Giroux signs extension with Flyers

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by NYR31, Jul 5, 2013.

1. NYR31

NYR31 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

8yrs, $8.3M/per with full NTC

I love Giroux plus he's young, but that's a huge contract.

2. chuckd3534

chuckd3534 Well-Known Member

Agreed, but I think that is a solid deal for both teams. A little over 8 mill per is what you would expect for a player like Giroux. Didn't get nearly or over 9 mill, which is a plus. Good signing both ways.

Looking forward to seeing what Hank gets. We see time and time again goalies don't get more than upper 5's for the most part. You have your small handful that get in the 6's. And one makes 7 mil per exactly in Rinne. Anything over the low 7's and I really think it is too much for a goalie. And if we get into the 8 mill per range I will not be happy. I am just not sure that is the way to build a good deep team. Having a goalie with an 8 mill + cap hit is dangerous.

3. NYR31

NYR31 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

we'll see what Rask gets, because if he gets $6.5M as rumored that he wants, Henrik is going to get very expensive

4. dumpstralmannow

dumpstralmannow Active Member

The Flyers by far the dumbest team in the NHL handing out long term, big money contracts.

5. chuckd3534

chuckd3534 Well-Known Member

I doubt Rask gets 6.5. I bet the mid to upper 5's. That is exactly what Smith got from Zona. 8 mill per for a goalie...no good.

And I agree overall dump on the Flyers, never know what their plan is. I do not agree on Giroux though. That is a good deal for both IMO. A little over an 8 mill per cap hit is fair for a guy like him. Their captain. And he is young.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  6. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

Agree chuck. Giroux is a great player and worth every penny. Hank will be signed but needs to sign at a not cap killing figure. Would love to see Sather get Hank to take something in the 7 mill range and work out some endorsement deals for a very marketable Hank to make up the difference. And if he really wants that cup Hanks got to spare some change to add some good components around him.