Pick a lane, Joe

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Rastapopoulos, Jul 9, 2024.

?

What strategy should we have?

1. Trade as many vets as possible this Summer, even for low value, to go full tank

48.9%
  2. Hold on to our vets and play them to maximize value, but still tank

34.0%
  3. Actually try to win (probably involving replacing Chauncey)

17.0%
  1. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

you mean like zigging with undersized no-defense SG's when most of the NBA is zagging the other direction?

blazerkor likes this.
  2. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

I mean Ayton just has to face gaurd-em and who cares if they blow by to RWill/CKong.

3. wizenheimer

I'm pretty sure that most of us skeptical about Ayton at PF are skeptical about his defense a lot more than his offense. I don't think Ayton will deal well with PF's and stretch-4's like Lebron, Durant, PG13, Kawhi, etc. that are masters of dribble-drive and using screens

by the way, 90% of Ayton's shots come within 16' of the hoop; most are in the paint. That's his wheelhouse (besides being allergic to contact). If Ayton is down in the low block, as he has been throughout his career, where is Clingan going to be...out near the 3pt line? That will be using him well won't it. For his career, his average shot distance has been 7.1 feet. That's deep in the paint. KAT's average shot distance has been 11.8 feet. Last year, Chet Holmgren's average shot distance was 12.8 feet

blazerkor likes this.
  4. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

If Rob is healthy he can play both 4 and 5, he has that foot speed. So if it's Rob and Deandre or Rob and Donovan out there who really cares but Deandre and Donovan would be a disaster. Neither of those guys could even keep up with KAT on the defensive end. It's funny because Chauncey was talking about how Clingan can find success and he said we played a lot of drop coverage last year... and that's because that's where Deandre is most comfortable.

He's got quick feet for a C and really good north/south speed too but he's not a 4 in today's NBA. When I look at the list of front courts in the west that @Pinwheel1 compiled I don't know why he even posted it. The KAT/Gobert pairing is the only one that's even conceivably slow enough for Ayton/Clingan and although I doubt either of our guys are slower than Rudy... KAT would fuck either one of them up on the perimeter. His handle, his advantage in terms of speed (not huge but enough) and the combo of his shot and explosiveness would have him putting up huge numbers on Deandre.

I think we will see it this season and the only thing we'll see is Deandre getting exposed in space and other teams having a really hard time getting a board on either end when those two play together. The boards won't outweigh the shitty D though.

5. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

Yeah with where DA gets his points and the fact that at least for now Clingan is going to be a garbage scorer (not that he won't score but he'll just get everything from cleaning up offensive glass and the dunker spot) I don't think spacing on offense would be a problem and we'd definitely have the advantage on the boards on both ends.

DA just isn't going to be able to handle the speed of the 4s in today's NBA. Him switching onto 4s here and there is one thing but if 4 is his primary position on defense, he'll have to be able to switch onto 3s here and there and always be trying to stay in front of 4s... sounds like a fucking nightmare to me but I think we'll see it and I hope I'm wrong.

6. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

Will Clingan even be in the rotation as a rookie? He looks a long ways off from being a two way NBA player. I'd think if he improves a bit he could take Moses Brown spot as 3rd string or such, then get minutes late in the season when we have given up.

7. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    He’ll be in the rotation.

8. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

When you can defend, set a solid screen, rebound, and pass as a center, you will be in the rotation.......if you can stay healthy.

9. Foxx

Foxx Active Member

You’re kidding right? Rebounds, blocks, screens, assists.. sorry we had a better option for bigs?

10. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I don't know, maybe for some basketball conversation about our team other than tank or not to tank, and when will GrAnt be traded.

11. AmirIcon

AmirIcon Well-Known Member

Writer, Director, Actor
    Terrible take.

12. Foxx

Foxx Active Member

Zach Edey, is that you?!

Cugel and AmirIcon like this.
  13. inconceivable

inconceivable Well-Known Member

We're halfway through June and Grant still a Blazer. Smh

Phatguysrule likes this.
  14. Whyachi

Whyachi Well-Known Member

I think Coach Billups will get him in a rotation. Probably very limited run at first, like Badji and Moses last season. Now if Ayton has to sit a few out, I could see Donovan starting the game. Maybe 25 minutes. Starting rookies is one of Cronin's favorite accomplishments.

15. beast blazer

beast blazer Well-Known Member

He doesn't have to be in just one location. He's got an elite mid range shot, and he'd have a nice size advantage over most PFs inside..

He has a 55% percentage from 16-3pt. That translates to a 36% 3pt shot, which is better than most PFs in the league.

You seem fixated on the idea that offense must be 1 center in the middle and 4 people hanging out on the 3pt line.

16. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    The only reason he wouldn't be in the rotation this year is if he gets pulled for making us win too much.

tlongII and Foxx like this.
  17. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Kevin Pelton on the Lowe Post mentioned that Blazer management was trying to follow the"Houston model," and start winning now.

Then the Nike Hoop Summit and related practices happened in Portland at the PF where everyone realized how loaded the 2025 draft is even beyond Flagg. He thinks there was a distinct pivot to building for the future long term with an appetite for losing short term.

18. Foxx

Foxx Active Member

I still make the argument we’re better off trying to acquire more 2025 lotto picks than to intentionally embrace a losing culture.

19. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

I don't see other teams letting them go so easily.

BIG Q likes this.
  20. wizenheimer

and you seem fixated on completely distorting things I've said in order to fit your arguments better

I'll make it easy for you to distort: I'm extremely skeptical that Clingan and Ayton can ever be an effective starting C & PF combo. I think they'd get boat-raced by better teams

I'm looking at the 4 conference finals teams:

* Boston's starting PF is Jayson Tatum. Their 2 C's are Horford and Porzingis; and Porzingis missed most of the playoffs so Boston went with Horford at the starting C. His average shot distance in the playoffs was 19 feet (Ayton 7.1). On Boston parked Horford out behind the 3 point line so the lane was open for all of the dribble-drives by Tatum, Brown, Jrue, and White

* Indiana went with 1 big in the playoffs, Myles Turner. He was also the primary big in the regular season. In that regular season his average shot distance was13.2 feet; in the playoffs it was 15.2 feet. Indiana's starting PF was Pascal Siakam; his backup was 6'8 Obi Toppin.

* Dallas went with 2 C's who are essentially the opposite of Ayton in Gafford and Lively. I don't believe they were ever on the floor at the same time (maybe a little?), even against Minny. Their Starting PF was PJ Washington; the backups were Derrick Jones and sometimes the often-injured Kleiber

* Minny is the example the fans of Ayton as the PF point at. But Ayton is not KAT; Clingan is not Gobert; and Simons is not Anthony Edwards. Blazers don't have a Jaden McDaniels either. And Dallas pretty easily beat Minny and their 90M triple towers with the budget pair of Gafford and Lively

obviously, looking at the top teams as templates for the current Blazer roster is mostly pointless. Portland is light years away from competing as a top team. The GM seems, IMO, to just be throwing darts at a board right now, with his off-hand. I wasn't happy Portland drafted Clingan at 7. He's a drop-cover C and I think those types of bigs have limitations. But now that's he's a Blazer...play him and see how far he can exceed those limitations. Start him at C; take that 7th pick out for a real test drive while the sticker is still on the window....and trade Ayton sooner rather than later