Scoot Henderson thread

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by blazerfan11, Dec 4, 2023.

1. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I’m ashamed of how quickly some of this fanbase has given up on this kid. It’s embarrassing.

2. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    Are you new here?

BBert and Natebishop3 like this.
  3. Natebishop3

Well, when is the last time we were in this situation? It’s been a while. Lol.

4. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    True. But there have been times in recent memory, where fans were quick to give up on players (myself included) because we have 0 patience.

5. AldoTrapani

AldoTrapani Well-Known Member

Only reason why I’m not super mad at the blazers picking this dude is everybody was wrong on him. Every major scout damn near called this guy some generational point guard. That’s definitely not the case here.. his ceiling is solid starter if that. Which isn’t to bad but the problem with scoot is what was advertised.

But hey hopefully we can trade him in the future while his stock is high to compliment Ant and Sharpe more

FlashWad likes this.
  6. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Then you'll get to cry about missing him when he's gone!

7. Natebishop3

I think it’s tough because that position has been All NBA good for so long. People forget what a young and developing point guard looks like.

I don’t think the fans have been ready for true rebuilding. I don’t think they have been ready to see what developing talent looks like. We have been good but not great for so long.

HailBlazers and Idog1976 like this.
  8. Cugel

Cugel The epitome of mediocrity

Canvas Repairman
    I am sure Scoot is aware he is underperforming. I imagine in the offseason he will deal with his shortcomings ferociously.

9. FlashWad

FlashWad Well-Known Member

I don’t think blind faith is a good stance to take on any aspect in life. I’m not giving up on him quite yet but every aspect of his game looks horrid, it’s actually really concerning.. why didn’t he work on his broken shot in his two years being a pro ect.. shouldn’t the gleauge coaches told him he won’t be bow to just blow by everyone in the nba? either you have the talent and ability or not. There are busts all the time in the nba and the signs are often seen very early.

10. Labinot41

Labinot41 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say embarrassing. I would call it realistic. Scoot gives me huge Mudiay or DSJ vibes

11. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    Then you should also be OK with him taking a three point shot whenever he is open. right? :)

12. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    His shot is so bad I can barely believe my eyes. There's no consistency to his form, his footwork getting set, none of it. Most of the time his momentum is taking him anywhere but straight up, and he just launches the ball like he's on the playground. He took a shot last night where he rushed up to the three point line and launched up a three literally off one foot while his momentum in the air took him forward a good three feet if not more. Surprisingly, he missed. Scoot needs to SLOW THE FUCK DOWN and pick his spots to use his speed. To me he looks like a strong, fast player with no skills other than passing. Who the hell has been "teaching/training" this guy to play basketball? Billups and his staff need to break this guy and rebuild his game from the bottom up.

13. Idog1976

Idog1976 Well-Known Member

I look to the stars.
    That's a ridiculous cherry picked group, Blazers only who we drafted young. I'm in the "a bit concerned about Scoot" camp, but that is a really odd group to single out. I think more useful is looking at how many players improved dramatically in their 3rd-4th seasons regardless of age or team. You will find that lots of players had breakouts further down the line. Look at SGA and Haliburton. They both showed flashes their rookie seasons for sure but look at where they are now compared to their rookie seasons and its night and day. I'm of course cherry picking amazing outcomes to counter your argument. I'm just saying taking only blazers who were highschool players is a really weird metric to judge his future by. The "he's young" excuse work with lots and lots and lots of players who break out further in their careers. Some even have atrocious early seasons only to become Superstars later when they put it all together.

14. beast blazer

beast blazer Well-Known Member

Cherry picked? Those are all the players the players have drafted out of high school, unless I'm forgetting someone.

But sure, let's look at every player ever drafted out of high school. Find me how many started off playing as bad as Scoot, that went on make at least one all star game.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_high_school_draftees

15. Idog1976

Idog1976 Well-Known Member

I look to the stars.
    Blazers was the issue, not high school draftees. Although, even that is too narrow IMO. 19 year-old draftees might be more apt as otherwise you're looking at 2005 and before, a very different era.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2023
    BankTeller likes this.
  16. Samuel

Samuel James “Hollywood” Robinson

a watched shot doesn’t boil. check back next season fam.

theprunetang and blazerkor like this.
  17. beast blazer

beast blazer Well-Known Member

It should be easier to find someone who had a big turn around amongst the players that came into the league at the youngest ages. And you couldn't find an example among those 41. Ok, then how many examples can you give me of any rookie who played as bad as Scoot their rookie year and went on to make an all star game? I bet there are a few, but not more than 5, in NBA history, vs thousands that didn't.

Point being: "losing hope in Scoot" isn't a character flaw, it's just understanding probability. If Scoot goes onto become an all-star level player, it will be one of the most impressive development journies in NBA history.

18. mook

mook The 2018-19 season was the best I've seen

Buy a recipe binder at CookbookPeople.com
    It's kind of weird to me how little anyone discusses him starting to wear glasses. I mean, OF COURSE he can't shoot from distance if he can't see the fuckin' hoop.

I had laser surgery on my eyes when I was 24. I'd never worn glasses, and was mostly blind in one eye. Before then I was a pretty mediocre shot with a shotgun, despite having shot since I was literally 11. Within a few years I became one of the better shots anywhere I went. I could just judge distances so much better. I had depth perception.

I rapidly improved because I'd spent a dozen years working really hard at this craft to go from completely horrible (I sucked soooo badly at age 11--I literally hit about 5% of what I aimed at in the first three years) to mediocre at 24. It suddenly seemed so much easier for me, and I wanted to do shoot more and more.

I'm not saying Scoot will suddenly become a deadeye, but having a guard suddenly able to see may have an impact similar to growing several inches over a year. The results won't come all at once, but you look back a few years later and it's just mind blowing how much progress has been made.

19. robson

robson Active Member

So, seriously, why was he no.2 if he's blind?

20. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Is it safe to say he has a problem with his shot yet?