Decision Time On Options for CJ, Meyers and T-Rob

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Boise Blazer, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

And I like trob, he can be a lot of fun to watch. But I agree with this decision 100%

2. Boise Blazer

Boise Blazer Thread Lightly

Exactly, I really like TRob ... but I like Wes and Rolo a lot more.

3. RoyToy

RoyToy Clown Town

I don't like Thomas Robinson at all

4. 3RA1N1AC

3RA1N1AC 00110110 00111001

trob is a minimum salary guy, signing on to pay him 4.6 MM is just plain fucking stupid.

you could talk me into the same thing for cj and nards, seeing as how they dont have a great chance of breaking the rotation in any significant way. if they suck ass, im sure they will meet the same fate next year.

5. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

While I'm totally on board with not picking up his option, the Hickson comparison doesn't cut it. Both are high energy rebounders, but that's where the similarity ends. Robinson is already a better defender than Hickson (no surprise there, I'm a better defender than Hickson), but Hickson is a much better scorer.

Hickson == rebounding and offense, zero defense
    Robinson == rebounding and defense, zero offense

Both players are limited, but in different areas.

However, to put this in perspective for Blazer4ever, Hickson got $5 million a year AFTER averaging a double-double. Robinson hasn't come close to that and doesn't deserve "Hickson money", yet.

BNM

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  6. Blazer4ever

Blazer4ever Finding a Way BANNED

Agricolture
    Look, I'm not from Portland, I've never been to Portland but the Blazers are my team since I saw them in the '92 finals when I was 7 years old.
    I get up at 5AM (7PM Pacific time) to watch the games on my computer. They're the only sports team I really care about. Almost everyone who knows me well enough knows I'm a Blazers fan. That's my quirk. I know English like I do also from visiting these forums for years.
    For the last couple of years I felt like things have changed. I felt like we start looking at basketball players, at people, not just use wishful thinking or calculating salaries.
    T-Rob and Barton are two young players that we Know can play, that already proved their worth in the playoffs, not just meaningless preseason games. To me they were the future of the team. The two players who were the symbol for the internal growth theory, then we go and kick the bucket.
    McCollum is somewhere between Nolan Smith and that guy we traded for B-Roy (forgot his name). T-Rob IMO has as much potential as Kenneth Faried. I'm an outsider here, I've always been, but I never felt like I can't trust your judgement, even when I couldn't trust the GM's judgement.
    I honestly feel like this move is one of the worst we've made, I think it may be explained but that it makes absolutely no sense. I think you're not allowed to make such mistakes when you try to build a team like the Blazers to be champions, I think it's a decision we're gonna regret for a long, long time and telling you I told you so would give me no consolation.
    T-Rob is a player. If he played Hickson's minutes he would have much better numbers. He's also much younger, last season was his first real season and I feel like the sky's the limit for him.
    I couldn't see why he's fallen out of favor with Stotts. How he suddenly was behind Leonard and Freeland in the rotation. I like Leonard personaly, he seems like a nice kid, Freeland I even like as a player but neither even holds a candle to TRob's ability or potential. I think it's a travesty, honestly.

7. Boob-No-More

Calculating salaries is a very real, very important part of a GM's job. Ignoring the impact of TRob's cap hold would have been totally irresponsible on Olshey's part. This was a business decision. Yes, TRob has potential, but based on his performance to date was not worth the cap hold picking up his option would entail.

Not to worry, he still has another complete season to prove he's worth that money. This is now a contract year. Hopefully, he uses that as motivation to improve and work his way back into the rotation.

BNM

8. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    The sucky groupthink on these boards is amazing. TRob is gone, therefore he sucks - just crazy.

Please don't mention skills. TRob would have been a top 15 rebounder in the league with league average minutes - this is not a dime a dozen. Biebs makes the worst decisions of any player I've ever seen and we're keeping him.

This was done for salary cap reasons, period.

Hobbesarable likes this.
  9. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    This is what I agree with. The cap cost for a #5 pick is pretty step. Usually lottery picks 1-10 should be at least first off the bench type players. T.Rob can definitely get there, but we already have the best PF in the game he's competing with. If he was on a PF weak team, he would look much much better imo.

10. Boob-No-More

First, TROB is not gone. He's still under contract and on this roster for another season.

Other than the usual suspects (who seem to hate EVERY player on our roster), I don't see any TRob hating.

Second, there are reasons TRob didn't get the minutes to be a top 15 rebounder. His offensive game is very underdeveloped and while he makes an occasional spectacular block, he also loses his man on defense on a regular basis.

And, if you're going to play the, if he only got enough minutes game, Meyers Leonard would have been a top 20 rebounder last season, too. Seriously, his TRB% of 16.8 would have tied Carlos Boozer for 20th in the league. This is why we don't play this game.

Of course it was done for salary cap reasons - specifically salary cap flexibility. The salary cap is a very real obstacle GMs must navigate when building a roster. Rather than tie up big bucks on Robinson's cap hold, Olshey wanted the flexibility to make other moves, one of which may be bringing back Robinson for less money, but more years.

BNM

11. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    What I make of this is that you are smarter than Stotts, Olshey, Leonard, and most of the posters on this board. I'm honored to be in your company. :cheers:

12. Blazer4ever

Blazer4ever Finding a Way BANNED

Agricolture
  13. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Who said TRob is "on the way out"? He'll be playing for a contract and will be traded for value or paid the market rate after the season. Quite possibly by the Blazers.

14. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Just so I have it...
    TRob will be an unrestricted FA at the end of the season, and
    He'll still have a cap hold.

Is this right?

15. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

16. magnifier661

Look im a huge T.Rob fan and you can tell I was supporting him. But the realism of the salary is insane! The dude is going to make almost 6 mil for being a 5 minute back-up?

And if you truly are a fan of T.Rob, then why not support sending him to a team that gives him more burn. A team able to gamble and give him tons of minutes.

I think Olshey grabbed T.Rob because of the uncertainty of Aldridge. This move should make us feel more secure that Aldridge is here to stay. Thats most important imo

Eastoff likes this.
  17. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

love the enthusiasm, Mags, and the ever-increasing salary, but it would have been a $4.66M hit next year, not "almost 6M"

18. magnifier661

Oh hahaja my bad

19. Hobbesarable

Hobbesarable Cartoon Character

This. Nice post.

20. riverman

riverman Writing Team

But there's a 15 mil cap hold if I'm not mistake