Heat Prepared to Offer Trade for Navarro

Discussion in 'Washington Wizards' started by Ming637, Jul 17, 2007.

1. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

<div class="quote_poster">Will637 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Well actually Gary Payton's retiring</div>

Really? I was looking for information on Gary Payton earlier, I had no idea he was retiring.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Don't forget that they still have Jason Williams who handled 28 minutes this past season.</div>

Well, the Heat are planning on taking some load off of Jason Williams hands which is the main reason for these solid backup PG signings.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Do you really think it's wise to send Navarro to a division rival, which can only help Miami for the moment?</div>

I'd rather get a first rounder than just let Navarro be stuck in Barcelona, but as you said in your next quote:

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Hopefully the Lakers or the Grizzlies will offer one of their first rounders.</div>

I hope so as well, both of these teams could very well be in the lottery. This will also send Navarro out West where he can't hurt us when it comes to seeding.

2. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

The Wizards have to make sure they don't take a lot of salary back if they do deal Navarro. They need some money available to re-sign Blatche still.

3. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

<div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">The Wizards have to make sure they don't take a lot of salary back if they do deal Navarro. They need some money available to re-sign Blatche still.</div>

The entire plan is to get rid of some cap space now or get a big expiring contract. If the Wizards get an expiring like Jason Williams or Antoine Walker, I really hope that we send away Etan Thomas or Brendan Haywood to compensate and make sure we don't add to our cap.

4. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

<div class="quote_poster">GArenas Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">The entire plan is to get rid of some cap space now or get a big expiring contract. If the Wizards get an expiring like Jason Williams or Antoine Walker, I really hope that we send away Etan Thomas or Brendan Haywood to compensate and make sure we don't add to our cap.</div>

If we do decide to get either of those two to relieve our cap, we have to make sure we're making the right move. The Wizards have a nice shot to make into the finals with everybody healthy, lots of added bench attack and hopefully a motivated and good defense with what Randy Ayers can work with.

I wouldn't want to deal away Etan Thomas and have to deal with AD and Jason Williams fighting for minutes behind Arenas. AD is perfect off the bench knowing how to run our princeton offense, a motivated defensive player already and I wouldn't want to see him leave.

5. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

<div class="quote_poster">Will637 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">If we do decide to get either of those two to relieve our cap, we have to make sure we're making the right move. The Wizards have a nice shot to make into the finals with everybody healthy, lots of added bench attack and hopefully a motivated and good defense with what Randy Ayers can work with.

I wouldn't want to deal away Etan Thomas and have to deal with AD and Jason Williams fighting for minutes behind Arenas. AD is perfect off the bench knowing how to run our princeton offense, a motivated defensive player already and I wouldn't want to see him leave.</div>

Well from what I've read in the past, if Jason Williams is involved the Wizards need to include Antonio Daniels in any trade talk. Now I'm not a fan of trading away Antonio but Jason Williams would be a pretty good substitute. I think swapping:

Right to Navarro
    Etan Thomas

for

Antonio Walker
    First Round Draft Pick

Is likely what the Wizards are pushing for. (With a few changes to make salaries match) Now, with Walker I think Eddie will need to talk to about taking less three pointers and playing more like he did his first season in Miami. Now, I do expect him to continue to knock down three's in the offense but I don't want to see him becoming our new Jarvis Hayes.

Also, Etan Thomas won't benefit this team, it doesn't really matter if we give him up. He has no prescence offensively, not nearly as good as Haywood defensively, he's a decent rebounder, but also does tend to grab only defensive rebounds for the most part.

6. og15

og15 JBB *********

My problem with AD in a trade for Jason Williams is that Williams is injury prone. If he goes down, the team won't have a solid backup PG. I'm not too happy about that scenario.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Right to Navarro
    Etan Thomas

for

Antonio Walker
    First Round Draft Pick</div>
    That's the last thing the Wizards are looking for, did you think Walker was expiring or something?

