Free Agents

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets' started by dakeem1, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trip:</div><div class="quote_post">Person would be good, but would he be effective with his age and lack of speed to play in our defense. He doesn't give us much more than a three pointer every game. Barry easily does more. Also, are you saying that Person is a post up threat? Or is it Chandler? Neither are. Chandler is more of a scrapper on offense right now and gets his points off alleys and put backs. Person...nothing whatsoever.</div>
    I was talking about Yao Ming as the post up threat. By next year, Ming's game should be much improved and I expect him to be more dominant. With that and McGrady, teams will surely forget about the role players such as Person.

2. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting mrj18:</div><div class="quote_post">I was talking about Yao Ming as the post up threat. By next year, Ming's game should be much improved and I expect him to be more dominant. With that and McGrady, teams will surely forget about the role players such as Person.</div>
    Why do we need Person to do that though? We already have Jon Barry, and David Wesley, Padgett etc who could all hit that open J. Why the sudden need for someone of Person's ability when we already have a few who could do what he does?

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Oh my bad. I thought he was like around McGrady's age or something around 26. If he really is 30, then well I'm definitely not behind it. I would just draft a rookie in the coming years and go for a powerforward this year.</div>Yeah. I read about his age in the Sonics forum. Pwn3d has predicted him going to Houston as a FA with a deal in the Derek Fisher range. If he's right, we can say goodbye to Chandler or whoever else worth mentioning. Then again, if we do draft a power forward in June, would we need Chandler? Best prospects projected in the 20's right now are Wayne Simien, Channing Frye and Ronny Turiaf. All three are seniors and should be able to produce right off the bat.

3. blueracer

blueracer JBB JustBBall Member

Chandler would be one of our first priority although it's tough to beat the Bulls who are under the team salary cap as well as those teams way below the salary cap with a lot of money to spend. Trading Weatherspoon and Baker(if he picks up his one more year option) who are in the final year of their contract with a combined total between $8.5-$9M would be attractive to the Bulls if they want to gain some cap space after the 05-06 season. At least we hold some ace. Evans, Swift and Haslem would be good alternative also. Anyway it still depends on who we draft this coming summer. If we can get the likes of Frye, Simiens,Turiaf, Mays or even a steal in the draft whoever that is, it would be nice. At least we can spend our free agent exception money or MLE to get either a shooting quard, point guard or even a small forward to back-up TMac.

4. Sniper

Sniper JBB Long Range Assassin

I think the Rockets should go after Hakim Warrick in the draft, and are actually projected to take him with the 24th pick in a mock draft on hoopshype.com (no forum there Trip so it's not spam).

I also was thinking that they should try and pickup Ronnie Turiaf from Gonzaga, but I don't see him on any mock draft boards...what's up with that? He's a physical 6-10 power forward that put up 15 and 10 with a couple of blocks and assists. I find it hard to imagine that he wouldn't make it to the NBA.

5. dakeem1

dakeem1 JBB JustBBall Member

Well it can ebe deceiving because Daniels has been in the league about as long as TMac yet the Mac came from high school so he should be 3 or 4 years younger.

I myself didn't expect Daniels to be that old. If we could get Brevin Knight and a decent SF, do you think Knight and TMac would be a great backcourt?

6. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I myself didn't expect Daniels to be that old. If we could get Brevin Knight and a decent SF, do you think Knight and TMac would be a great backcourt?</div>
    Well yeah, but it would also totally throw away the acquisition of Wesley and maybe Barry. They both play shooting guard and with McGrady taking up most of the minutes, we wouldn't be able to utilize them unless we trade them. Oh yeah, and who would be playing small forward then? But yeah I see where you're going. Plus, a lot of people are going after Brevin Knight after what he's done in Charlotte so I'd doubt we'd be able to get him.

7. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting Sniper:</div><div class="quote_post">I think the Rockets should go after Hakim Warrick in the draft, and are actually projected to take him with the 24th pick in a mock draft on hoopshype.com (no forum there Trip so it's not spam).

I also was thinking that they should try and pickup Ronnie Turiaf from Gonzaga, but I don't see him on any mock draft boards...what's up with that? He's a physical 6-10 power forward that put up 15 and 10 with a couple of blocks and assists. I find it hard to imagine that he wouldn't make it to the NBA.</div>
    Weird. Turiaf is a first round prospect at the very least. nbadraft.net has him going 28th, and has Houston taking Kennedy Winston, an Alabama swingman who is a great scorer. Draftcity also has us taking Winston and Turiaf going 28th to San Antonio. Draftcity also has Frye going 30th and Simien 31st. Although workouts and predraft camps would change the outlook, it looks like we would be able to draft one of the three big men. All are good post scorers and rebounders.

8. Johnny33

Johnny33 JBB JustBBall Member

I like Donyell Marshall personally.. he does a little of everything on the court whether it be boards, blocks, steals, threes, etc.. And unlike the other PF's mentioned, he can hit the open 15 footer (or 3 pointer) that they need to stretch the defenses around Yao and T-Mac.

9. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting johnny33:</div><div class="quote_post">I like Donyell Marshall personally.. he does a little of everything on the court whether it be boards, blocks, steals, threes, etc.. And unlike the other PF's mentioned, he can hit the open 15 footer (or 3 pointer) that they need to stretch the defenses around Yao and T-Mac.</div>
    Marshall, intriguing prospect as well. However, we have to take into consideration age and the draft. Marshall is 32 years old, which if I'm not wrong, is even older than Howard. Would he take a two-year contract offer from Houston when teams like Philly and even Toronto could offer him even more lucrative ones? I don't think it will be wise to invest about five years in a guy who is only going to produce for the next two seasons.

