Game Thread: New Jersey Nets @ Orlando Magic

Discussion in 'Brooklyn Nets' started by GMJ, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Dumpy

Dumpy Yi-ha!!

2. jirohkanzaki

jirohkanzaki Member

brook lopez with 0 rebounds?

3. bbwSwish

bbwSwish Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.

Awesome, thanks Dumpy! I didn't know we had Derrick Byers. He was that dude that was supposed to be the steal of the draft a couple years ago when he slipped to Philly.

4. pegs

pegs My future wife.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jirohkanzaki @ Jul 7 2008, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>brook lopez with 0 rebounds?</div>

You're surprised?

5. Claud

Claud Legendary

Full-time Student
    So what have we learn from this game?

-Swat isn't crazy fouling anymore and played tough D and crashed the boards well. ( Not too many chances at offense since Carrol kept shooting and not passing) Must improve offense in the post.
    -CDR can score with ease from 17ft. Can knock down the jumper and play sticky D. Must improve 3 point shooting & handling the ball.
    - Anderson Played very decent D when he was playing SF. Knocked down some 3s and posted when needed. Needs to Improve Mobility.
    - Yuta is a high energy guy and can handle being a PG. I didn't see him shoot so i dont know how good of a shooter he is. But overall a good game for him.
    -Brook Played Very good offensively (When he had the chance) and blocked some shots defensively & moved his feet decently for a big guy thats a rookie. Must improve his jumper & rebounding . He got like 4 open looks and only drained 1. Inside very efficient though.
    - Agger tried too hard, made one decent shot but overall, nothing spectacular. Carrol>Agger so far in this summer league
    - Hodge did a nice job scoring and wasn't forcing anything and played good D.

Anyone else want to chime in with something else that they saw?

6. cpawfan

cpawfan Monsters do exist

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Netted @ Jul 7 2008, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (L @ Jul 7 2008, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>The announcers actually make this entertaining though, especially with the shout-outs from the emails.</div>
    The shout outs from the emails were the only entertaining part. Talking about baseball, cheetos or cookies was just plain stupid.

Talk about the game and read some emails. Not that hard. Especiallly when the team you work for is playing.
    </div>

Getting S2 mentioned should be the goal of the emails [​IMG]

7. jirohkanzaki

jirohkanzaki Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pegs @ Jul 7 2008, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jirohkanzaki @ Jul 7 2008, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>brook lopez with 0 rebounds?</div>

You're surprised?
    </div>

maybe he just boxes out everyone and lets the guards rebound like what dumpy would say about twin... [​IMG]

8. danxcr

danxcr Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Claud @ Jul 7 2008, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>So what have we learn from this game?

-Swat isn't crazy fouling anymore and played tough D and crashed the boards well. ( Not too many chances at offense since Carrol kept shooting and not passing) Must improve offense in the post.
    -CDR can score with ease from 17ft. Can knock down the jumper and play sticky D. Must improve 3 point shooting & handling the ball.
    - Anderson Played very decent D when he was playing SF. Knocked down some 3s and posted when needed. Needs to Improve Mobility.
    - Yuta is a high energy guy and can handle being a PG. I didn't see him shoot so i dont know how good of a shooter he is. But overall a good game for him.
    -Brook Played Very good offensively (When he had the chance) and blocked some shots defensively & moved his feet decently for a big guy thats a rookie. Must improve his jumper & rebounding . He got like 4 open looks and only drained 1. Inside very efficient though.
    - Agger tried too hard, made one decent shot but overall, nothing spectacular. Carrol>Agger so far in this summer league

Anyone else want to chime in with something else that they saw?</div>

thanks for the update brother [​IMG]

9. reganomics813

reganomics813 Get ready for typos!

I hope that Carroll's ball hogging, while understandable as he's auditioning, doesn't overshadow the good stuff a guy like Hodge did today. He definitely played a good complimentary role and I liked what little I could see from the godawful feed. I'm pulling for Hodge over Carroll even though at this point, until we make another trade, the chance of either being on our roster seems kinda remote.

