Decision Time On Options for CJ, Meyers and T-Rob

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Boise Blazer, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Blazer4ever

Blazer4ever Finding a Way BANNED

Agricolture
    I'm a little homophobic also. Not as politically correct as you are. But I honestly feel like I'm the only one here not being terribly wrong. I can't understand the logic, I can't understand how suddenly T-Rob is on the way out. I just don't get it.

2. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Grow up.

3. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    Bro, just because we didn't pick up his option doesn't mean he won't stay a blazer. But the real question is "why you think he's worth 6 mil on our cap?"

4. RoyToy

RoyToy Clown Town

Thomas Robinson has basically zero basketball skill, so this isn't that surprising

As I've said for over a year now, his CEILING is JJ Hickson. He's just not that good.

Meyers sucks but at least brings a little shooting to the team and can stretch the defense. He's basically a 0 in all other situations, but he still has that.

Thomas Robinson is a dime a dozen.

5. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

You'll understand one day. So how's high school going? Are u finding it harder to fit in than middle school?

6. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

I understand about Bird rights and trades, but I thought by declining his option we forfeited his Bird Rights. Perhaps not, but technically, they are meaningless in this case as we can't just match any offer and retain him.

From an earlier post by Schilly:

"I think you guys clamoring to not pick up the options are misinformed. If we decline their options we do not have bird rights. We can resign them and go over the cap but the salary cannot exceed what the option would have been.

From Larry Coon...

However, if the team declines either option and the player becomes a free agent, the team cannot re-sign him to a salary greater than he would have received had the team exercised its option. In other words, teams can't decline an option year in order to get around the rookie salary scale and give the player more money. This applies to all types of signing, including the Bird exception, the Mid-Level exception, and cap room."

In any case the MOST we can offer him next summer is the amount of the option we declined. This just gives us more flexibility. We can offer him less, we can offer him the full option amount (with additional years), or we can let him walk and use the roster spot to go n a different direction.

BNM

7. Blazer4ever

Agricolture
    I think KS would actually agree with me on T-Rob. Wouldn't want to hurt his feelings, though.

8. Boise Blazer

Boise Blazer Thread Lightly

I think we want to understand why you feel this decision is so crucial? Maybe it is bad but you are coming across like it is crucial and not a decision that make sense for the team for the plans that they have.

9. 3RA1N1AC

3RA1N1AC 00110110 00111001

what do you not get? i would be happy to explain it to you.

MM seems confused as well.

10. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

I think Robinson does have value. I think he'll have to re-earn the playing time to show it. I think it'll be tough with quality bigs in our frontcourt (man, it feels weird saying that).

I don't think he's worth 5M on the open market, and if he wants to be here, he can prove it this year and get a <4.66M contract this summer.

11. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Now that the decision is made, I hope there's a TRob TRade in the works. Telling him "no thanks" while picking up Leonard and McCollum has to sting, especially after his trades from Sac and Houston. Moving him for a third PG would make a lot of sense, IMHO.

12. Boise Blazer

http://forwardcenter.net/wojnarowski-blazers-will-not-pick-up-robinsons-option/

13. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

I can understand, though. I felt that way after Faried and the 2009 draft debacle.

14. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Thomas robinson is an undersized hustle player who doesn't always hustle, above average rebounder, average defender with no offensive skills to speak of who also has a tendency to play out of the flow of the offense. Now tell me how that is worth 5 mil? Yes he has talent, but I really question his ceiling. He's got A LOT of work to do.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  15. Blazer4ever

Agricolture
    I just hope we find a way to keep him. I may have stepped out of line here a bit but all i really wanted to say is that I have no doubt T-Rob is worth keeping.

16. Boise Blazer

Agreed, I felt the same and no management is perfect. I think there is a lot more logic in this decision.

17. Boise Blazer

I for one would like to have TRob long term just not if it hinders bigger pieces. Hopefully it works all out.

18. chris_in_pdx

chris_in_pdx OLD SCHOOL

So he's J.J. Hickson?

19. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Dude, he's not that good. He's athletic and has potential, but not worth committing the money and locking up a roster spot - until/unless he's worth it. It would totally kill our flexibility next summer. He's still under contract for the entire 2014-15 season. He still has time to find his role on this team and prove his worth - or not. It's totally on him.

BNM

20. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

That's his CEILING.