Trade T-Mac

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets' started by YaoMing03-04, Nov 23, 2004.

1. clutchcity04

clutchcity04 JBB JustBBall Member

the problem is not t-mac or yao, its van gundy, he is coaching the wrong style of basketball for the rockets. they are a young team and need to run the court and get more possessions. van gundy is too defense oriented, when we don't really have any great defensive players. they key for the rockets, in my opinion is to play faster basketball, and run the court.

2. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting clutchcity04:</div><div class="quote_post">the problem is not t-mac or yao, its van gundy, he is coaching the wrong style of basketball for the rockets. they are a young team and need to run the court and get more possessions. van gundy is too defense oriented, when we don't really have any great defensive players. they key for the rockets, in my opinion is to play faster basketball, and run the court.</div>

The Rockets are not a young team at all. They are the oldest team in the league, in fact. And one of their stars (Yao) can't run up and down the floor. We're also a very poor defensive rebounding team, which also limits transition baskets. The way we're made up right now, we'll never be a fastbreak team. However, we should try to push the ball up the floor a little quicker so we can run our offense before the defense gets set. One of the reasons we turn the ball over so much on passes is because we put our offense at a serious disadvantage by allowing defenses the time to setup.

3. netnexus

netnexus JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting ZhuangCorp:</div><div class="quote_post">Tmac is one of the top 2 talents in the league right now.

I think however, TMAC needs to change his game. In Orlando, he grew so accustomed to throwing up jump shots cause the rest of his team sucks. He needs to learn, in Houston, to get the ball to Yao first, and feed off him. He's still taking lots of bad jump shots with 20 seconds left on the shot clock. Once TMAC can adjust his game, i think Rockets will start winning.</div>
    i don't believe that t-mac is one of the top two talents in the game. i believe that honor goes to kevin garnett and kobe bryant.

4. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting netnexus:</div><div class="quote_post">i don't believe that t-mac is one of the top two talents in the game. i believe that honor goes to kevin garnett and kobe bryant.</div>
    I believe it belongs to KG and Duncan, Kobe being a close a third.

5. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- JBB The Same One

Bibby, Hamilton or Redd? wow....

6. ChicagoSportsFan

ChicagoSportsFan JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting YaoMing03-04:</div><div class="quote_post">Its obvious that the T-Mac experiment failed, just like the Steve Francis did. So who is next, These are the trade scenarios

Trade

Tracy McGrady for Mike Bibby and a second round draft pick
    Tracy Mcgrady and Jim Jackson for Richard Hamilton
    Tracy McGrady for Michael Redd

All of these trades would help Houston, and these guys will make Yao a superstar something Steve Francis and Tracy McGrady could do</div>

no one can make Yao a superstar but himself. He'll decide if he wants to be a great center. Tmac, steve, rip, and redd has nothing to do with Yao dominating the post.

7. supaflyz

supaflyz JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting YaoMing03-04:</div><div class="quote_post">Its obvious that the T-Mac experiment failed, just like the Steve Francis did. So who is next, These are the trade scenarios

Trade

Tracy McGrady for Mike Bibby and a second round draft pick
    Tracy Mcgrady and Jim Jackson for Richard Hamilton
    Tracy McGrady for Michael Redd

All of these trades would help Houston, and these guys will make Yao a superstar something Steve Francis and Tracy McGrady could do</div>

wtf tracy and jim jackson for richard hamilton, that b one of the dumbest trade, and mike bibby is no where near tracy athleticism.

8. flamehead

flamehead JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

????
    first of all trade of mcgrady is absurd. this is a new-look rockets and they have only been playing for a month, and of course there will be kinks in the rockets' game. give tmac and yao some more time to develop, with two such talented, not to mention already all-star level players, success would soon come houston's way. i can tell tracy is still struggling to accept his new role on houston, but he is handling it professionally.

firstly,like michiganave17 said, being a superstar ultimately depends on your heart. being surrounded by good players makes your life on the team easier, thats all. my team (timberwolves) can have jason kidd as the point guard, but does it make KG a superstar? No, its because of KG's incredible heart and passion of the game.

All i can say is, give tmac some more time to develop and wait and see. if the rockets are still inconsitent after the all-star break, i have nothing to say. but keep in mind team chemistry isnt something a team develops overnight.

9. drm2dnk

drm2dnk JBB JustBBall Member

Hey <strike>stupid biased yao fan</strike>..if you think abt it ..don't blame yao's foul trouble+less shooting on tmac and the other role players. If you actually watch the games...they pass to yao...yao posts and loses the ball sometimes.. other times he gets into foul trouble and he sometimes misses consecutive shots. By that time he'll tire or be fouled out..how does he get 25 shots then? And if you want a good passer I'd rather get steve nash than bibby..but both aren't worth tmac..tmac keeps us in games..I'm not dissing yao or tmac ..i'm dissing this biased yao fan for being so dumb blaming all of yao's mistakes and less shooting to tmac. Tmac fans don't complain to yao for his turnovers. We look at their positives..which outweighs the negatives.. duhhhmbass..let me say it another way..the games that we lose by a margin..sometimes yao makes costly turnovers or tmac misses costly shots..etc., that's all part of the luck of the game..no need to whine abt yao not getting enough touches because for example you gotta think how much touches yao could really get when he's in foul trouble or turning it over or missing consecutive shots.....etc

<font color="red"><font size="-2">Personal Attacks Will Not Be Tolerated- Trip</font></font>

10. netnexus

netnexus JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">I believe it belongs to KG and Duncan, Kobe being a close a third.</div>
    nah not duncan.. not from the 03-04 season anyways.. he was not as consistent as kobe or KG.. but each to his own.

