Iverson Wants Out.

Discussion in 'Philadelphia 76ers' started by MaxBallin, Feb 15, 2005.

1. MaxBallin

MaxBallin JBB JustBBall Member

Credit HoopsHype.com with this one:
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Specifically, Allen Iverson wants out of Philadelphia. Unless the Sixers get a credible team on the floor. Preferably now! Several sources confirmed yesterday that Iverson's agent, Leon Rose, met with Sixers president and general manager Billy King on Friday. Iverson, although happy with some parts of the team, is far from excited about the roster presently assembled. He isn't happy about being part of a rebuilding project in his ninth season in the league.</div>
    Click here for the full article.

I don't know what to say. There are many appealing options out there for us in terms of trading the little guy. The only possible scenarios that I see as semi-appealing would be sending Iverson and Thomas to New Orleans for Davis and Magloire or sending Iverson and one of our young guys, such as Salmons, to Minnesota for Garnett.

Personally, I think we should try to weasel our way into getting a young big man who's already achieved star status. Enter Chris Bosh. I'm not sure what it would take, but I think he'd be a great pickup for us. If we could hold on to Dalembert, Korver, and Green, and also pick up Bosh, our team would having one hell of a nucleus to build upon. [This may seem crazy, but I'm sure for the right price Toronto would give him up. Perhaps agreeing to take Jalen Rose?]

Respond and let me know what you think.

2. N4S

N4S BBW Member

I'd take Garnett in a heart beat for AI.

3. Smoke

Smoke JBB JustBBall Member

the sixers play very well without a.i. I just would not trade away k.g if there was any way that i could get a.i along on the same team with k.g.

Though as for k.g a new begining with the sixers might be good. they seem to have a good nucleus there that is missing a post presence. With the draft coming up and glenn coming off the books that could help them as well.

But as for a.i i think he would be getting the bad side of this trade. Unless casell and spree can step ther game back up to prove me wrong. I dont think minny is at all the team a.i. would want to be on unless k.g. was there.

4. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

They would never take Iverson for Garnett. I am baffled why he would want out. They just finished beating a great championship contending team in NY [​IMG]. But in the real, things are looking good for them. They are #3 in the east, they have Korver, Iguodala, and some nice young players to compliment him. I do understand he might not want a Karl Malone path?a great player, no ring. These days players feel a ring decides a great career or not. I actually think Philadelphia is a decent team but, Iverson wants championship. If I had to sign with a team in contention to get a ring, it wouldn?t feel right to me. It?s kind of like what happened with Malone going to the Lakers. He had to sign with a whole different team and couldn?t lead the Jazz to the championship. To this day, Malone looks weird wearing a Lakers jersey. Good thing he didn?t sign with San Antonio. Anyway in my opinion, I think the right thing is to remain in Philadelphia. A ring might be meaningful however, it will be much more had he done it in Philadelphia where you grew up around. Besides, it wont seem right seeing Allen Iverson in a different jersey unless it?s Team USA, or an All-Star jersey!

5. bronbron23

bronbron23 JBB JustBBall Member

I agree with getting bosh over to philly he'd be a great addition to the team. Though I can't really see iverson leaving philly it wouldn't be right. I'll be dissapointed if he leaves.

6. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MaxBallin:</div><div class="quote_post">Personally, I think we should try to weasel our way into getting a young big man who's already achieved star status. Enter Chris Bosh. I'm not sure what it would take, but I think he'd be a great pickup for us. If we could hold on to Dalembert, Korver, and Green, and also pick up Bosh, our team would having one hell of a nucleus to build upon. [This may seem crazy, but I'm sure for the right price Toronto would give him up. Perhaps agreeing to take Jalen Rose?]

Respond and let me know what you think.</div>
    Iverson wants a contender and Toronto is no different from Philadelphia. Actually it's worse. Rose and Iverson shooting 30 shots a game? That doesn't seem like a good idea unless you guys are looking to acquire Rose which I doubt you are. Maybe Iverson for some young players and a draft pick. Maybe Odom and Butler or something. I don't know, just an idea.