This year's draft, at our likely position which is in the early 20's, features more power forward prospects. It presents us a good opportunity to settle our power forward problem right there, so we wouldn't have to sign one on the free agent market. If not, we can look at signing one.

10. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trip:</div><div class="quote_post">Why do we need Person to do that though? We already have Jon Barry, and David Wesley, Padgett etc who could all hit that open J. Why the sudden need for someone of Person's ability when we already have a few who could do what he does?</div>
    It was already on the list with Korver. Kyle likely is staying with Philadelphia so the only one left was person. You can never have too many shooters. If the Rockets sign a major free agent and have space and can get him cheap, why not? I don't know if playing time will even be an issue.

11. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting mrj18:</div><div class="quote_post">It was already on the list with Korver. Kyle likely is staying with Philadelphia so the only one left was person. You can never have too many shooters. If the Rockets sign a major free agent and have space and can get him cheap, why not? I don't know if playing time will even be an issue.</div>
    The only situation where I could remotely see us signing Person this offseason is if Barry doesn't re-sign. That is highly unlikely because Barry is enjoying his time here and would probably stay with us if we give him a competitive offer. Barry isn't a great defender, but Person isn't even a good one. The only thing that helps him survive in the NBA is his long range shot. His quickness has waned off due to age, and he has never been a fairly good passer or rebounder. If we get him, all we can have him do is stand in a corner on offense and put him on the weakest offensive player on the opposing team. Unlike you, I don't think most people and GMs would support the idea of stockpiling players. Just because there is someone avaliable on the market doesn't mean we have to sign him. Messing with team chemistry by bringing in player after player could hurt a team.

12. blueracer

blueracer JBB JustBBall Member

Important priority for the Rockets aside from getting a good PF in the draft is to deepen the bench with quality players from the free agent market or thru trades. The Rockets must have players that can fill in well just in case someone gets injured. I see the Rockets find it hard to adjust when some key players are lost due to injury. Take for example the Nuggets, Mavs,Kings and Grizzlies who are still capable of competing hard without key players. It's a pity that the Rockets will not be able to get rid of Baker(1 more year),Norris(2 years more) and Ward(2 years more). They are not used to buying out some contracts. I saw on the USA Today website under the NBA section that Rockets owner Leslie Alexander is the poorest among the 30 major NBA owners. A possibility that we may not resign some key role players in our current line-ups to give space for our draft picks as well as free agent pick-ups. Two things that we can hope for is Baker not picking up his option and buying out Wards 2 more year contract($3.8M) whis is far the cheapest compared to Norris.

13. Eduardo

Eduardo JBB JustBBall Member

Chandler for sure. Like Trip said, Chandler gets his points usually off put backs and i thnk thats exactly what we need. Great rebounder and garbage man.

btw andre barret signed a 10 day contract with the magic and played pretty well..hope they extend it and keep him [​IMG]

14. bbwAce

bbwAce BBW Member

KORVER!!!!

But I agree, we might not be able to match the amount Philly is gonna give up for him...I like the fact that hes also a good passer and nice rebounder...Person would be just another Piatkowski, imo...I also would love to add Marshall...I think our backcourt is shored up with Barry, Sura, Wesley and James...I like McGrady and Padgett as our 3s...Adding Donyell Marshall or Haslem would be great for our frontcourt...if we wanted, we could afford to sign Person and use Padgett only for certain situations since this team has so many good defenders...

15. Johnny33

Johnny33 JBB JustBBall Member

The Rockets will be major players after next season when Baker's, Norris' and Spoon's contracts expire. Rashard Lewis is a free agent and is from Houston, and may be interested in playing in Houston. Another name to mention is Carlos Arroyo who makes about 4m per season - Detroit will want to keep Ben Wallace, who's contract expires after next season and may try to clear cap space in the offseason. With the emergence of Joel Pryzbilla, Portland may try to offload Theo Ratliff (11m per til end of 07-08). Those 3 players contracts will probably match Ratliff's, and his defense will be much needed if Deke decides to retire.

16. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting johnny33:</div><div class="quote_post">The Rockets will be major players after next season when Baker's, Norris' and Spoon's contracts expire. Rashard Lewis is a free agent and is from Houston, and may be interested in playing in Houston..</div>

Don't bet on it. Rashard was burned on draft day by the Rockets and has a personal agenda whenever he plays against them.

Still, you never know what can happen.

17. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- JBB The Same One

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Pwn3d!:</div><div class="quote_post">Don't bet on it. Rashard was burned on draft day by the Rockets and has a personal agenda whenever he plays against them.

Still, you never know what can happen.</div>

But he did say in an Interview that he would like to end his career in Houston. I think right now he does have a small beef against Houston but inside he probably wouldn't mind coming home.

18. Trip

Student
    I doubt we would afford Lewis. Besides, would he be happy being the third option? His defensive and rebounding game is also suspect. I'd like to see him as a Rocket before the career ends, but I doubt it'll be anytime soon.

19. bplld

bplld JBB JustBBall Member

Is there a possibility that we can get drew gooden. I think he could be a good fit. HE is young, pretty good defensively, good shot, and rebounding. The cavs need changes with james threatening to leave.

20. Trip

Student
    One thing I don't like about Gooden is his inconsistency. Although that would come with age and experience, I would rather take Chandler over him. Although he has a good scoring game, I don't think he would fit as well as Howard did on this team. We don't need Drew down low to take up Yao's space on the block, what we need is someone to play good defense, get some hustle points and hit the midrange jumper. Gooden can't do that yet. Chandler can't either but his defense and shotblocking is needed even more on this team than scoring, not to mention his offensive rebounding would still get him 10/10 every night.