Antoine makes:
    $8,547,000
    $9,320,000
    $10,094,000 (team option, so he'd be out after 08-09)

That's more money than Etan, but the real problem is that his contract goes for one more season after Arenas opts out and Jamison expires. This takes away a lot of the Wizards power in free agency. Basically all the Wizards can do is re-sign Arenas, there's no option to sign anyone else, and the team wouldn't be able to re-sign Jamison because of Walker. Wouldn't be a good move at all.

...and anyways, Antoine Walker sucks A LOT, and would be useless on this taem. Why would the team sign a guy for $8 millon dollars to backup Jamison and take away minutes from the young PF's and Dominic. Walker would be the worst move possible.

The roster becomes:
    SF: Caron Butler / Antoine Walker / McGuirre
    PF: Antawn Jamison / Antoine Walker / Songaila / Opec
    C: Brendan Haywood / Andray Blatche / Booth

7. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

<div class="quote_poster">og15 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">My problem with AD in a trade for Jason Williams is that Williams is injury prone. If he goes down, the team won't have a solid backup PG. I'm not too happy about that scenario.

That's the last thing the Wizards are looking for, did you think Walker was expiring or something?

Antoine makes:
    $8,547,000
    $9,320,000
    $10,094,000 (team option, so he'd be out after 08-09)
    </div>

Yeah, I did think he was expiring, my mistake. [​IMG]

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">...and anyways, Antoine Walker sucks A LOT, and would be useless on this taem. Why would the team sign a guy for $8 millon dollars to backup Jamison and take away minutes from the young PF's and Dominic. Walker would be the worst move possible.</div>

Dominic will be playing SF for the most part. He's not strong enough at this point to go up against the tougher PF's in the league. Hopefully a little later in his career when he's bulked up he'll be able to take them on. However, if Walker was expiring, taking 8 million off of our cap is a great deal of money.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The roster becomes:
    SF: Caron Butler / Antoine Walker / McGuirre
    PF: Antawn Jamison / Antoine Walker / Songaila / Opec
    C: Brendan Haywood / Andray Blatche / Booth</div>

It would look more like this:

SF: Caron Butler / Antoine Walker/ McGuire
    PF: Antawn Jamison / Andray Blatche / Darius Songaila
    C: Brendan Haywood / Oleksiy Pecherov / Calvin Booth

It doesn't matter that Pecherov's game is around the perimiter, he's still a 7 footer with range that can kill the other team defensively.

8. og15

og15 JBB *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Dominic will be playing SF for the most part. He's not strong enough at this point to go up against the tougher PF's in the league. Hopefully a little later in his career when he's bulked up he'll be able to take them on. However, if Walker was expiring, taking 8 million off of our cap is a great deal of money.</div>
    Oh I know, Dominic isn't a PF at all, right now he's probably best defensively at SG even, that's why I said the young PF's (meaning Blatche and Opec), and Dominic, with DMac being seperate from the young PF's part, since Walker can play SF too. With Jamison being a close to 40 MPG guy there would be no way for him to get all his PT at backup PF. Let's give Caron and Jamison 36 MPG.

SF: Caron (36 MPG) / Backup (12 MPG)
    PF: Jamison (36 MPG) / Backup (12 MPG)

Antoine Walker wouldn't be getting just 12 MPG backing up only Jamison. He would come in as the backup, then maybe when Jamison comes back in, he'll play SF, and Walker plays PF, but the majority of those 12 mins behind Butler will get eaten up because of Walker's presence.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">
    It would look more like this:

SF: Caron Butler / Antoine Walker/ McGuire
    PF: Antawn Jamison / Andray Blatche / Darius Songaila
    C: Brendan Haywood / Oleksiy Pecherov / Calvin Booth

It doesn't matter that Pecherov's game is around the perimiter, he's still a 7 footer with range that can kill the other team defensively.</div>
    I hope my earlier post explains it in terms of minutes. My point wasn't that Opec's offensive game doesn't work at C, Mehmet Okur is a C isn't he? It's that he's still not where he needs to be body wise to play C consistently on the defensive end, Blatche is ahead of him in knowing the system, and the forward minutes are all gone. Blatche has some good weight on him and is also a much better shot blocker. Also for Blatche there would end up being no minutes at PF and no Etan would make him the backup C.