7. Nasty

Nasty JBB Sorry, I killed Fever

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MaxBallin:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Personally, I think we should try to weasel our way into getting a young big man who's already achieved star status. Enter Chris Bosh. I'm not sure what it would take, but I think he'd be a great pickup for us. If we could hold on to Dalembert, Korver, and Green, and also pick up Bosh, our team would having one hell of a nucleus to build upon. [This may seem crazy, but I'm sure for the right price Toronto would give him up. Perhaps agreeing to take Jalen Rose?]
    </div>
    Most Raptor fans, my self included, would not give up Bosh straight up for Iverson under the current conditions (doesn't work cap wise).
    As I explained in a previous post, AI has 5 years left and eats up a huge chunk of the cap.
    Raps are not a possible trade partner for Philly if they decide to move AI unless they'd accept Jalen, Marshall, and one of the other cats (Sow and Bosh execluded).

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting mrj18:</div><div class="quote_post"> Rose and Iverson shooting 30 shots a game? That doesn't seem like a good idea unless you guys are looking to acquire Rose which I doubt you are. Maybe Iverson for some young players and a draft pick. Maybe Odom and Butler or something. I don't know, just an idea.</div>

If you think Rose and Iverson wouldn't work because they demand so many shots, what made you think Kobe and Iverson would? [​IMG]

8. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

^Just because they are two superstars.

9. Nasty

Nasty JBB Sorry, I killed Fever

10. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

I think two superstars seeking the same thing will be able to coexist together. This will also give Kobe another reliable option to pass to. Teams wont know which one to focus on. They will also have some role players as well so I think that could work out fine.

11. jbbCourtVision

jbbCourtVision JBB JustBBall Member

I don't think Toronto would be willing to part with Bosh, even for a bonafied superstar such as Iverson. Why would Philly trade him to Toronto in the first place? Our situation is much worse than theirs is right now and the main thing is that Iverson wants to win now.

I do not see much viable options for Philly to move Iverson. If he wants to win more than he would want to be traded to a team like Sacramento, Detroit, Phoenix etc...I don't think any of these teams would sacrifice their chemistry to add a player like Iverson.

12. MaxBallin

MaxBallin JBB JustBBall Member

Just because Iverson wants to go to a contendor doesn't necessarily mean that we'll send him to one. I think that Bosh would be an ideal pick-up for us. Imagine this starting line-up:

Center: Samuel Dalembert
    Power Forward: Chris Bosh
    Small Forward: Andre Iguodala
    Shooting Guard: Willie Green
    Point Guard: Draft Pick or Free Agent Signing
    Sixth Man: Kyle Korver

They would grow to be great. That draft pick could possibly be filled by someone like Jarrett Jack or Raymond Felton. On the other front, possible free agents to sign would be Marko Jaric or Mike James.

The approach that I'm suggesting would obviousely be centered around rebuilding. Generally, this is an aggravating process, but the suggested line-up would provide such hope that I believe the city of Philadelphia would be able to endure it.

13. jbbCourtVision

jbbCourtVision JBB JustBBall Member

^And just because Iverson is a star in the NBA does not mean that the Raptors would actually trade Bosh for him. Not like the trade is lopsided by any means but who in their right minds would trade a 20 year old budding star in the league for a injury prone 30 year old star? It wouldn't make sense.

It's not like the Raptors are in any rush to win games right now. We are actually trying to build our team AROUND Bosh. Trading for Iverson is not an option. Good try though.

14. Dizzyfool

Dizzyfool JBB JustBBall Member

Rubbish, Iverson wouldn't want to leave philly.

15. Avery

Avery JBB IDIOT!! GOSH!!!

