What will it take for Chauncey to get fired?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Rastapopoulos, Jan 14, 2024.

1. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

I'm sorry I annoy you, that is not my intention. I too have been annoyed by people who pointed out things I was wrong about, so I get the natural reaction. I don't mean for it to be personal though.

I haven't looked up clips from the NOP series and I previously addressed that. I was addressing the part of your post that I knew right away was inaccurate. I was hopeful you'd be willing to respond to facts proving your statement was incorrect instead of trying to shift the focus to a personal insult or redirecting the topic away from where you were sharing inaccurate information.

Stotts was an imperfect coach, coaching an imperfect roster, and therefore the results were, impfect.

2. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

After preaching aggressive defense and playing the center higher on screens, Billups got a younger, more athletic team and resorted to the most passive scheme possible, which is becoming an even worse option as star guards get better and better at shooting 3s off the dribble. It's very strange to me.

Whyachi likes this.
  3. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

You remind me of why I don't often come here anymore. Your posts read so whiny and pissy... You need to get out of your feelings...

You can include pick and pops with Butters.

But when Dame got trapped, over and over, and over, Terry NEVER adjusted and he is the reason why we lost. I was mainly speaking of the New Orleans series but it applies in both.

NEVER ONCE did I call Terry a bad coach. He was a solid coach who couldn't adjust in the playoffs.

Now quit crying so much. Jesus...

Phatguysrule and BonesJones like this.
  4. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

I'm sure every coach would like to go back and make adjustments in series they lost. No doubt Portland did things that series that were sub-optimal. The same would be true if Billups ever made a playoff series and the same will be true with our next coach.

There may be someone who believes Stotts should be going on year 13, though I'm not sure who that person is; it's certainly not me.

5. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Nobody likes the actually guy...

6. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Anyone who says we should've kept him. Next season would've been Year 13 for him in Portland.

7. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

In that season we lost to NO, Nurk had something like 41 of his assists were to Harkless on cuts to the basket. We should have put that on steroids in the playoffs.

BonesJones likes this.
  8. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

Again, I don't want to move the focus of this thread away from the facts or spreading of misinformation, and turn it into a personal attack.

The facts continue to be that adjustments were made in the Golden St series. We were not spamming PnR's with Dame at the end of the series. If you go back and watch the games, you will see this to be the case. Because of this, I continue to stand by my original objection to saying we ran "pick and roll after pick and roll" in that series. It's just not accurate. Not sure why you are so resistant to admit it.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2024
  9. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

I read it differently than you. As I recall, the dabate back in 2020/21 was if we had the right guy building competitive rosters and Stotts was holding them back or if we rolling out a subpar roster around an All-NBA player and needed to get a GM who could put legit NBA players around Dame; from there we could see if Stotts could coach at a high enough level in the playoffs.

There was a chance that a new (fresh) GM could've came in and put some nice supporting players around Dame and Stotts would've failed. That may have resulted in us firing him in one or two seasons ago and therefore he wouldn't be going on his 13th season. However, in my opinion, we went the wrong direction, and tried to see if a new coach could do better with the Dame/CJ core. I didn't love the Hart/Grant forward combo, but it was better than any forward combo Stotts ever had an opportunity to coach in Dame's prime. Just the thought of giving Stotts a chance to coach a starting lineup that had 5 guys who deserved to be in the league before firing him would've been a decent start.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  10. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

in an attempt to divert the conversation from just-Stotts-all-the-time, I'll point out that that in the 2021-22 season, the season he was fired, Olshey trotted out a opening night roster that had:

6'2 Dame
    6'2 Dennis Smith
    6'3 CJ
    6'3 Powell
    6'3 Ant
    6'3 McLemore

6'4 Keljin Blevins
    6'6 CJ Elleby

that was more than 50% of the opening night roster

that completely idiotic dysfunctional mess was Olshey's idea of doing his job. That's what Stotts had to contend with

e_blazer, Phatguysrule and Tince like this.
  11. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

Bingo... the root of the problem was always roster configuration.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  12. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

I think that's what Billups knows. I think Stotts was trying to play to the strengths of his roster.

Tince likes this.
  13. Whyachi

Whyachi Well-Known Member

last time Cronin spoke, he said he is happy about 14 times. (Happy with a flawed system and heavy losses?)

Cronin used to play college ball. He's not a "don't know much about the game" GM. He's there at home games watching a system that has little chance to succeed. Which is all part of the larger scope of his new plans. Play as hard as you can, here's your checks, that was a fun loss you guys. Now watch me smile and grab some hot new rookies.

14. Whyachi

the reporters current narrative is "the Blazers are trying to lose". I'm calling hogwash on this statement.

Sometimes the Blazers will light the place up, but there's still an L attached to the end of games.

Simons drops 40/10, Blazers lose
    Grant almost hit 50, Pistons won
    Ayton 30 & 20, nope, not good enough
    Banton career high numbers, L L L

the Blazers play hard, they are not trying to lose. Coach Billups runs a system that makes winning more complicated. In turn the messy ball helps Cronin look like a champion while drafting the best of the best.

15. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

I think the Blazers are trying to lose.

Whyachi likes this.
  16. Samuel

Samuel James “Hollywood” Robinson

olshey bad. stotts good, but stale. bad coaching search and follow up hire.

17. Whyachi

currently, yes. We're watching 2nd level losing with Ant, Grant, Malcolm on their annual paid vacation.

I'm referring to 1st level losing, when guys had big nights and the team was healthier.

We saw it almost all last season too. ~The opponents just seemed to find ways to win~ Usually from nobody guarding the 3 point line, with occasional Blazer whoopsies and long boards that resulted in easy opponent fast breaks.

It's like a lot of things that didn't work last season, were re-introduced this season.

the Blazers "trying to lose" is a variation of topics. If it's broke, don't fix it. The reward for a busted system is ping pong mania.

Tince likes this.
  18. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

the new coach search was an abortion because Olshey should have been fired first and the new GM should have decided about Stotts. Instead, Olshey was allowed by shitty ownership to deflect from himself and effectively scapegoat Stotts

personally, I was ambivalent about Stotts after the Pels series, but by 2015, I wanted Olshey gone

Phatguysrule and Tince like this.
  19. Whyachi

Olshey picked Zach Collins at #10, Swanigan #23. why?? because according to the Blazers former GM, the following players stunk:

Jarrett Allen
    OG Anunoby
    Kyle Kuzma
    Josh Hart
    Dillon Brooks (arguably stinky)
    Malik Monk
    Bam Adebayo
    Donovan Mitchell

Lillard and Stotts ended up waiting for Zach & Meyers Leonard to develop. A few good years with Nurkic almost redeemed Olshey's pritchslap skills. But some injuries and wonky contracts sent Olshey back to the top of the blame board.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  20. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

I love it. He brought out receipts. Never denied the basement though.