What if we trade nobody?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Everything Beagle, Feb 1, 2024.

1. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

Why would they need to be ending contracts? We should have cap room for years...

2. SharpeScooterShooter

SharpeScooterShooter SharpeShooter

Freeloader
    you don’t see how this :
    Is completely negated by this?:

the question I posed I believe you responded to was name a realistic guy we could trade for. Or who is available we could realistically get?

3. SharpeScooterShooter

Freeloader
    it’s hard to solidify one’s opinion when they continually say we can do this and we can do that but can never answer to the specifics.
    @Phatguysrule i wasn’t singling you out as it seems you have assumed based on your responses to posts I made not directed at you.
    But this is the forum mo. fans think we need to make moves or its doomsday. But they can’t specify the moves, but then get mad when a move is made they don’t agree with or no moves are made at all. It’s the typical run around every years by some in here.

That’s all man. Nothing more than that.
    I just want those who continually get all worked up to provide specifics if they think it’s so needed. But they can’t

all good.

4. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Plenty of us have posted deals we'd like to see. I'm not going to "melt down" if we don't make a move, I see the value of vets. I also see the value of assets acquired from them. I don't think keeping Brogdon is the right move, personally.

5. Phatguysrule

Then I'd package him for better picks in another deal. Now is probably the best time to get max value out of him.

There is a deal out there for Brogdon that would be better than helping us win games now. Does it have to happen now? No. But it should happen eventually. We should get at least a mid first round pick out of him at some point, or package him for a better player than himself or a pick. I think now is probably the best to do something since he's been productive and relatively healthy.

Am I going to be upset if we don't deal him? No. But it would be a small strike against Joe, IMO.

Right now, Joe doesn't have many strikes against him IMO.

6. RonBrewer

RonBrewer Well-Known Member

I say keep Brogdon for another year then send him to Milwaukee as Dame Dolla will be ready to come home. Hell he's ready now.

7. RonBrewer

To add, I firmly believe when we are ready to make our run Dame will be back with the team and a key cog. By that time he will play off the ball and help us get across the finish line and in the end, trading him helped build the team he came back to.

WIN-WIN

SharpeScooterShooter likes this.
  8. SharpeScooterShooter

Freeloader
    But see, this is what seems to keep being missed. People keep talking about winning games as not a good thing, but he brings more value than us just winning more games. Again, his veteran leadership and veteran leadership of Ant from Dame has been expressed many times by myself AND Ant in the video posted and is completely dismissed as having no value. That's just crazy to me. I believe a mid first is not worth walking away from that type of mentorship that is glaringly needed in our potential long term future guard. We could easily draft a bust and be left with nothing.

And I was mainly addressing that point to izuza who completely ignored it and went on to say the organization(implying those who agree with the organization, if they don't trade him) are simply short sighted.

I'm fully confident if he continues to play like he has, we will be able to get a 1st for him next year at the deadline. People say but his contract ends. So did Grant's when he came here and he resigned. If he goes to a contender and helps them win, he will likely want to stay and try to win another, thus resigning. So the rebuttals brought up, to me, seems moot compared to the value of having a veteran in a position we are grooming currently.
    I have also said i'm fine trading him if the return is great, but that's highly unlikely, so I don't see it as a mark on Joe if he doesn't trade him unless he passes up an all star caliber player for him, which isn't gonna happen.

I agreeing with the potential nonmove by the organization must just be shortsighted like the organization. lol. I know you didn't say that...

I do agree with you, overall Joe has done a good job. But some think he has done a horrible job because of the returns from the trades he has made. Those are the same folks who think CJ could have netted Butler, or PG. Just not realistic. They set themselves up to be pissed with unrealistic expectations and then take it out on the forum when thier thoughts don't come to fruition. Those people should be expecting pushback for their pissed posts. lol.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
  9. SharpeScooterShooter

Freeloader
    There are degrees in value though. I don't equate a mid first for Brodgon as equal value. I see it as a loss based on what he brings to the table. And there really is a couple of people who continually posts about how pissed he is gonna be if nothing happens. Those are the folks who need to hang in the meltdown thread. Further proven by one of them getting all personal when its mentioned.

