Game Thread 2023-24 Game #26 - BLAZERS VS SUNS - DECEMBER 19, 2023 - TUESDAY - 7:00 PM PST - ROOT

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Chris Craig, Dec 16, 2023.

1. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Not like he has a lot of options.

Who are yo ugoing to start over the four guys I mentioned?

blazerkor likes this.
  2. Travis Demers

Travis Demers Well-Known Member

i neither confirm nor deny!!!

THE HCP, Whyachi, Eastoff and 4 others like this.
  3. blazerfan11

blazerfan11 Well-Known Member

Scoot.

Playing with the starters means there's no pressure for Scoot to score, or I should say, he won't be thought of his talents going to waste if he's not looking to score (unlike Sharpe).

Sharpe will probably do better with either Grant or Simons not on the court with him.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2023
    robson likes this.
  4. AmirIcon

AmirIcon Well-Known Member

Writer, Director, Actor
    If they're going to play Ant with Scoot, they should absolutely not have Scoot playing off the ball. Those are for shooters. And he's a point guard. That's why it should be Ant playing off the ball. As good as he is getting his shot, he's even better as a catch and shoot guy.

5. inconceivable

inconceivable Well-Known Member

Travelling, did not see the game. Saw Sharpe had low minutes and no points. Did he get injured?

6. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

He has been injured and he aggravated it.

7. blazerfan11

@Travis Demers commented on this during the radio broadcast of the game.

Rip-through movements, which are when an offensive player initiates contact with a defender's arm but moves the ball away from the hoop (perhaps most famously employed by Kevin Durant), will be considered a non-basketball move and result in a no-call this season.Oct 23, 2023

upload_2023-12-20_0-36-42.png

TBpup, Whyachi, Cugel and 3 others like this.
  8. blazerfan11

Simons was 2-7 on threes, and both of his makes were assisted.
    One was on a really nice pass from Ayton in the lane to an open Simons in the corner.
    The other was on a pass from Scoot Henderson from the center of the 3-point line to the left side.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2023
    UKRAINEFAN and BlazerBeav like this.
  9. inconceivable

inconceivable Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info

Thumb was the one I'm aware of, he had a multi game slump followed by multi game MIP play. . Hope he gets better soon. I have highlights to watch

10. BankTeller

BankTeller Well-Known Member

Start Scoot at PG and Ant at SG

Let Scoot see if he can set the pace early. This is how we know if he’s improved these past two months. Will he get into the paint as easily? Let Scoot run point, he might actually be good enough to actually use Ant and Grant’s volume shooting from 3 and DA being semi-automatic to his advantage. If Scoot gets two quick ones, enter Brogdon.

Brogdon enters at SG, Ant to PG
    Ant/Brogdon/Thybulle/Walker/DA
    Ant/Brogdon/Camara/Walker/DA
    Ant/Brogdon/Grant/Walker/DA
    Ant/Brogdon/Camara/Walker/Reath

Interested in any of these lineups. On a day where Walker or Camara is on and has a 3/4 or 3/5 from 3 game, the spacing would be amazing for Ant to operate in.

AmirIcon and blazerfan11 like this.
  11. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

While he might not necessarily be the "best", what Thybulle has been is our most consistent 3-point threat. Nearly 80% of all his shots are 3's, and every single one he's made this season has been assisted. He's not dribbling and stepping into them, they're not coming in iso situations; all are within the flow of the offense. It clearly has been pre-determined--whether by him, Billups, or otherwise, that that is his role on offense. And when you basically only have one job, it's a lot easier to do that job well.

So no, I don't necessarily think that if the Blazers' guards had a series of 3-point shootouts that Thybulle would win a preponderance of them. But I do think that if the players continue to play the roles they've been given, that he will finish the season with the highest 3P% on the team.

blazerfan11 and kjironman1 like this.
  12. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

So his shots didn't fall and yes he lost a few of the bounce passes but that Ayton is what this team needs to have. If he continues to play like that he will have some monster games. Could have very easily put up 25-15 in that game.

PCmor7 and Tince like this.
  13. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Don't really want to get into a contract conversation or a conversation about trading personnel.

I just feel it would have been nice to have Jrue Holiday mentoring Scoot. Just one season with that guy would have done wonders.

handiman likes this.
  14. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I agree.....but I didn't have a problem with it last night. I want the ball in Ant or Brogdon's hands as the shot clock dwindles. I think Chauncey wanted him in there with the other 4 in case Phoenix decided to trap our guards while being down 10. Most other teams do it to us, and it generally works, So having Scoot playing late in the 4th with Sharpe injured, even if he just stood in the corner on offense, gave them that 3rd ball handler.....much better than either Camara or Thybulle.

15. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

IMO, these are the situations that we need Scoot to be experiencing in this development season.

Strenuus likes this.
  16. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Which part? I think his being in the game at that point does give him experience. Having him run the offense in crunch time can wait a couple of months. They needed a win last night. Constant losing takes a toll on everyone.

17. Cugel

Cugel The epitome of mediocrity

Canvas Repairman
    For this year: I think it's better to have Scoot out there in a close game against superstars and lose, then have him on the bench and win. He has to have big game experience.

blazerkor and Natebishop3 like this.
  18. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Brogdon seems to play better when he is starting. He hasn't played well since he sent to the bench. He came off the bench in the first half and didn't do much. He started in place of Sharpe in the second half and played a lot better.

Ayton is far better when he attacks the hoop then when he settles for jumpers.

Sharpe can't seem to play well with both Grant and Simons back. He has all but disappeared. Not sure how much of that is injury. Simons and Grant are taking a lot of shots, which leaves little for Sharpe, who needs more shot attempts to be productive and to be confident. Not sure how this is remedied...trading Grant probably...for now playing Sharpe when Grant and Simons are on the bench...Sharpe is the future not Grant...not good to alienate him during hid development.

19. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    But does he get any experience when the other players know giving him the ball in those situations risks losing the game?

20. SharpeScooterShooter

SharpeScooterShooter SharpeShooter

Freeloader
    @THE HCP, I just want to reach out and say i'm thoroughly impressed with the improvements of the broadcasting over the last couple of games. I know my take means nothing to you, but it was obvious many here were not liking the Haberstat cutting into the games and the way it was done with the shrinking of the screen. I have not really seen that. Now he is down below next to the score, and personally, I think its perfect.

So I have no clue if you or others read anything on here, or not and took heed, but either way, I wanted to say thank you and good job on the improvements, if you had any hand in it. Great changes that make listening and glancing down at him at the bottom much more pleasurable, while maintaining all the corners of the TV for viewership to see the edges of the game. Fantastic improvements in that area.

Kudos sir.

SwissBlazer and PtldPlatypus like this.