Heat Prepared to Offer Trade for Navarro

Discussion in 'Washington Wizards' started by Ming637, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">According to a league source, the Heat is preparing to make a trade offer to the Wizards for guard Juan Carlos Navarro, who recently negotiated his way out of a contract with FC Barcelona, one of the top teams in Europe. The Wizards have held Navarro's NBA rights since selecting him in the second round of the 2002 draft.</div>

Link

Hmm, I'm guessing they're going to offer James Posey. What do you guys think?

2. og15

og15 JBB *********

If they offer Posey, then they don't really want Navarro.

3. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

<div class="quote_poster">og15 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">If they offer Posey, then they don't really want Navarro.</div>

lol. He could be a Okay guy off the bench. But I much rather keep Navarro, he has such a prominent future.

4. og15

og15 JBB *********

Oh, this isn't because Posey would be a bad player off the bench for Washington, it's that the Wizards just re-signed Deshawn Stevenson, have Caron Butler at starting SF, drafted Nick Young (SG) and drafted McGuirre (SF). Also the Wizards are trying to lose salary, not gain, so if they were to sign Posey, it would be to a one year deal, and Posey won't agree with that.

It would have to be Etan + Navarro's rights for S&T Posey with a one year contract.

So if Miami is offering Posey, then they don't really want Navarro.

5. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

<div class="quote_poster">og15 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Oh, this isn't because Posey would be a bad player off the bench for Washington, it's that the Wizards just re-signed Deshawn Stevenson, have Caron Butler at starting SF, drafted Nick Young (SG) and drafted McGuirre (SF). Also the Wizards are trying to lose salary, not gain, so if they were to sign Posey, it would be to a one year deal, and Posey won't agree with that.

It would have to be Etan + Navarro's rights for S&T Posey with a one year contract.

So if Miami is offering Posey, then they don't really want Navarro.</div>

Dominic will need some time to work his way into the rotation. He's still too skinny to be a solid defender in the NBA at this point. Posey would be great for McGuire to learn from. He's a solid defender who can knock down jump shots. I would really like to have Posey on this team.

6. og15

og15 JBB *********

Luxury tax, Wizards needing cap in 2008 summer all don't agree with Posey on the team. I agree that at first McGuirre would be better defensively at SG, but he has a body that can fill up, and there are some smaller SF's in the league weight wise.

What the team needs to build good defenders is a better defensive system, and a defensive assistant coach. I feel one of the best ways to get better defensively as a perimeter player is to be on a team that has some good offensive players. Arenas and Caron Butler are very nice players to work on your defense with.

7. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

<div class="quote_poster">og15 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Luxury tax, Wizards needing cap in 2008 summer all don't agree with Posey on the team. I agree that at first McGuirre would be better defensively at SG, but he has a body that can fill up, and there are some smaller SF's in the league weight wise.
    </div>

Remember that in a deal, the Wizards would likely be giving up Etan Thomas's big contract. As long as Posey's contract is reasonable, I think our cap situation for re-signing Arenas and keeping away from the Luxury tax should be fine.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">What the team needs to build good defenders is a better defensive system, and a defensive assistant coach. I feel one of the best ways to get better defensively as a perimeter player is to be on a team that has some good offensive players. Arenas and Caron Butler are very nice players to work on your defense with.</div>

Agreed, that is what Tom Thibodeau was supposed to bring to the table. Sadly we know how that turned out. Hopefully we'll find another solid defensive assistant.

8. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

New updates on the Navarro situation:

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">July 19, 2007 - 12:38 pm
    Sun-Sentinel -
    A Spanish Web site said Pat Riley was to meet with guard Juan Carlos Navarro at Barcelona before continuing to Africa on vacation.

The Wizards are expected to trade Navarro, their second-round draft pick in 2002, after re-signing guard DeShawn Stevenson and The Washington Post reported Memphis and Cleveland have inquired about Navarro, who plays on the national team with Memphis All-Star forward Pau Gasol.</div>

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/472...s_with_navarro/

The Heat have clearly pulled away as the team Navarro is most likely going to get traded to. The Grizzlies seem to have died out of all Navarro discussion since Gasol requested to Jerry West that JCN come to Memphis. I find it interesting that the Heat want to pursue Navarro over Francis however.

9. og15

og15 JBB *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Remember that in a deal, the Wizards would likely be giving up Etan Thomas's big contract. As long as Posey's contract is reasonable, I think our cap situation for re-signing Arenas and keeping away from the Luxury tax should be fine.</div>
    Oh I know, but I'm with the idea of clearing Etan's salary and getting either a much smaller salary back or an expiring contract. Posey wants the MLE of more, that's not a much smaller salary.

