Event 2024 Paris Summer Olympics!

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Jul 16, 2024.

1. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

Judging from the Opening Ceremony, Russia doesn't need to do anything. Just let France sabotage themselves. I'm with @kjironman1 , that was by far the worst OGOC I can remember. I knew a 4-hr boat ride(s) would be a really bad call, so I tuned in and out and maybe missed a few things here and there. But, what I did see (2-3 hrs worth) was so uniformly dull, all it did was prove that OC's should be held in stadiums and have rehearsals.

I mean, how many people would pay to watch that that bridge fashion show? How do you have a lighting of the torch that anticlimactic, with the Grim Reaper looking dude coming and going, and then literally going because the cauldron was located elsewhere after all that marginal build-up?

In the past, NBC has always been well prepped to talk about the artistic nuances of the show. They had virtually nothing to work with here, including where the torch was headed. Just a terrible job by France keeping everything needlessly hush hush. Although, based on the final product, maybe they were hoping that everyone simply wouldn't notice.

kjironman1 likes this.
  2. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

I thought the flying and fire was really cool but I was a little sad when the King got burned.

Oops, I just realized I was getting caught up on House of Dragons instead of watching the opening ceremonies. Sounds like I made the right choice.

Anyway... I now want a dragon.

Phatguysrule, kjironman1 and handiman like this.
  3. SlyPokerDog

Did Russia have anything to do with the train attack? Don't know. Are they trying to pull some shit during the Olympics? Yes.

Russian Chef Arrested in France for Olympic Espionage Plot After Drunken Revelations in Bulgaria

Russian chef Kirill Gryaznov, known for his participation in TV cooking shows, was arrested by French security services for allegedly planning provocations at the opening of the Olympic Games in France, OFFNews reports. Gryaznov, recruited by Russian intelligence, revealed his plans during a drunken conversation. An investigation by The Insider, in collaboration with Der Spiegel and Le Monde, confirmed his connections with FSB and GRU officers. Bulgarian journalist Christo Grozev was one of the authors of the investigation.

Gryaznov, born in 1984 in Perm, Russia, has a background in law and culinary arts. He studied law at the State National Research University of Russia and later attended Le Cordon Bleu Paris, working in a Michelin-rated restaurant in Courchevel. Despite his success as a chef, his career has been marred by scandals, debts, and alcohol problems.

Gryaznov was arrested after evidence of espionage was found on him. He was intoxicated when he began bragging to strangers in Bulgaria about his secret mission to Paris. Gryaznov even showed an ID card to prove his connection to Russian special services. His suspicious behavior was reported to The Insider, which led to the investigation and subsequent arrest.

Gryaznov's connections extend beyond the culinary world. His brother Dmitry, a lawyer, is the head of the Main Department for Legal and Documentary Support of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Union State of Russia and Belarus. This association includes members of the special services, strengthening Gryaznov's ties to Russian intelligence. Correspondence also revealed Gryaznov's interactions with high-profile figures like Lord Robert Skidelsky, a British economist with Russian-Jewish roots who supported Russia's annexation of Crimea.

French authorities arrested Gryaznov on July 19 on espionage charges, and he faces up to 30 years in prison. He was reportedly found with diplomatic materials and a certificate linking him to "Department V" of the Russian security services. The arrest comes amid heightened vigilance following incidents involving Moldovan nationals arrested in Paris for spraying anti-Semitic graffiti, connected to the pro-Kremlin party of Moldovan oligarch Ilan Shor.

Gryaznov's story is a stark reminder of the complex web of international espionage and the unpredictable consequences of loose talk. His arrest underscores the ongoing efforts by intelligence agencies to monitor and thwart potential threats.

https://m.novinite.com/articles/227...ge Plot After Drunken Revelations in Bulgaria

kjironman1 likes this.
  4. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Now? You haven't wanted one for the past 70 years of your life?

5. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    I used to care about the Olympics, but I don't anymore. NOT because they're some kind of liberal agenda to destroy christianitys weird hold over so many people and governments (tho Im not against that) but because Im pushing 50 and stopped caring about that stuff when life happened.

6. SlyPokerDog

OUCH!

If I get a dragon I'm burning your house down.

7. SlyPokerDog

8. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the opening as Ive never been to Paris and thought it was nice to be able to see much of the City. I wasn't big on their Olympic Flame but it's their party, they can do as they want too.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  9. handiman

That's probably what they were banking on, that people are so fascinated with the city of Paris that they would overlook the shortcomings of the ceremony itself. They clearly didn't plan for weather, so I question how much thought really went into the whole thing. It felt like a small-town floral parade spiraling way out of control.

10. SlyPokerDog

Sounds like LA will have a pretty easy time surpassing it 4 years.

11. ehizzy3

ehizzy3 RIP mgb

Wemby is unstoppable

12. SlyPokerDog

13. SlyPokerDog

14. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Bro... water polo, while the endurance and strength is amazing... that is just not a fun sport to watch.

15. handiman

Maybe they'll flood the LA Aqueduct and float the teams in again... I have no clue whether it goes anywhere near SoFi, though.

Hell, all they need to do to surpass Paris is have some homegrown acts. Paris opened with an English song and closed with a Canadian singer. Show some national pride! And going back to that bridge fashion show, it looked to be the same handful of models walking back and forth, with no wardrobe changes. (And was that The HCP in a dress, DJ'ing??) It seriously seemed like they put in the bare minimum of effort.

THE HCP likes this.
  16. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    Interesting. Most of the reviews I’ve seen of the Opening Ceremonies have been glowing.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  17. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Man, never watched women's field hockey! Those gals look in shape! Damn

Last edited: Jul 27, 2024
    SlyPokerDog likes this.
  18. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

USA vs Argentina is brutal to watch.

Hoopguru likes this.
  19. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Giannis vs an NBA team

20. Chris Craig

Canadian basketball team so disrespectful