Rockets Get Ron Artest!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets' started by The Dream, Jul 29, 2008.

1. vegas2008

vegas2008 New Member

Good move, i heard that it is jackson+first round pick+green+some cash for Ron, scola isn't involved in the trade. This is a real deal, we can expect a better season. I think we could pass 2nd round playoff at least.

2. Really Lost One

Really Lost One Suspended

Yeah, Artest will be unrestricted next year...

3. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (durvasa @ Jul 29 2008, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>The Rockets will have Bird Rights on Artest, right? It may not be just a 1-year rental.

I look at it this way: before the draft, the Rockets parlayed their 25th pick into Donte Green, Joey Dorsey, and Memphis's 2nd rounder next year. Now, they've turned Donte Green and filler plus our 1st rounder for a legitimate "third scorer". I think our 1st rounder next year is roughly equivalent to Memphis's second rounder. Take that out of the equation, and we essentially turned our 25th pick and an expiring contract into Ron Artest and Joey Dorsey. That's pretty good.

Props to Les Alexander for paying some extra cash to get the deal done, as he did last year.</div>
    I would think that you guys would have his bird rights but RealGM lists him as a UFA. Don't really know what to think.

You do make a good case for the trade though. I hadn't considered that the Rockets needed a 3rd scorer but he does seem like a good fit in that regard. Also just read on ESPN that Artest did play under Adelman in Sacramento during the season in which he was traded to Sac from Indy. In those 40 games he averaged a career high 4.2 apg but a terrible 38% FGs. I'm guessing that Adelman and Artest have a good relationship and already have an idea of what Artest's role will be in 08-09 (probably more passing like he did with Sac for that brief stint). So I do see how he fits now and while they did get nice value collectively I still think they could have kept either Greene or the 09 pick and still got the trade done if they called Sac's bluff and waited a little longer.

We'll see how Artest affects team chemistry though. Again, I'd shop Battier around to at least gauge his value. As good as he is I think he could get you a nice upgrade at PG then you could use the MLE on cheap but productive FAs like Quinton Ross, Michael Finley, Delonte West, Devean George, Bonzi Wells, Fred Jones, Francisco Elson, Brian Skinner, etc.

4. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Black Mamba @ Jul 29 2008, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Bird rights? I thought those were only for people on rookie contracts, no? I have no idea how that works out.

I could've sworn that Artest was going to be an unrestricted FA next year though.</div>

From NBA Salary Faq:

25. How long must a player be with one team before the Larry Bird exception can be used?

Theoretically, a player with Bird rights can be traded at the trade deadline right before becoming a free agent and his new team can use the Bird exception to re-sign him. There is no specific tenure requirement with one team. The only rule is that the player can't have been waived or changed teams as a free agent for three seasons. However, if a team renounces a player (see question number 33), they can't use the Bird exception to re-sign him for one year.

I don't believe Artest has been waived or changed teams as a free agent in three years. So, we have the upper hand in resigning him next year, or we could do a sign and trade and get some other pieces. I'm not a salary cap expert, but I think that's right.

5. Really Lost One

I thought in order to be a restricted free agent, you must have a qualifying offer in place. I don't see that anywhere in Artest's contract

All I know is, if Artest is a restricted free agent, than Lamar Odom must be. And I know for a fact that Lamar is not restricted

6. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Black Mamba @ Jul 29 2008, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Bird rights? I thought those were only for people on rookie contracts, no? I have no idea how that works out.

I could've sworn that Artest was going to be an unrestricted FA next year though.</div>

We can't have Bird Rights on an unrestricted free agent? I think Artest is free to play wherever he likes, but we'll be able to go over the cap to keep him.

7. Really Lost One

Oh

I thought by bird rights you meant being able to match any other team's offer, like being a restricted free agent. My bad

But yeah, you guys do have his bird rights, I'm pretty positive.

