Hold firm, Joe!

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Rastapopoulos, Jul 3, 2023.

1. GoBlazersGo

GoBlazersGo Well-Known Member

Hold firm, Joe… you have Pat Riley’s number here. We have what they need & they don’t really have any other options. Everybody else, including Dame, can fuck ALL THE WAY off! #HODL

2. Stevenson

Stevenson Old School

Writer
    100% true. But the narrative that he's had it bad here, that somehow he is escaping something like the old Clippers, has grown tiresome.

TBpup, SharpesTriumph, PCmor7 and 2 others like this.
  3. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

you're getting ahead of the situation. This wasn't Dame & his agent backing off their Miami or bust stance; this was Mannix speculating that the threats made by Dame's agent are more bluff than reality. That's logical, but at this point it's not factual. If Dame's agent changes his tune, I'm pretty sure we'll hear about it as all parties seem to leak like sieves. As far as I know though, thy haven't backed off, at least not publicly, and until they do, Portland won't be getting any competitive offers from other teams, IMO

good points about the Jaquez signing. While most of us thought that was just Riley being a viper, it might have been Riley anticipating the need for the 3.5M salary of Jaquez

Miami isn't actually over the 2nd threshold yet. They are if you count their TPE's, but those can be renounced. But they are less than 4M below that 2nd threshold, so they are in a tight spot in any Dame trade. They really need to send out more salary than they take back. Dame's salary is 45.6M. While we've been focused on the assets Portland wants, Miami needs to send out Lowry or Robinson. Now, Robinson is a negative value player and a negative value contract. Nobody wants him and to take him on teams would need major incentive. And any incentive in a Dame trade not going to Portland is a problem that probably kills the deal

Lowry probably has neutral value as a player, but his 30M price tag is way too high. He's a negative contract under this new CBA. And Herro + Lowry = 57M in salary. Brooklyn can't absorb that. Few teams could right now.

Tyler Herro $27,000,000
    Caleb Martin $6,802,950
    Jaime Jaquez Jr. $3,510,600
    Nikola Jovic $2,352,000

about 39.7M.....Miami just can't get to a Dame trade without Lowry or Robinson. And if Portland is taking on Lowry, they really can't take on Simmons

and by the way, Miami's payroll issues sure seems to make any Dame + Nurkic--->Miami deal DOA

UKRAINEFAN and RippedCity like this.
  4. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Dame and Nurk combine to make ~62 million next year. Herro and Lowry and jovic and Jaquez is ~61. Seems like they can easily get to the $$ amount

TBpup and Natebishop3 like this.
  5. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

agree, I think he and his fame have it great here, and he's given back and earned a lot of respect and love.
    Hope its resolved sooner than later.

6. wizenheimer

Miami is less than 4M below the 2nd apron, and that's with 12 players. That 2 for 4 trade would put them about 1.5M below the 2nd apron and they'd have to sign 4 more players

they could add Martin to the trade, and get about 8M below the 2nd apron, but then they'd have to add 5 players, so all would have to be for the minimum

I'm all for making things as difficult as possible though so sure...jamb Nurkic into the trade. But where would Lowry go? I'm guessing that's were the 4th and 5th teams come in?

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/miami-heat/cap/

TBpup, RippedCity and Idog1976 like this.
  7. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

They damn well BETTER add Martin to the deal.

UKRAINEFAN and Idog1976 like this.
  8. Idog1976

Idog1976 Well-Known Member

I look to the stars.
    He always had been up to this point. The problem I have is Dame's camp behaving the way they have. If Dame was worried about the fans/city he could have reeled his camp/agent in much sooner, and maybe made a public statement. He didn't and it's sad. I don't hate Dame, and I certainly don't blame him for the trade request. I simply think the way it's been handled trying to pressure us into taking a shit sandwich from Miami was poor form at best.

TBpup, RippedCity and Cugel like this.
  9. wizenheimer

sure

to be realistic, It's entirely possible Martin was playing well over his head in the playoffs. His numbers in the playoffs were way above what he posted in his previous 200 games. He's a solid role player though on a good contract.

I still have trouble seeing where Lowry would go though

illmatic99 and Pinwheel1 like this.
  10. Natebishop3

I mostly want Martin to flip, but it couldn't hurt to put him in the starting lineup.

GoBlazersGo and Idog1976 like this.
  11. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'

GoBlazersGo and blazerkor like this.
  12. Hoopguru

Joe will send Dame to the Heat with the understanding he will come back and retire a Blazer and go into the HOF a Blazer. Joe is to nice a guy to not help Dame go where he wants.

13. SlyPokerCat

SlyPokerCat cats rool dogs drool

If he does that Cronin should be fired immediately.

I don't think he does that.

14. BIG Q

BIG Q Well-Known Member

The Vulcans are calling the shots in Dame now. It has now become a PR issue as well as a pissing contest. If Dame is truly having personal strife at home, and the Vulcans know, they might relent. But nothing has become public knowledge on that as of yet. The precedent is Utah I believe sending Derek Fischer back to the Lakers when his daughter needed medical attention in LA. Not sure this situation, if true, rises to that standard. Again, we have no idea and I feel smarmy just typing this bit.

15. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Martin is 27 and was cut recently (just under two years ago) by Charlotte. He's a 6'5" small forward who been decent for Miami as a part-time starter and who shoots mid-.300s from three. I don't think he should be any sort of holdup for a deal on Portland's side.

16. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

And why do you, as a fan of the TEAM, want that for our team?

17. Natebishop3

And he's an asset that I want to squeeze out of them. If there is something that is not nailed down, I want it. Hopefully we can flip him for a pick or something.

Miami is peddling shit, so we might as well take every last drop of it.

SharpesTriumph likes this.
  18. Hoopguru

Where do I say thats what I want for the team?
    What I would really like is for a deal that is good enough for both parties to agree. It's great if we come out ahead someway? But if Pat get's a third or fourth team involved and it fair/reasonable. Cool.
    I was hope full that Dame would have a change of heart and decide to stay and give it time. If Dame is going through a personal crisis, that can be really tough and making huge decisions in the midst isn't always wise.
    So, Im a day one fan of the team and always have been a huge supporter, same with my kids and their kids. But we are also HUGE Dame Lillard fans too.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2023
  19. GoBlazersGo

GoBlazersGo Well-Known Member

Yeah, sorry, but this isn’t the same scenario as D. Fischer. In Fischer’s case, LA was one of TWO places in the country (I believe New York was the other) that had the medical professionals to treat his daughter’s eye condition/disease/whatever. Dame’s just havin’ some sort of a mid-career crisis.

maxiep likes this.
  20. BIG Q

BIG Q Well-Known Member

Completely agree in my opinion. But we do not know anything so I always tread lightly on family stuff. If he is having a relationship issue, it is not a loser leave town, WWE thing.