Mayo/Lee Trade Talk

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by MikeDC, Feb 16, 2011.

1. MikeDC

MikeDC Member

Professor
    Punchline is it's Mayo and Lee for each other that's being hypothesized.

It's indicated as pretty idle talk, but I think it's kinda funny given the discussion here.

2. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Gee this Lee fellow must be pretty good eh?

3. such sweet thunder

such sweet thunder Member Staff Member Moderator

What a strange trade idea and even wierder characterization. Mayo is as a traditionally a two-guard as they come. He's the right size, has shot well from range up until this season, can drive to the hoop and draw a foul, and has the physical tools to guard any two guard if motivated. Lee is the incomplete one. I'm not arguing trade value, only that characterizing Lee as a more traditional two guard is bizarre.

4. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Lee's not going to command a $10M annual salary. That's my take.

5. MikeDC

MikeDC Member

Professor
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AjgYBGgFslm8Tka9Z2gY2Aq8vLYF?slug=ap-grizzlies-gay
    Rudy Gay is out for a month

If the Griz want to keep their playoff hopes alive, they’re definitely going to need to keep Mayo so they’ve got someone who can create a shot on the wings. It probably works out best for them… they keep him, let him score a ton and build back some value while Gay is out, and then can look to move him this summer.

But I think any chance there was that he'd be traded before the deadline just evaporated.

6. JayJohnstone

JayJohnstone Active Member

Good point, Mike!

p.s. How much value can Griz think OJ has if the team plays better giving his minutes to Sam Young and Tony Allen?

7. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

I wouldn't give up on Mayo, especially for Lee.

OJ Mayo is gonna be a stud in this league, I hope he does get traded so he can strive somewhere else.

8. transplant

transplant Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Question. The report says that the Grizz essentially want to trade Mayo for a "more traditional SG." Whaddya suppose this means? Looking at Mayo's game, I can only guess that traditional means lower-usage/less-shootey.

9. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

I feel OJ Mayo could be an Monta Ellis 2.0, he just needs the chance. However, Mayo could be more explosive as he has a lot less injuries.

10. rosenthall

rosenthall Well-Known Member

I would guess they want someone bigger too.

I think in the end Mayo will go for more than what fans are hoping to get him for. No fire sale. Everyone agrees that he's young and talented, and capable of doing a lot more than what he's shown this season. And since he's on a rookie contract, a lot of teams will be willing to put up offers for him.

11. MikeDC

MikeDC Member

Professor
    I think of a traditional SG as a guy like Ray Allen or Reggie Miller. A younger version might be Kevin Martin or, less talented, Courttney Lee or Raja Bell. The bbetter version of this type of guy still scores a lot and toucches thee ball a lot, bbut their main meanns of doing so iis by sshoootingg from distance, and generallly pllaying off the ball untill thhey gett it aand llaunch up a quick shot. They're smaller, quicker players whoo have qquick reeleaases.

Mayo seeems llike a guy who can create shots in a wwider variiety of ways, but generrally does it wiith the balll in his hands. Hee can drive, pulll uup, dunkk, andd shoot from distance, but he will use more possessions and take more shots. MJ wwould thee the archetype guy here, but perimeter players like Wade, Melo, and Piercee are fundamentaally similar and also vvery talented. a guy likke Corey Maggette or Mayo might be a lesss taalented version.

I'd also sayy there's aa third type of guy, who is an effective guy to play through, but ends upp not uusing huge amounts of possessions himself. Scottie Pippen or Andre Iguodala fit this category tto me, but not thhe others. They're not pure shooters, and they''re not pure sccorerss who uuse a bunch of possessions, they're guys who can ppretty mucch fill aany role and pplay with anybody with talent.

If yyou take these types of guys as exxtremes, with most guys being somewhere between those extremes offensively, some combos work beetterr than others.

Two gguyss of a tyype, though, probably won''t mesh very wwell ttogetherr.

Annd yea, my keyboard is messed up.... sorry...

12. MikeDC

MikeDC Member

Professor
    For themselves, not thatt much. But tthat doessnn't mean he wouldn't be more valuaable in another situation. Building off my last post, I think you generally want to match up guys with cmplemmentaryy skills. A shoooter wiith a sccoreer or facilitator. Two guys who aree basiically the same type of player are usually not that good with eeach other. Gay and Mayyo, offensively, are close substitutes, just like Lee and Martin. But,, ssay, GGay Maarttin or Lee/Mayo, would be a better set of offfensive complements. I ddon'tt think Lee/Mayo orr Martiin/Mayo wwould work for defensive reasons, but in terms of pure offennsive sskilllssets, it seems reasonable.

13. transplant

Thank God! I thought it might be the onset of something really nasty.

And by the way, ggggoooddd rundown.

14. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
  15. bullshooter

bullshooter Active Member

If Melo finally gets traded, Afflalo might be a lot more reasonable to get. And he's basically the same player as Lee.

16. transplant

I like Afflalo and think he'd be a great fit on the Bulls. However, the whole Melo thing has shown Denver to be hard-bargainers. If they trade Melo, unless they get a stud 2-guard in return, I'm not seeing why they'd be all that reasonable about trading Afflalo.

17. MikeDC

MikeDC Member

Professor
    No, I haven't stroked out. At least not yet.

I agree that Afflalo will likely be expensive. I think when I made that Courtney Lee bandwagon post a while back, it devolved into a debate a bout Lee as a player, but that was only part of the issue. Another, very big part of the issue is who's actually available and for how much.

While Afflalo will be an FA, I'm quite skeptical of whether the Bulls would or should make a major $ commitment. Trading picks for a young, cheap player with upside doesn't foreclose the possibility of taking on a better, more expensive player down the road, but I think signing up another MLE level guy very well might. And/or cost us some of the backup young bigs we desperately don't want to trade.

18. Good Hope

Good Hope Active Member

Professor
    Mike, you bring up the biggest point in all of this, which is how important our backup bigs have been. They make our second team defense better than our first. And that's invaluable. Hard to justify giving that up for a modest increase in production at the two.

It's just too bad we can't see what the team would be like with Noah back before the trading deadline. But that's the way the cookie crumbles.

19. JayJohnstone

JayJohnstone Active Member

Well, we don't need any of those guys if Bogans is going to hit half of his shots.

20. transplant

He's crossed the 37% mark for the season on 3s by shooting 49% from the arc in his last 20 games. That's pretty damn stellar.

I know that most fans want to continue to bash Bogans, and Thibs for continuing to play Bogans 17-18 mpg. I was one of those fans, but my heart's not in it anymore. Bogans as SG 1b behind Brewer hasn't been hurting the team for a while now. If we can upgrade or add depth without giving up much, fine, but Brewer/Bogans as our 5th scoring option on the floor doesn't put me in an urgent mood.