8. shaq diesel

shaq diesel JBB JustBBall Member

well wanna say congrats to the rockets fans, gotta lot of depth now on the team, tmac/yao/ron ron is gonna be a nice combo

9. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    I'd think you can't use the bird rights to sign him as a FA, but when traded to your team you get the bird rights (2nd part is certain).

Bulls traded Chandler for PJ Brown and they got Brown's Bird Rights as well. And he's frikkin' 80 years old [​IMG]

10. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

Bobby Jackson back in Sactown again. haha

11. Lavalamp

Lavalamp Member

With Bird Rights you have to play 3 years in a row with the same team or something don`t you? Or is that for a player to be a RFA?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticKing @ Jul 29 2008, 11:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Bobby Jackson back in Sactown again. haha</div>
    He's not behind Bibby anymore!

But he's not with Adleman. [​IMG]

12. Lavalamp

Lavalamp Member

Dble post!

13. CelticKing

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lavalamp @ Jul 29 2008, 11:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>With Bird Rights you have to play 3 years in a row with the same team or something don`t you? Or is that for a player to be a RFA?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticKing @ Jul 29 2008, 11:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Bobby Jackson back in Sactown again. haha</div>

</div>

He still has Brad Miller from the good old days. [​IMG]

14. tim

tim Respect JPJ

Nice. This very well might push the Rockets over the top and get T Mac over and out of the first round.

15. Lavalamp

Lavalamp Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticKing @ Jul 29 2008, 11:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lavalamp @ Jul 29 2008, 11:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>With Bird Rights you have to play 3 years in a row with the same team or something don`t you? Or is that for a player to be a RFA?

</div>

</div>

Bobby Jackson + Brad Miller !!! go for the 'ship!

Jackson played 25 games with the Kings when Kmart was a rookie too.

16. CelticKing

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lavalamp @ Jul 29 2008, 11:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticKing @ Jul 29 2008, 11:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lavalamp @ Jul 29 2008, 11:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>With Bird Rights you have to play 3 years in a row with the same team or something don`t you? Or is that for a player to be a RFA?

</div>

</div>

</div>

Looks like the Kings are pushing to rebuild for the future, with KMart being the center piece.

17. Lavalamp

Lavalamp Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticKing @ Jul 29 2008, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lavalamp @ Jul 29 2008, 11:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticKing @ Jul 29 2008, 11:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lavalamp @ Jul 29 2008, 11:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>With Bird Rights you have to play 3 years in a row with the same team or something don`t you? Or is that for a player to be a RFA?

</div>

</div>

</div>

Looks like the Kings are pushing to rebuild for the future, with KMart being the center piece.

</div>

Yea, but at the moment other than Kmart, their roster doesn't seem very impressive even for the future. At least they will have plenty of cap flexibility in 2 years.

18. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

Oh! Along with Brian, I confused Bird Rights with being able to match any offer via RFA.

19. CelticKing

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lavalamp @ Jul 29 2008, 11:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticKing @ Jul 29 2008, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lavalamp @ Jul 29 2008, 11:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticKing @ Jul 29 2008, 11:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lavalamp @ Jul 29 2008, 11:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>With Bird Rights you have to play 3 years in a row with the same team or something don`t you? Or is that for a player to be a RFA?

</div>

</div>

</div>

</div>

Yea, but at the moment other than Kmart, their roster doesn't seem very impressive even for the future. At least they will have plenty of cap flexibility in 2 years.
    </div>

A run at LeBron? [​IMG]

20. Lavalamp

Lavalamp Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticKing @ Jul 30 2008, 12:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lavalamp @ Jul 29 2008, 11:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticKing @ Jul 29 2008, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lavalamp @ Jul 29 2008, 11:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticKing @ Jul 29 2008, 11:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>

He still has Brad Miller from the good old days. [​IMG]</div>

</div>

</div>

</div>

A run at LeBron? [​IMG]

</div>
    BRON TO COWTOWN!!!

Hmmm, much to Nets fans relief, Lebron didn't list Sactown in his fav 5 cities.