Bad news, very bad news. First and foremost, this information should have not been leaked out to the public. All this will do is cause distractions both on and off the court. This will put Iverson back in the spotlight, and while he usually does well while being in the spotlight, he's has done relatively better being under the radar. And if Iverson so happens to get in the spotlight so will the whole team, and that's something our key players (young players) may not be able to handle as well. Also, how will this affect his teammates on the court? How would you play knowing that your star player may potentially want you off the team? So again, this was supposed to be left confidential and simply in the board room, not being discussed by random people or us on a message board. But since we know what's going on...

Iverson does indeed need help. I have so much confidence in this team, and no matter how ridiculous this sounds, I actually have high expectations in this team and by that I mean potentially winning the championship. (Hey, you can hurt me for having faith in my team.) But the fact and the matter is when you look at their circumstances in actuality they have a very, very slim chance at being champions. They need a legitimate second scoring option and a little more experience. I for one would rather see one of our young players go rather than Iverson. Iverson has done too much for this team and not to get what he wants, so if that means we have to sacrifice either Green, Salmons or even Dalemebert then so be it. Yes, I know this sounds real drastic but this is a drastic situation, and drastic measures have to be taken. All I hope for right now is that we do NOT acquire Sprewell. I honestly think he would just make us worse.

And with this sudden news, there will be a lot of pressure on Billy King to make a move by the deadline. And if he doesn't he may have the Iverson of old on his hand. And we know the type of person Iverson can be, if he doesn't get what he wants. So all I'm saying something MUST be done by the deadline or else we will have some major problems within the organization. Not to mention, I understand what Iverson is saying and it's an arguable situation on whether it's a good thing that he spoke up or not, but his other problem with the organization is uncalled for. Yes, he has some bad blood with Chris Ford, but that gives him no reason to pout about him being the organization. Ford is not giving him any orders, and he should just leave it at that. Ford is not going to do anything for him and he's not going to do anything for Ford. So I don't see why he's so upset with Ford being affiliated with the organization.

--

? And on a side note? During the Knicks game, it was said that Glenn Robinson could be in uniform as soon as next week.

16. B.e.

B.e. The One Who Score Touchdowns and Spikes Mics

I don't think AI really wants out. Just look at what all the things he said about this team and season. Allen knows the Sixers are at best mediocre but they are getting better and he has said that himself.

Unless AI comes foward and says, I want out..all these articles mean nothing to me.

17. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Hard to believe Iverson wanting out of Philly. The team is still capable of making the playoffs and in the East, any team can get hot and make it to the finals. I doubt the 76ers would trade Iverson anyways. They won't get equal value for him, and will likely have to take back an overpriced player because of Iverson's salary. There's no chance the 76ers deal him to any team in the East. The last thing they want is having to face AI 4 times a season. Out West, the only team in contention with a lot of tradeable players is Dallas. I thought up this trade and checked it on RealGm.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Philadelphia trades: PG Allen Iverson (29.9 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 7.7 apg in 42.1 minutes)
    Glenn Robinson (No games yet played in 2004/05)
    Philadelphia receives: SG Michael Finley (17.4 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 2.7 apg in 38.8 minutes)
    PG Jason Terry (11.6 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 5.0 apg in 29.1 minutes)
    PG Devin Harris (5.6 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 2.2 apg in 15.3 minutes)
    SF Josh Howard (11.7 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 1.4 apg in 32.6 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: +16.4 ppg, +10.2 rpg, and +3.6 apg.

Dallas trades: SG Michael Finley (17.4 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 2.7 apg in 38.8 minutes)
    PG Jason Terry (11.6 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 5.0 apg in 29.1 minutes)
    PG Devin Harris (5.6 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 2.2 apg in 15.3 minutes)
    SF Josh Howard (11.7 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 1.4 apg in 32.6 minutes)
    Dallas receives: PG Allen Iverson (29.9 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 7.7 apg in 42.1 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: -16.4 ppg, -10.2 rpg, and -3.6 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED</div>

This gives the Mavericks a 1-2 punch of Dirk and Iverson. It also gives Marquis Daniels more PT and less pressure to score in the back court. They also get to unload Michael Finley's contract and get the expiring contract of Glenn Robinson to help reduce the luxury tax the team will likely have to pay.

