Knee Surgeries Couldn't Save Brandon's Career

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Shapecity, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Though he never played a game in a Portland uniform during his 11-year NBA career, Terrell Brandon is a Trail Blazer fan through and through. The two-time All-Star point guard lives in Northeast Portland, runs his barber shop and retail business there, and pulls for his hometown team.</p><p class="body_copy">That&rsquo;s why news of Greg Oden&rsquo;s microfracture surgery blew him away like a butterfly in a hurricane.</p> <p class="body_copy">&ldquo;We&rsquo;ve been looking forward to having a dominant center for a long time,&rdquo; Brandon says. &ldquo;We finally got him, and now we have to wait. The anticipation of what&rsquo;s ahead is hard, really hard. We want to win right now.&rdquo;</p> <p class="body_copy">Few understand what Oden is going through better than Brandon, whose illustrious career was cut short at age 31 by a knee injury. The 5-11 former Grant High and University of Oregon standout underwent three surgeries to his left knee while with the Minnesota Timberwolves &ndash; the last two microfracture operations.</p> <p class="body_copy">Brandon was at the height of his career in 1999 when he suffered his first injury to the knee. He tried to come back after six weeks.</p> <p class="body_copy">&ldquo;I was pushing to get back,&rdquo; Brandon recalls. &ldquo;The team needed me. You try to play through it, but it&rsquo;s just not the same.&rdquo;</p> <p class="body_copy">After an offseason of rehabilitation, Brandon followed with two solid seasons, averaging 17.1 points and 8.9 assists in 1999-2000, and 16.0 points and 7.5 assists in 2000-01. By the next season, though, Brandon could feel the leg wasn&rsquo;t right. Still, he tried to play.</p> <p class="body_copy">Finally, he was out on a fast break in the first half of a game against San Antonio when his knee buckled and he almost blew a wide-open layup.</p> <p class="body_copy">&ldquo;At halftime, (coach) Flip Saunders told me, &lsquo;That&rsquo;s it,&rsquo; &rdquo; Brandon says.</p> <p class="body_copy">Brandon never played another NBA game.</p> <p class="body_copy">He underwent his first microfracture surgery in early 2002.</p> <p class="body_copy">&ldquo;I&rsquo;d never heard of it,&rdquo; he says. &ldquo;I had to ask 100 questions. The one thing that was mentioned was that it was really for older people. That concerned me, of course. But after doing research, I learned it was a pretty good procedure.&rdquo;</p> <p class="body_copy">Brandon rehabbed and tried to prepare for the 2002-03 season.</p> <p class="body_copy">&ldquo;That&rsquo;s when doctors looked at my X-rays and told me, &lsquo;You&rsquo;re not getting any better,&rsquo; &rdquo; he says. &ldquo;They said it needed time off to heal naturally, which is the worst thing you can tell a pro athlete. I was in denial.&rdquo;</p> <p class="body_copy">Within a year, Brandon was back on the operating table, this time in Vail, Colo., under the direction of Dr. Richard Steadman, the pioneer of the microfracture surgery.</p> <p class="body_copy">&ldquo;Most people don&rsquo;t even know I had the third surgery,&rdquo; Brandon says. &ldquo;It was successful &ndash; it&rsquo;s why I can walk around like I can today, without a limp. But as far as playing pro basketball? (Steadman) told me, &lsquo;You&rsquo;re never going to be like that again.&rsquo; &rdquo;</div></p><p class="body_copy">Source: Portland Tribune</p>

</p>