Accept Miami Deal or bring Lillard to Camp?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SharpesTriumph, Sep 14, 2023.

?

Assuming the Miami trade is the best offer; would you agree to this Miami trade or bring Dame back?

Poll closed Oct 2, 2023.
  1. I would agree to the Miami trade

23.0%
  2. I would bring Dame back to training camp

77.0%
  1. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

That was the same logic used to act like Keon was some great return in the Clipper deal. Didn't work then; doesn't work now.

2. blazerfan11

blazerfan11 Well-Known Member

Yeah, right. Softest big man in the league.

Nurkic abused Steven Adams and Jaren Jackson Jr. when Lillard wasn't around to "save the day."

Screenshot 2023-09-14 at 9.02.03 PM.png

Nurk took a shot right into JJJ's face, which brought JJJ to the ground and earned him another personal foul.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2023
    RonBrewer likes this.
  3. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

If I can't do camp, I can't do camp man. If I'm butthurt, I'm butthurt. I mean … simple as that. It ain't about that... I mean it's... It's not about that... At all. You know what I'm saying I mean... But it's...it's easy … to, to talk about... It's easy to sum it up when you're just talking about camp. We're sitting in here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we in here talking about camp. I mean, listen, we're talking about camp, not a trade, not a trade, not a trade, we talking about camp. Not a trade. Not, not … Not the trade that I go out there and die for and demand every day like it's my last. Not the trade, but we're talking about camp, man. I mean, how silly is that? … And we talking about camp. I know I supposed to be there. I know I'm supposed to lead by example... I know that... And I'm not.. I'm not shoving it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I do. I honestly do... But we're talking about camp man. What are we talking about? Camp? We're talking about camp, man. We're talking about camp. We're talking about camp. We ain't talking about the trade. We're talking about camp, man. When you come to the arena, and you see me sulking, you see me sulking don't you? You've seen me demand everything I want, right? But we're talking about camp right now. We talking about camp...

barfo

PCmor7 and RR7 like this.
  4. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

they won't be getting their own pick back. They might be able to coerce OKC into accepting the 2026 unprotected and deleting the 2025 pick from the encumbrance. That's what would allow the 2024 pick to be conveyed. But with Dame on Miami that pick will pretty much suck and be at the end of the first round

that would give Miami their 2024, 2028, and 2029 firsts available. They absolutely need to be unprotected but I'd bet Riley isn't offering either of the 2028/2030 unprotected. It would also make available their 2029 pick for a swap. Some people keep blahblahyapping about 2025 & 2027 swaps. But Portland can't guarantee the swap because their encumbrance to Chicago runs thru 2028. Those conditional swaps are worth jack shit

HoopsFanAZ likes this.
  5. HoopsFanAZ

HoopsFanAZ Well-Known Member

Pick swaps with a well run team are essentially meaningless.
    Late 1sts are hoping for something good and doing well is getting a quality 6th man.
    Jaquez and Jovic -- hoping they become starters, maybe.
    That a whole bunch of hoping. The Miami trade is about what Herro could bring in a 3-team (or more) trade if Herro is balling out to begin the season.
    In other words, Miami is a seriously bad trade partner for the Blazers.

Eastoff, BIG Q, PCmor7 and 2 others like this.
  6. beast blazer

beast blazer Well-Known Member

And that logic is the same logic that values 1st round picks. They might develop into good players, but most amount to jack squat. Especially lower ones we'd likly be getting from a team that gets Dame.

7. robson

robson Active Member

Jovic had good game against South Sudan. In serious games he had zero impact on the game.

CJ_is_Gone likes this.
  8. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Ha Ha Ha? Nurk ABUSED Steven Adams???
    You actually wrote that?
    Finding a game here and there where Nurk played well is easily offset by the multitude of games he sucked. This is much like making a highlight package that makes a player look like an All-Star.
    We have all watched him for years now. I certainly know better. You should also. I find it humorous that you show one highlight package that has him making what you call a great pass to Lillard and then follow it up with "When Lillard wasn't around to save the day". Makes it sound like you feel Lillard has been holding him back. I wonder if i could build a highlight package of Nurk blunders? How tough would that be?