Its funny how those who express being pissed get pissed at people telling them where to go get pissed at. lol.

10. SharpeScooterShooter

Freeloader
    Wouldn't that be something? lol Bucks would never do it though, if anything in spite. Cant admit to such failure like that... unless they actually win, which seems to be diminishing odds at this point with their inconsistent play.

RonBrewer likes this.
  11. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Good point. If the young player was worth taking back a bad contract then that would work. But he would need to be really good.

12. RonBrewer

You're probably right but they are finna be on the hook for a lotta money, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. But i FULLY expect Dame to be back in a Portland uniform again in the next three years

SharpeScooterShooter likes this.
  13. SharpeScooterShooter

Freeloader
    What teams have young all star potential prospects on their team that is also ready to try to win it now and give that player up for a player of Malcom's caliber? I know of none. The closest we have seen lately is clippers trading SGA for PG. Malcom is no PG. I do not see any team who would trade a younger, potentially better player for Malcom, especially after seeing how SGA turned out for OKC.

Its the same reason no one would trade Sharpe for anything less than an All star player. It just isn't realistic.

14. 1 Eye Jack

1 Eye Jack Well-Known Member

Vice President for Display company
    Personally I’d be disappointed if Brogdon isn’t traded. Really like him as a player but every minute he’s on the court is one less minute for Sharpe and Scoot. They need court time

Phatguysrule and blazerkor like this.
  15. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

wut? is anybody really saying trade Brogdon for an all-star level prospect. They are suggesting that maybe he could be traded for a prospect like Camara or Jabari Walker, a smaller contract than Brogdon, and a protected 1st that might convey and possibly might not

illmatic99, RR7 and Phatguysrule like this.
  16. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

Yeah that would be best case. I think more likely we'll get a pick that is very likely to convey from a team that will be in the playoffs (I'm hoping in 2025) and some expirings but damn a really nice second round prospect and a first that may or may not convey would be sweet.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  17. SharpeScooterShooter

Freeloader
    Full circle now huh? I mentioned this before, but Ill try to be clearer.

We have enough of those types of prospects on our team and plenty of future picks to continue to draft those types of players. We have enough of those types to develop.

Sharpe
    Rupert
    Scoot
    Reath
    Manaya
    Murray
    Walker
    Camara
    Brown
    Badji

That's 10 PLAYERS!!! All in year one or two needing development.(Brown might be a year or two older, but still needs develpment to become anything)

Then we have two picks in this coming draft potentially, our picks in the future years with some seconds and more 1sts in the late part of the decade
    I see no reason why we should trade the value of Malcom for another Walker right now. we have plenty of players to develop and determine what they are.

I AM SAYING if we trade him, the return should be better than that and if we are taking on bad contracts then the prospect should have near all star potential, and again, that just isnt happening based on what I explained bout contending teams.
    And my opinion is assumed short sighted lol. I just don't get it.

18. Phatguysrule

I'm not sure how the word "All Star" got involved in this conversation...

19. SharpeScooterShooter

Freeloader
    I brought it up. A very good player now, would be a young prospect with all star potential, like Sharpe and Scoot. Because we have enough role player types to develop. Why do so many fixate on the minutia and ignore the meat of the details provided? .....:banghead:

20. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

We absolutely need more prospects for our rebuild honestly because you've got to play a numbers game on which guys will pop and which guys will bust. A bigger point guard who is around the talent level and age of Jabari or Toumani would be really nice, especially if he came with a conditional first rounder in exchange for Malcolm.

Both Malcolm and Jerami are much more valuable on teams that will be trying to win games in the playoffs this year than they are to us. By the time those that you listed who pop are ready to majorly contribute to playoff wins, I doubt Malcolm or Jerami will be at that level anymore. In the meantime get this generation's version of Earl Watson who Dame has referred to multiple times as a great mentor... we don't need guys who are just a rung below all star and take up so much usage that could be going to our young guys, we just need high character bench vets who understand the game and what being a pro means.

BonesJones likes this.