The 76ers lose their superstar, but they get some nice young players to re-build with. Devin Harris will be a great PG in the league, and he can develop behind Jason Terry. Josh Howard gives the 76ers a young forward and basically replaces Glenn Robinson. Michael Finley still has game, and would likely become the 1st option for the 76ers.
    The 76ers would likely try and deal Finley in the off-season.

PG - Terry / Green / Harris
    SG - Finley / Iguodala / McKie
    SF - Korver / Howard
    PF - Williamson / Thomas
    C - Dalembert / Jackson

PG - Iverson / Armstrong
    SG - Daniels / Abdul Wahad
    SF - Stackhouse / Big Dog
    PF - Nowitzki / Henderson
    C - Dampier / Bradley / Booth

Mark Cuban would be crazy enough to pull the trigger, would Billy King?

18. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

Iverson won't be going anywhere. This is obviously out of frustration. The Sixers are capable of making the playoffs, will they get anywhere? More than likely not, but with a couple of right moves they can be right back atop the East next year.

19. spinz

spinz JBB JustBBall Member

if this is true and iverson does want out, at least he's still being professional about it and playing like a true superstar...

but as a toronto fan, bosh is our cornerstone right now, with saying that, of course i would want to have an iverson play for us, but it may hurt the development of bosh (assuming he is excluded from any trade possiblilies for iverson)...

but more realistically (obviously if the numbers work), trade iverson for crawford...that way isiah gets the shake up he needs in NY, and phili will still have a ball hog (oops i mean scorer)...

20. WhiteManCanJump

WhiteManCanJump Member

If the mavericks did that trade, which they would TOTALLY be getting robbed with, i would seriously stop supporting them. I could see a trade to portland with iverson and abdur-raheem being the center pieces.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post"> Philadelphia trades: PG Allen Iverson (29.9 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 7.7 apg in 42.1 minutes)
    Philadelphia receives: PF Shareef Abdur-Rahim (15.7 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 1.3 apg in 35.2 minutes)
    PG Nick Van Exel (11.1 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 4.2 apg in 30.2 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: -3.1 ppg, +6.9 rpg, and -2.2 apg.

Portland trades: PF Shareef Abdur-Rahim (15.7 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 1.3 apg in 35.2 minutes)
    PG Nick Van Exel (11.1 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 4.2 apg in 30.2 minutes)
    Portland receives: PG Allen Iverson (29.9 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 7.7 apg in 42.1 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: +3.1 ppg, -6.9 rpg, and +2.2 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

</div>

OR working with the knicks...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post"> Philadelphia trades: PF Kenny Thomas (11.3 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 1.6 apg in 28.6 minutes)
    PG Allen Iverson (29.9 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 7.7 apg in 42.1 minutes)
    PF Brian Skinner (2.0 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 0.2 apg in 10.3 minutes)
    Philadelphia receives: SG Jamal Crawford (18.3 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 3.6 apg in 36.3 minutes)
    C Kurt Thomas (11.4 ppg, 10.0 rpg, 2.0 apg in 36.6 minutes)
    SF Tim Thomas (10.2 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 1.3 apg in 26.4 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: -3.3 ppg, +2.8 rpg, and -2.6 apg.

New York trades: SG Jamal Crawford (18.3 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 3.6 apg in 36.3 minutes)
    C Kurt Thomas (11.4 ppg, 10.0 rpg, 2.0 apg in 36.6 minutes)
    SF Tim Thomas (10.2 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 1.3 apg in 26.4 minutes)
    New York receives: PF Kenny Thomas (11.3 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 1.6 apg in 28.6 minutes)
    PG Allen Iverson (29.9 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 7.7 apg in 42.1 minutes)
    PF Brian Skinner (2.0 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 0.2 apg in 10.3 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: +3.3 ppg, -2.8 rpg, and +2.6 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED
    </div>

theres my 2 cents