make it happen.</div>