Judgments About Fact and Fiction by Children From Religious and Nonreligious Backgrou

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Eastoff, Jul 17, 2014.

1. MadeFromDust

MadeFromDust Well-Known Member

Re: Judgments About Fact and Fiction by Children From Religious and Nonreligious Back

If some people see God that way then they're morons. Sounds like another typical anti-religious strawman to me.

2. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    Re: Judgments About Fact and Fiction by Children From Religious and Nonreligious Back

Santa wants to keep women from getting birth control?

;)

3. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

Susan B. Anthony said she distrusted people who claimed to know what god wants, as it always seems to coincide with their own wishes. I agree. (The fact that her name was hijacked by an antiwoman group notwithstanding.)

You oppose family planning? God say fertilize every egg and preserve fertilized egg at all costs. You support family planning? God says the woman's life takes precedence.
    God likes the Spurs more than the Heat. Hell, so do I.
    You want slavery and apartheid? God created the races separate and apart. You hate slavery and apartheid? God created all souls equal.

Martin Luther King and Fred Phelps were both Baptist ministers. Pope Pius and Daniel Berrigan were both Catholic priests. All claimed their wildly divergent views came from the same god. Your God is a reflection of yourself (as the saying goes, God did not create people, people created God, in their image.)

4. Eastoff

Eastoff But it was a beginning.

Back to the point!

5. Eastoff

Children raised in religious homes have more trouble separating stories of magical people as fact from fiction compared to homes without religious backgrounds. Magical characters are given equal belief to that of religious stories. Is this not troubling? Does this not say something about religious stories?

6. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer

IMO, it says that mythology being taught to children as truth inculcates in them a belief in "magical thinking" (that things can happen outside of what mundane reality allows for). That magical thinking obviously doesn't just end at the boundaries of religion.

Eastoff likes this.
  7. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

I find it interesting, but not troubling. Sounds like religious kids have more faith. I don't think that is a bad thing.

It sad to me that people of no religious faith look down on people with religious faith. With so many bad things out there to be involved in, is it a bad thing that people choose to live their life having a religious belief?

8. crowTrobot

crowTrobot die comcast

The lack of ability to rationally parse the nature of objective reality does have negative consequences for individuals, and occasionally catastrophic consequences for humanity.

I don't know that they "look down" on them so much as they think they are fooling themselves, using the concept of "faith" as an excuse for wishful thinking.

How is it a choice?

9. Eastoff

"You're best way into heaven is to blow up your enemies." Catholics in Ireland, Buddhists in Burma, Islamic in the middle east.

10. The_Lillard_King

If you think that is what religion is all about, you have a misconception of religion.

People who use violence in the name of god or allah of whoever are not true religious people.

11. The_Lillard_King

I know a lot of people who have decided to make religion, such as Christianity, a big part of their life. They attend church regularly, partake in events and live life in accordance with that belief. I personally have seen a lot of positive changes in these people. If believing in god has helped them change to become better people . . . well like I said there are a lot of worse choices people can make out there.

12. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

They might not be your idea of true religious people, but I think they do believe.

barfo

13. Eastoff

I don't think that's what all religion is all about, but clearly SOME people do. And they ARE able to convince others (they aren't so dumb as to get themselves killed for their "righteous cause").

14. Eastoff

Exactly, it's very similar to "God is real because I know he's real." "That isn't religion because I know it's not." There are a lot of violent things in the Bible and Quran.

15. crowTrobot

crowTrobot die comcast

this is simply your opinion. it doesn't change the fact that religious belief is (occasionally) a motivational factor for violence.

16. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!

fify

17. crowTrobot

crowTrobot die comcast

Religion is sometimes a motivational factor for violence, just as it is sometimes a motivational factor for charity. Which of those anyone thinks is "true" religious practice is irrelevant. That's just individual opinion (which in most modern cases is actually based on secular morality as a guide rather than teachings in religious texts).

18. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee

I have to ask what is an anti-woman group?

Seems unlikely such a thing exists.

19. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee

Actually, they are truly religious people, willing to murder or die for their beliefs.

It's the billions of fake believers who claim religious beliefs for social/business status who are not true religious people.

20. The_Lillard_King

Ok. I'm not a religious person and just giving my opinion.

I know when I talk to people of the muslim faith they are very insulted that the people that kill in the name of allah are being associated as muslim and will insist they are not truly muslim and the faith does not encourage violence. But I don't know enough about religion to explain how they feel and people here seem very convinced true religious people kill in the name of their religion.

I still think having faith in a religion tends to bring out the good in people . . .