I found this funny:
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Heat is aggressively searching for depth at point guard. Its lone experienced player at the position is incumbent starter Jason Williams, 31, who has missed at least 20 games each of the past two seasons because of injuries and is entering the last year of his contract.

The Wizards reportedly had been holding out for a team that also would take on one of the bloated contracts belonging to center Brendan Haywood (three years/$16.5 million), guard Antonio Daniels (three/$18.6 million) or forward Etan Thomas (three/$20.6 million).</div>
    http://www.miamiherald.com/594/story/175174.html

The Wizards have NO problem with Haywood's deal which for those 3 years is an average of $5.5 million a year. He's the biggest defensive impact player on the team, and is a bargain for a starting caliber C in this league. If the Wizards only have a smarter/different coach, Haywood would do a lot better. Washington definately isn't looking to get rid of his contract, and Daniels won't be traded if Navarro is going too, the Wizards would have no backup PG. That is unless Miami was sending back Jason Williams in the deal, and I guess it could work for them since they'd be getting back Antonio Daniels, and a small guard in Navarro.

10. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

<div class="quote_poster">og15 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">
    The Wizards have NO problem with Haywood's deal which for those 3 years is an average of $5.5 million a year. He's the biggest defensive impact player on the team, and is a bargain for a starting caliber C in this league. If the Wizards only have a smarter/different coach, Haywood would do a lot better. Washington definately isn't looking to get rid of his contract, and Daniels won't be traded if Navarro is going too, the Wizards would have no backup PG. That is unless Miami was sending back Jason Williams in the deal, and I guess it could work for them since they'd be getting back Antonio Daniels, and a small guard in Navarro.</div>

I agree that Haywood's deal is very attractive for a defensive minded 7 footer like Brendan. It does seem as though Jason Williams will be heading to Washington in a deal. However, just Jason Williams for Navarro and Daniels seems like we're giving up a bit much. I'm hearing that the Heat are willing to give up a first round draft pick. Hopefully we can squeeze it out of them. [​IMG]

11. og15

og15 JBB *********

Oh no, I didn't mean the Wizards should make that trade, I just meant if they were to make it, a PG would have to come back. The only reason I like the Jason Williams deal is that it would give the Wizards an instant $6.2 million savings in 2008 summer with Daniels contract gone.

Now, the thing with Daniels, also like Haywood is that the Wizards are not sad with his contract and like him. He's also not a bloated contract like being reported, and the Wizards will not trade him unless they're getting value back. He's a very nice veteran PG who is durable, knows the system, and is very efficient in every area (low turnovers, scoring efficiency, hitting his FT's, doesn't give up too much on defense, runs the offense well).

Etan is the only player Washington would trade and be fine with not getting salary back in an attempt to cut costs. He does have his trade kicker though which would at about $1 million to his salary for the team getting him.

The deal I would love the most would be Etan Thomas, Navarro for Jason Williams and a first round pick, but Miami wouldn't do that, they want to have the extra PG, not trade one to get one. If the Wizards were to trade Daniels and Navarro, I wouldn't be happy with Williams and a first round pick. I like the cap implications, and the pick, but even then, the pick is low coming from Miami who should be better this year when Wade get's back. Williams doesn't know the system, isn't as good defensively, and doesn't have the durability of Daniels. When healthy he can ball, but Daniels is a good fit on the Wiz, and a very healthy guy.

12. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

<div class="quote_poster">og15 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">
    The deal I would love the most would be Etan Thomas, Navarro for Jason Williams and a first round pick, but Miami wouldn't do that, they want to have the extra PG, not trade one to get one. If the Wizards were to trade Daniels and Navarro, I wouldn't be happy with Williams and a first round pick. I like the cap implications, and the pick, but even then, the pick is low coming from Miami who should be better this year when Wade get's back. Williams doesn't know the system, isn't as good defensively, and doesn't have the durability of Daniels. When healthy he can ball, but Daniels is a good fit on the Wiz, and a very healthy guy.</div>

I believe along with being very active in trade talks about Navarro, the Heat still have a big prescence in free agency. So I wouldn't be surprised, if along with the Navarro deal, the Heat do in fact sign another guards.

We might be able to get Jason Williams and a first rounder with our beloved cap-space, without giving up Antonio Daniels. However, just giving up Etan Thomas in the pacakge with Navarro will likely not satisfy the Heat.

There are few clear rumors as to what is really going on in this Navarro situation. Most rumors are very un-detailed and not suprising.

13. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

Latest report says that Miami's interested in Rafer Alston, where would that leave Navarro? I doubt they'd be looking to trade for both guys, so best case scenario for the Wizards looks to be over in Memphis where Pau Gasol would die for him.

14. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Will637 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Latest report says that Miami's interested in Rafer Alston, where would that leave Navarro? I doubt they'd be looking to trade for both guys, so best case scenario for the Wizards looks to be over in Memphis where Pau Gasol would die for him.</div>

With Memphis drafting Mike Conley Jr., I don't see them pursuing Navarro for anything worth while.

How about the Golden State Warriors? They have trade exception from the JRich deal, and they are in need of a big body down low, along with a backup for Navarro. The Warriors also have Sarunas expiring K ($4M) if necessary.

15. og15

og15 JBB *********

Navarro isn't really a PG though, he's just a guard, and really more of a SG so they could use him as a backup SG behind Mike Miller. Doesn't do much for them defensively at SG, but Pau Pau is happy.

16. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

I think Miami's destination maybe over with them signing Smush Parker, but I'd rather have a point guard hurting them rather than acquiring an undersized 2 guard who's got a bigger potential than he does.

Where does that leave us though? The only team that has been open about chasing Navarro besides Miami are the Grizzlies and the 6 other teams reported to have interest in this guy hasn't spoken up yet. Time is ticking and it wouldn't be fair to see this guy being locked up in Barcelona, when we can trade him for a future first rounder.

17. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

<div class="quote_poster">Will637 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I think Miami's destination maybe over with them signing Smush Parker, but I'd rather have a point guard hurting them rather than acquiring an undersized 2 guard who's got a bigger potential than he does.

Where does that leave us though? The only team that has been open about chasing Navarro besides Miami are the Grizzlies and the 6 other teams reported to have interest in this guy hasn't spoken up yet. Time is ticking and it wouldn't be fair to see this guy being locked up in Barcelona, when we can trade him for a future first rounder.</div>

I'm sure the Heat offer will stay on the table until August 3rd. It's pretty obvious that Smush Parker isn't the permanent solution to their backup PG problems while JCN could potentially be a gem. If we don't like any offer given by Memphis or any of the ohter teams, the Wizards can just accept the first rounder for Navarro.

18. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

<div class="quote_poster">GArenas Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I'm sure the Heat offer will stay on the table until August 3rd. It's pretty obvious that Smush Parker isn't the permanent solution to their backup PG problems while JCN could potentially be a gem. If we don't like any offer given by Memphis or any of the ohter teams, the Wizards can just accept the first rounder for Navarro.</div>

Well, it's reported that the Lakers are interested in Navarro and I'd really like to see what other teams have to offer for Navarro. But, do you think Miami is willing to aim for Navarro still now they have 4 point guards on the roster? I don't see why they wouldn't give Chris Quinn or Daequan Cook a shot here.

19. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

<div class="quote_poster">Will637 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Well, it's reported that the Lakers are interested in Navarro and I'd really like to see what other teams have to offer for Navarro.</div>

I'm interested to see what the Lakers have to offer, after all, we did get an awesome deal from them for giving them Kwame Brown.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">But, do you think Miami is willing to aim for Navarro still now they have 4 point guards on the roster? I don't see why they wouldn't give Chris Quinn or Daequan Cook a shot here.</div>

Daequan Cook will mainly just be backing up Wade when he needs a rest his rookie year. Gary Payton is aging so his minutes will go down, Chris Quinn hasn't really shown alot in the few minutes he's gotten, and I seriousely hope the Heat aren't serious about giving Smush Parker real reserve minutes. I think they'll leave the offer on the table as they're only giving up a pick in the 20's.

20. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

<div class="quote_poster">GArenas Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Daequan Cook will mainly just be backing up Wade when he needs a rest his rookie year. Gary Payton is aging so his minutes will go down, Chris Quinn hasn't really shown alot in the few minutes he's gotten, and I seriousely hope the Heat aren't serious about giving Smush Parker real reserve minutes. I think they'll leave the offer on the table as they're only giving up a pick in the 20's.</div>

Well actually Gary Payton's retiring, but you're right about Daequan Cook. I think Miami's gonna give Chris Quinn another year. He's a hard worker, very determined just like that game against the Suns where he blew up in the 4th quarter. Don't forget that they still have Jason Williams who handled 28 minutes this past season.

Do you really think it's wise to send Navarro to a division rival, which can only help Miami for the moment? Every game will be tense in the Southeast when you have every team there improved in the offseason (exception of Heat of course). Hopefully the Lakers or the Grizzlies will offer one of their first rounders.