9. PtldPlatypus

Not at all. The value of first round picks is in their opportunity. A player who has already been selected is that player and that player only. A draft pick could be any available player that your scoring team identifies as worth selecting. More importantly though, picks also have so much more versatility for future trades because of the fact that they don't take up a roster spot or a salary slot that it's almost incomprehensible that you don't see the difference.

SharpesTriumph likes this.
  10. inconceivable

inconceivable Well-Known Member

What isn't talked about:

Could the Blazers sale be currently in progress behind closed doors? This changes the ballgame about how Dame is handled .

Or stuff like this never not get reported?

11. Bingo Bango

Bingo Bango Well-Known Member

Here’s how it’s going to go down, and Riley is counting on this: the Blazers will be so tired of trying to make a deal, and so eager to start the season with Scoot at the point guard position, that they will surrender and take Miami’s best offer. This is an endurance game. Riley knows Portland doesn’t want to send Lilliard to a place where he’s unhappy, or they would have done that already. So he is content to sit back and wait for Portland to finally cave.

Riley’s ace card is that Miami was in the finals last year, which means even if they don’t get Lillard, they’re still pretty good. So he’s not desperate.

PCmor7 likes this.
  12. PCmor7

PCmor7 Generational Poster

Saying this for years
    He's giving four hypothetical deals but saying three aren't likely and don't make sense. Hmmm, seems intellectually honest ... or wait, no, it seems like another article from the "world-wide leader" carrying water for Dame and the Heat.

SharpesTriumph and BIG Q like this.
  13. PCmor7

PCmor7 Generational Poster

Saying this for years
    And I have little doubt that he's pressing his media pals to keep writing stories like this in the hopes it makes the Blazers blink.

Bingo Bango likes this.
  14. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I think Joe will try to send Dame to a team where he has a chance to win. But I also think the reason he has not yet made a trade to a team other than Miami is that no one has made an offer. So Riley might be content now, but at some point, Dame might finally cave as well.

15. SharpeScooterShooter

SharpeScooterShooter SharpeShooter

Freeloader
    Bring Lillard back to camp. He will buy in with this young core, be their mentor and we win it all in 2025-26.

Samuel, Propagandist and Phatguysrule like this.
  16. beast blazer

beast blazer Well-Known Member

We need forwards, and Jovic and Jaquez are forward prospects. With the latter portion of the draft being mostly a crap shoot, what are the true odds that we'll get a better prospect if we draft them ourselves in the future? You might prefer a pick, but I don't see a huge drop off here.

Pinwheel1 likes this.
  17. PtldPlatypus

I'm not saying that we shouldn't get Jovic and Jaquez in any Miami deal (although I'm certainly dubious about their value as prospects). I'm simply saying that draft picks provide a completely different kind of value as trade return, and it's not reasonable to suggest evaluators equate one with the other.

18. PtldPlatypus

If that's Riley's ace card, it ignores the fact that some of his best cards are in other hands. Losing Strus and Vincent will hurt them more than any of their to-date offseason additions will help.

19. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

It's a guarantee one of the 2025 or 2027 swaps would convey; Blazers can't lose both picks to Chicago.

Ideally if Herro or Martin is routed for a 2027 pick then that swap could be guaranteed. I'm not as concerned with 2025 as Heat are much more likely to be good then. The goal should be something such as unprotected picks in 2028+2030 with unprotected swaps in 2027+2029.

20. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

With Dame and Butler being in their 40's and Riley being in his 80's I totally disagree those swaps are meaningless.

They are not a guarantee. They could be worth nothing. But they could be the most valuable piece in the trade package. The more "roll of the dice" assets the Blazers get with big upside the better.

I'd certainly rather have those swaps than Jaquez and likely than Jovic. Could either of the players be very good? Sure. Could either of them be total busts? Yes. None of these trade peices are guaranteed. Obviously some fans value these assets differently. But when Miami has questionable value to give up the Blazers should get all of these assets they can.