Our bigs numbers are gonna be crap all through Orlando unless we get someone in there who's gonna dish the ball. I'd really like this to be a little bit more than conditioning for those guys.

10. Claud

Claud Legendary

Full-time Student
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danxcr @ Jul 7 2008, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Claud @ Jul 7 2008, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>So what have we learn from this game?

Anyone else want to chime in with something else that they saw?</div>

thanks for the update brother [​IMG]
    </div>

Anytime! [​IMG]

11. ghoti

ghoti A PhD in Horribleness

These are just glorified scrimmages.

The coaches get to know the players and vice-versa.

A lot of the things that matter we don't even see - such as how fast a guy is picking things up, how he interacts with his teammates and coaches and how hard he's working in practices and in his free time.

12. ffz

ffz Member

I still think Yuta Tsubasa or whoever played great. He was very impressive in his limited minutes. 5'9 guy who brings in instant energy. Any team could use someone like him.

LOL at the guys whining about the announcers... Believe me I watched 4 years of Rockets basketball from p2p chinese tv channels before NBA decided to do this whole NBA broadband thing... Nothing is worse than having Steve Francis on the team and the chinese play by play guys lamented how Yao is being used wrong for 2 seasons then have them whine through a horrid season where Yao barely played 50 games. Thank god for NBA broadband. Now i get to watch Rockets vs Celtics games where that celtics guy starts to give everyone tommy points for stuff... Ahh i'm stop rambling and go to sleep. Night.

13. reganomics813

reganomics813 Get ready for typos!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ghoti @ Jul 7 2008, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>These are just glorified scrimmages.

The coaches get to know the players and vice-versa.

A lot of the things that matter we don't even see - such as how fast a guy is picking things up, how he interacts with his teammates and coaches and how hard he's working in practices and in his free time.</div>

No doubt, I try and look for the little things the players do other than the obvious (scoring, rebounding, etc) and that's why I liked what Hodge was doing. I thought his experience really showed through and he tried to apply himself all over the court even though he wasn't the focal point, hopefully he gets more PT as the games go on.

14. SUPERB

SUPERB Member

i was impressed with cdr.

15. SportsTicker

SportsTicker News Feed

People who compare Robert Hite and Jaycee Carroll forget one great advantage Carroll has over Hite Hite's signing to a guaranteed deal last year would have put the team over the luxury tax. The Nets are likely to go into camp between $5 million and $10 under the cap threshold.

16. User01

User01 GOAT

I don't think the boxscore is right... I remember SWat getting at least 2 blocks, and I only saw the second half. I think I saw Brook get at least one board, too.

17. AGGiE

AGGiE Watching The Nets

Highlights!!!!

<div><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jebb6t-CXXk&"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jebb6t-CXXk&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" /></embed></object></div>

18. RJWildcat

RJWildcat New Member

Wow. so much hatred for JC Carroll? I'm surprised seeing that he led the team in every category with the least amount of minutes among the starters. I guess I don't get what there isn't to like about this guys game. He is a 2 guard playing point, but is really more of a combo guard. People complaining that he shoots too much, but he is 7-13? If he shoots over 50% from the field...why not? He damn near shot that from 3pt land as a senior! He hustles more than anyone out there and it shows in how he can fill up a stat sheet. While I agree I don;t like seeing him at the point the entire time, I also think he is not only a deadly shooter, but a flat out scorer and does much more good than harm when he's on the court. There was no one on that court that could guard him, so why wouldn't you want your PG to penetrate and score or at least make the other team step up and commit to stopping him?

Other Net boards are raving over his game and wondering why a team didn't pull the trigger on this guy on draft day and this board is ripping him because he didn't make the draft guys look good? Isn't that their own job? With his same skills, if Carroll was 4 inches taller, he would have been a lottery pick.

19. Universe

Universe Hall of Fame

Good game even if it means nothing.

Imagine bringing in four rookies?

20. FOMW

FOMW Member

Aggie, thanks for the hilight link. Much appreciated.