Rangers waived Powe and Asham

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by dumpstralmannow, Jul 4, 2013.

1. dumpstralmannow

dumpstralmannow Active Member

Don't know how that works. If they are picked up, does the team picking them up have their salaries count against their cap?

2. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

Wow, that's aweso..I mean, sorry to hear for them(coughs)lol
    I bet AV wants to go after Raymond which would be great, and also integrate more young guys.

3. dumpstralmannow

Looked it up. There are few things that can happen. If they get claimed on re-entry waivers, the teams split the cap number. Oh well. I seriously doubt that Powe and Asham won't be picked up for some teams 4th line.

4. Ranger71

Yeah for less than 1m that's a good deal. I actually liked Powe, and Asham did score a few big goals this year. Maybe they look to deal Boyle for prospects and start going with Lindberg/Fast/FA/Dorsett. I like what he's doing already, it'll be interesting to see what they manuever in the next week.

5. theProdigy223

theProdigy223 Well-Known Member

This could be a pretty good find. Too bad that 31 already found out about it haha kidding buddy.

As for the waivers...would rather have seen Pyatt on waivers than Asham who I thought scored some quality goals and has a good shot. I guess with Dorset here now having another guy like Asham is a wasted roster spot and wasted money. Hope somebody claims them soon to take them off the books. And right dump, if they clear waivers then they'd have to be claimed on re-entry waivers and we'd split with the new team. Just like what we did with the Stars when we got Avery.

6. chuckd3534

chuckd3534 Well-Known Member

They can also send them down to the minors, which would save us about 1.8 mill combined. That would be huge. I believe you can bury a little over 900 K or so of a players salary in the minors. The rest stays with the big club.

7. dumpstralmannow

I like Powe also. However, the reality is that they want Miller, Kreider, Fast and Lindberg to make this team soon. So, there had to be some guys who were not brought back on the big team.

8. sorr

sorr Member

Powe was good on the PK but that was about it. I think the hope was he would replace Prust in a lot of ways, but that didn't happen. Not even close.

9. Ranger71

Chuck,did you like my last Boyle reference on ESPN..."super slug"

10. jamsim67

jamsim67 Active Member

I like Asham and am sorry to see him go. He brought a certain toughness to this team that was sorely lacking. Plus, he scored some big goals. Powe never really got a chance, and unfortunately is caught up in a numbers game. If the Rangers can become a better team, then great ...

11. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

Hopefully asham if he goes coincides with the undertaker being a part of the team so the cheap shot nonsense against us and hank in the crease starts to come to a grinding halt. We've gotta be able to better than piatt I hope also