With this projection and me being nice with Jamison's minutes on the assumption that with better backups he'll play less even though Jamison outside of his second year has never played less than 37 MPG (and 38+ most years) as a starter:

SF: Caron Butler (36 MPG) / Antoine Walker (12 MPG) / McGuire (scrub minutes)
    PF: Antawn Jamison (36 MPG) / Andray Blatche (12 MPG) / Darius Songaila (srub minutes)
    C: Brendan Haywood (24 MPG) / Oleksiy Pecherov (16 MPG) / Calvin Booth (8 MPG)

Walker can't be getting just 12 MPG, so he'll take at least 8 MPG from the PF mins (giving him 20 MPG) leaving at most 4 MPG there (when no one is injured). Blatche is currently a better C than Oleksiy especially defensively, and there's no way Opec get's more minutes than him and DSong. So Blatche will really become the C backup getting about 16 MPG there. Song takes those 4 MPG at PF, and then the rest of the 8 MPG at C, but when he's in, I suppose ugghh, Jamison or Walker moves to C and he plays PF. I don't even like the rotations that come out of this lineup, it's ugly.

So it will end up:

Butler (36 mins)
    Jamison (36 mins)
    Haywood (24 mins)
    Walker (20 mins)
    Blatche (16 mins)
    Songaila (12 mins)
    Total (144 mins / 3 = 48 mins)

The other guys won't get 0 MPG though as everyone won't play 82 games, and they'll get minutes in blowout games. DMac will probably get some SG minutes when Nick Young isn't playing well, and also for defensive purposes.

9. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

Celtics in the Mix

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Celtics and Washington Wizards have talked recently about exchanging the rights to Navarro, according to Navarro's agent, Alex Saratsis. Drafted in 2002, Navarro has remained with FC Barcelona the past five seasons because of a prohibitive buyout clause in his contract. If an NBA team agrees in principle to sign Navarro before the end of business Friday, Barcelona will let him go with his buyout reduced to $3 million, which can be paid over several years.

"From what he could bring to a team and his level of experience, he is probably the most affordable guard on the market," said Saratsis, who noted the 27-year-old's quickness, understanding of the game, and shooting ability.</div>

Link

Looking at the Celtics right now, they barely have anyone other than their starting lineup, not to mention they have no more cap relief. I'd doubt the Celtics would want to give up another first round draft pick and we can get a lot more than just 1 second round choice.

This probably wouldn't be a good idea for the Wizards to add another talent to the Eastern Conference threats. They should look towards to the Lakers or Grizzlies.

10. og15

og15 JBB *********

They can't give one up, well they can, but it will be for like 2012, and why would the Wizards care about that right now, and similarly, why would Boston want to give away a pick 5 years from now.

There's nothing the Celtics can offer to Washington, so it's not happening.

11. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Don't be shocked if the Wizards wind up trading the rights to Juan Carlos Navarro to Memphis on Friday for a first round pick. Just letting you know.</div>

Link

GM's Ernie Grunfeld and Chris Wallace are scheduled to meet once again today to see if there's a deal that can be worked out. I doubt there's chance that we're able to dump off Etan Thomas to the Grizzlies so it only looks like we'd get a lottery pick if it goes down and that's fine for me.

12. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">How about the Golden State Warriors? They have trade exception from the JRich deal, and they are in need of a big body down low, along with a backup for Navarro. The Warriors also have Sarunas expiring K ($4M) if necessary.</div>

I was just thinking the same thing. Seems like GS and Washington would be perfect trade partners. Any of you guys know how much Navarro is looking to make in the NBA? Would it be an MLE type contract? The Warriors can offer Sarunas Jasikevicius (4 mil expiring contract and PG who can shoot), Patrick O'Bryant (probably on the way out with Wright, Perovic, Croshere being added this offseason), and their trade exception.