I think a T-mac trade would be foolish this early on in the season. wait till the all star break before you start jumping to shout trade

11. tradebark

tradebark JBB JustBBall Member

I'm a huge Yao fan but the fact of the matter is that he hasn't improved nearly as much as people were expecting (especially after his performance in the Olympics).. Granted, T-Mac doesn't seem to be fitting into the JVG system well either, but that may change as the season goes on.

The Rockets right now are playing like the Magic + Yao Ming, rather than the Rockets + Tmac, if you get what I mean.

12. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

It's too early to tell. McGrady as we all no is an NBA superstar no question about that. He still needs to adjust with actually having an option, and the west and everything else. It's too early in the season to start making predictions like this. The T'Wolves started off badly last year but, finished it great and the sonics did just the opposite. We definitely need to wait untill the Rockets play a signifficant amount of games.

13. ZhuangCorp

ZhuangCorp JBB JustBBall Member

I think rockets should run when they can, like the spurs with parker and Ginobli.
    But if they don't have an opening, let Yao set up and run through him.

Rockets definitely should be a defensive oriented team, but they need a defensive PF. On the offensive end, they need a solid point guard, like Carlos Arroyo who runs an efficient offense.

14. chineseafro

chineseafro JBB JustBBall Member

All the rockets need is a point guard, yao is starting to get going and tmac is finding his place in JVG's system. PATIENCE!

15. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    Ward is not starter material these days. However, the right point guard cannot and will not be found in the free agent market, so we'd have to pull a trade or just wait till the draft. I'm for trading, but the thing is we don't have any attractive pieces that will get us a starter.

16. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

Good point, right now the only people that have some value and can actually be given up are Taylor, Howard, and Lue maybe. But, they won't bring any quality players in return and trading one of the PF's would kill our front court. I think if given the chance during the season, we should trade some of our backcourt for a quality PF and in turn, trade Taylor for a true point guard. However, with Sura back, it should strengthen our backcourt but I consider him more of a swingman rather than a playmaker. I dunno, haven't been following his career. If we do get a true point, our backcourt would be incredible, with a deep bench, pretty sweet starting lineup, and decent low post. BIG if though...

17. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    Sura can play both guard spots, but is far more effective as a shooting guard rather than a point guard. He needs the ball to contribute. However, that does not mean he is a worse point guard than Ward. In fact, Sura has a lot more talent and a bit more passing skills than Ward IMO.

18. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

It's way too early to start talking about trading Tmac. Tmac to Yao will be a good duo, like everyone said all they need is some chemistry.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting tradebark:</div><div class="quote_post">The Rockets right now are playing like the Magic + Yao Ming, rather than the Rockets + Tmac, if you get what I mean.</div>

They are basically the Magic +Yao. The Rockets have 3 starters that was on the Magic last year and they gave up 3 starters in the Tmac deal.

19. Mag

Mag JBB MacBeth

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Rockets right now are playing like the Magic + Yao Ming, rather than the Rockets + Tmac, if you get what I mean.</div> Couldn't have said it better myself. The Rockets aren't the same as last year, in two ways. One, we have a totally different team. And two, we don't play the same way. I don't think defense should be the main idea here. I know it is important to stop the opponent, but seriously, we should use what we have at an advantage. We can be a good half court team, yes. But, why not take it on the break once in a while? The effect Barrett had on that game, where he pushed the ball up the court reminded me of watching the Spurs play. That brought back memories of the Rockets in 94, where Hakeem could run the break. We don't NEED Yao on every play. Why not let people like Lue, Tracy, Dre', and hopefully Sura, push the ball up. Whenever we wait for Yao, defenses set themselves up. In my eyes, missing a fast break shot is better than waiting for Yao and not getting a shot at all. We're not playing last years Rocket Basketball, which I see as a good thing. Our team hasn't established themselves in the league as a certain type of team. We aren't the Kings, Mavs, and potentially the Suns, who can shoot, run, and score 120. We could be the team of last year, who beat you on defense, and just barely outscored you. I think we should be like last years Spurs, or last years Pistons or Pacers. Who just beat you. They did what they needed to, to win. Nothing fancy, they got the job done. And if you look at teams like that, they have done well. Pistons won a ring in the past 5 years, and so have the Spurs. The Pacers always seem to get far in the playoffs. But I still think we can establish our own way to play. It seems nowadays, there isn't a supporting cast. Like the Jazz and Sonics, they play as if everyone can put in 20 a game. Their are no Kobe-Shaq, Hakeem-Clyde type teams. I really think we should bring that back, have that type of team. A team that has two focal points, and the rest are our, Mario Elie's, or Kenny Smith. Even (I'm hoping) our Sam Cassell. Just my 2 cents.

20. YaoMing03-04

YaoMing03-04 JBB Banned Member

Well the Rockets should have tried to sign Brent Barry . He would have been a great fit